Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering damper settings

Hi All -

I'm a bit of a n00b when it comes to bikes with steering dampers, so I thought I'd drop a line to solicit some feedback rom you guys..

How do you guys generally set your dampers up? I've got an Ohlins installed as standard equipment, and it can be adjusted from non existant, to stiff enough that you can barely move the bars. A couple of clicks off the full stiffness though, feels pretty much the same as no damping at all..

How do you guys set yours up? Does the loose feel a few clicks out equate to zero damping (ie when it's wobbling fast, does it dampen more than what appears detectable by simple wobbling my hands on the bars?)

I'd like to set it as aggresive as I can, yet I still want to be able to change direction quickly and/or steer in normal 'commuting'...

Or do you guys adjust on the fly, depending on conditions? I'd think not, as you don't want to get it wrong whilst you're belting down the freeway....

Ta all...

Originally posted by kryten2001 View Post
    I'd like to set it as aggresive as I can
    are you experiencing a lot of tankslap on the bike?

if not, for what reason do you want to increase the stiffness of the damper?

you will not be able to simulate high speed damping force by wobbling your hands on the bars- the force required to move a liquid through a restriction is exponentially proportional to the velocity of the liquid through the orifice (clearly you cannot simulate a high amplitude high frequency tank slap by wiggling the bars by hand)

imho the damper shouldnt interfere with steering operation.

ive ridden a bike with a very stiff damper and it was shit. symptoms similar to having binded steering head bearings- bike weaves from left to right rather than rides in a straight line, also unsettling feeling at lean angle reducing precision- the reason for such a stiff damper was the bike was a modified gsxr1100 that apparently 'needed' a lot of damping to control a lot of headshake.
    Originally posted by Bendito
    If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

Hi All -

I'm a bit of a n00b when it comes to bikes with steering dampers, so I thought I'd drop a line to solicit some feedback rom you guys..

How do you guys generally set your dampers up? I've got an Ohlins installed as standard equipment, and it can be adjusted from non existant, to stiff enough that you can barely move the bars. A couple of clicks off the full stiffness though, feels pretty much the same as no damping at all..

How do you guys set yours up? Does the loose feel a few clicks out equate to zero damping (ie when it's wobbling fast, does it dampen more than what appears detectable by simple wobbling my hands on the bars?)

I'd like to set it as aggresive as I can, yet I still want to be able to change direction quickly and/or steer in normal 'commuting'...

Or do you guys adjust on the fly, depending on conditions? I'd think not, as you don't want to get it wrong whilst you're belting down the freeway....

Ta all...
      On my road bike I removed it and haven't missed it in 8 years, on the track bike its there but backed right off as gozer said you really want it on the minium setting possible. A steering damper exists only as a plan "B" plan "A" is correct suspension setup a steering damper is in no way a subsititue for this it is for covering symptoms with you setup that you have decided to live with for whatever reason. In day to day riding the steering damper 99.8% of the time does nothing. Its not something I find needs regularly adjusting IMO.
      Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Originally posted by g0zer View Post
        are you experiencing a lot of tankslap on the bike?

if not, for what reason do you want to increase the stiffness of the damper?
        My preference would be to make the dampening as stiff as possible, to deal as aggresively with any headshake that may occur - without screwing too much with the rideability of the bike. Or to be more accurate, I want the most aggressive damping available without feeling like it's there. That's why I was wondering what most people do in regards to the setup...

I've not experienced any, no (the bike is brand new), but I do want to set it up in such a way that wobbles and wheelspin are dealt with as quickly and as aggresively as possible - whilst I'm learning to ride this new bike, anyway..

The traction control is set to the most aggresive (level 8), and I wanted to do something similar in the damping department - but I didn't want to ruin the quality of the ride as well. The last thing I want is something that's going to screw the the bikes ability to quickly change direction - but I also want to be able to effectively deal with any wobbles from the front that may occur... I don't mind the back moving around, but when you get the front end wobbles it's brown underpants time (for me anyway)

Cheers guys.

Comment

well, you *could* do the following...

stiffen damper
          pop wheelie
          turn bars
          land wheelie

see if it slaps too much. if it doesn't, back it off a little and try again...

What they said though...

Bear in mind that its a *damper* too. If its interfering with your ability to turn the bars, its probably *way* too stiff.

Dampers, by nature (be it suspension, steering or whatever) are designed to filter out *HIGH SPEED* oscillation, as previously mentioned, you won't be able to simulate that by turning the bars by hand... turning them by hand likely won't be quick enough to make the valving do much...
          “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

I want the most aggressive damping available without feeling like it's there.
            If that's all you want, couldn't you just turn it up gradually until you feel it, then back it off a bit?

Comment

Originally posted by Nero Diablo View Post
              ... A steering damper exists only as a plan "B" plan "A" is correct suspension setup a steering damper is in no way a subsititue for this it is for covering symptoms with you setup that you have decided to live with for whatever reason.
              I don't see why a damper can't "assist" and help focus your attention on suspension setup though and remove the concern of head shake. Removes the concerns of adverse suspension setup whilst in the process of tuning.

I would like one but still consider it somewhat of a luxury. (I'm having big handling problems atm but getting there)

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
                well, you *could* do the following...

stiffen dampener
                pop wheelie
                turn bars
                land wheelie

see if it slaps too much. if it doesn't, back it off a little and try again...

What they said though...

Bear in mind that its a *dampener* too. If its interfering with your ability to turn the bars, its probably *way* too stiff.

Dampener
                s, by nature (be it suspension, steering or whatever) are designed to filter out *HIGH SPEED* oscillation, as previously mentioned, you won't be able to simulate that by turning the bars by hand... turning them by hand likely won't be quick enough to make the valving do much...

Comment

^^ both dampener and damper are acceptable. damper is 2 less letters..
                  “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by Bendito View Post
                    If that's all you want, couldn't you just turn it up gradually until you feel it, then back it off a bit?
                    yeah well that's the crux of it.. Like I originally said I'm a noob with dampers... I presume such a setting would still leave the damper effective for high-speed wobbles?

Comment

after many many threads on the subject- the internet has decided to standardise the term as damper.

only troublemakers still call them dampeners thro

yeah well that's the crux of it.. Like I originally said I'm a noob with dampers... I presume such a setting would still leave the damper effective for high-speed wobbles?
                      i can understand the wanting to play with the range of adjustment- but i disagree with the thinking behind making a change to the factory set point based on the assumption that stiffer WILL be better.

stiffer is only better if its not already stiff enough.
                      Originally posted by Bendito
                      If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

mine is up about half way on the track, and i cant feel it whilst riding at low speeds in the pits. i only had minor head shake (slow shaking of the bars, not them beiung riped from ur hands) whilst riding over what is close enough to motorcross woops on full throttle. u want to feel it moving under neath you or you wont know the bikes limits.

i.e. hayden cant ride the ducati becuase its set to trust the setup, he prefers to let the bike slide under his own control. unless u can trust that this pice of road is the same as the last piece of road, u need to retain some feel.
                        The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Comment

after many many threads on the subject- the internet has decided to standardise the term as damper.

only troublemakers still call them dampeners thro

Comment

Never a truer word was spoken.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X