Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is your bike safe???

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is your bike safe???

    After riding to uni everyday and parking all over the shop, I've noticed that pretty much no-one except a few people lock up their bikes!? Honestly I can't believe it!

    I had my first bike stolen outside a mates place (east vic park - carson st) after only having it for 3 weeks . I went in, expecting to take him for a ride, came out and poof gone

    I only had the steering lock on because I was going to be in and out, lesson learnt. Just thankful it was only a bunky CBR250R and not a 600RR!

    Anyway! long story short . . . my question is, "Do you lock your bike up?" and if you do, do you go out of way to do it properly, eg: put a disc lock on the front and a snake chain on the back? AND do you do it regularly, not just when you can be bothered taking the back seat off to get the disc locks out!

    Personally EVERYWHERE i go now the absolute minimum I have on is a XENA alarm disc lock. Mostly I put my snake chain on aswell. I know it doesn't stop two skateboards going under the wheels, but it's marginally comforting knowing that if they touch my pride and joy then some loud alarm will send them running. Fuc$en scum

    I'm going to cop so much shit If someone see's my bike with nothing on it

    But i want serious answers as I think it's very important.

    Thanks!
    229
    ALWAYS: but bare minimum (steering lock)
    33.62%
    77
    ALWAYS: 1 disc lock is enough
    16.16%
    37
    ALWAYS: LOCKDOWN! Disc lock(s), big mutha fu$ker chain
    6.99%
    16
    Sometimes: but bare minimum (steering lock)
    10.92%
    25
    Sometimes: 1 disc lock is enough
    9.61%
    22
    Sometimes: LOCKDOWN! Disc lock(s), big mutha fu$ker chain
    3.49%
    8
    My bike is a piece of shit, no-one would steal it
    7.42%
    17
    Never
    11.79%
    27
    Degreaser?

  • #2
    I find insurance is much easier than carrying around chains and locks and keys

    Comment


    • #3
      i disc lock my bike. dont chain it though.
      Need your suspension tuned? See Marty MOOSE! | Need something out of the ordinary? See Gav (GD Engineering)!

      Comment


      • #4
        results hidden?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Sean'o View Post
          I find insurance is much easier than carrying around chains and locks and keys
          This.


          a disc lock will do basically nothing to stop a determined thief.

          [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D96QM-lzLM8]YouTube - Honda CBR600RR 2007 STOLEN![/ame]

          Basically, I try to keep my bike in sight, or in a highly visible area when out and about - and locked up in the garage at home. Other than that, this is what insurance is for.
          “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by T.G View Post
            results hidden?
            My bad, first pole How do I change it? I want people to vote before seeing the results.
            Degreaser?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Bulla View Post
              After riding to uni everyday and parking all over the shop, I've noticed that pretty much no-one except a few people lock up their bikes!? Honestly I can't believe it!

              I had my first bike stolen outside a mates place (east vic park - carson st) after only having it for 3 weeks . I went in, expecting to take him for a ride, came out and poof gone

              I only had the steering lock on because I was going to be in and out, lesson learnt. Just thankful it was only a bunky CBR250R and not a 600RR!

              Anyway! long story short . . . my question is, "Do you lock your bike up?" and if you do, do you go out of way to do it properly, eg: put a disc lock on the front and a snake chain on the back? AND do you do it regularly, not just when you can be bothered taking the back seat off to get the disc locks out!

              Personally EVERYWHERE i go now the absolute minimum I have on is a XENA alarm disc lock. Mostly I put my snake chain on aswell. I know it doesn't stop two skateboards going under the wheels, but it's marginally comforting knowing that if they touch my pride and joy then some loud alarm will send them running. Fuc scum

              I'm going to cop so much shit If someone see's my bike with nothing on it

              But i want serious answers as I think it's very important.

              Thanks!
              Kryptonite chain looped around a kryptonite floor mounted (dynabolts) base. Disk lock with an alarm, behind locked gates and in a garage. Usual factory ECU/Immobiliser.. Not to mention it's a duke, so the battery is probably naturally flat too.

              Steal that one motherf*ckers.

              Chain around front wheel though, coz rear wheels on dukes aren't all that difficult to remove.
              Last edited by kryten2001; 03-08-2009, 03:06 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Sean'o View Post
                I find insurance is much easier than carrying around chains and locks and keys
                Yep esp when your bike is insured for few grand then its worth

                Comment


                • #9
                  I had a three week old R6 stolen from Carousel about 4 years ago. It was parked right across from the entrance to the woolworth section, right in front of the main doors.

                  Two years later it was on the front page of the newspaper pulling mono's and the like - remember that guy with the tats? He was with him.

                  Would be ironic if he was a part of PSB. I hope the cops locked the c()nt up for a couple of years where he was someones little arse bitch. Cost me 10 grand as it wasn't insured - the insurance company wanted $3500 to insure it!

                  So yeh I use my disc brake lock now - plus the bike has an imobiliser that is key locked. Also insurance is a must!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    ^^ yeah, those insurance companies are cunts. for spending 3.5k with them, they would have ended up giving you a new bike....
                    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by thro View Post
                      ^^ yeah, those insurance companies are cunts. for spending 3.5k with them, they would have ended up giving you a new bike....
                      Yeh but after insuring with them for 3 years I could've bought another bike. And there is no garauntee that they would pay up anyway.

                      Dont make this about the consumer - make it about the fucks who steal bikes.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        i voted my bikes a piece of shit

                        But when at uni or out i put a big steel cable chain through the rear wheel and if theres something near i chain it to that.

                        But seriously anyone whos seen my bike will tell you it looks like shit

                        But shes goes well
                        Wes

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Harro View Post
                          Yeh but after insuring with them for 3 years I could've bought another bike. And there is no garauntee that they would pay up anyway.

                          Dont make this about the consumer - make it about the fucks who steal bikes.
                          3rd party fire and theft.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I use streering lock & disc lock along with my alarm.

                            EDIT: Alarm is installed on/in the bike with shock and tilt senors. Not the disc lock alarm things.

                            Poll needs an alarm option
                            Last edited by Big_Dave; 03-08-2009, 03:28 PM.
                            When I get sad, I stop being sad, and be AWESOME instead. True story.

                            Originally posted by lobes89
                            Yea I like the bike but it's hard to get my foot under the brake lever

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Satan1 View Post
                              3rd party fire and theft.
                              That wasn't an option when I enquired about it - whether or not it was, the advise they gave me was comprehensive or nothing. I couldn't afford $3500 so I ran the gauntlet. Actually instead of 4 years ago it was more lke 6 - time flies eh?

                              Learnt my lesson though, I dont go without insurance now. Thanks for the advice but the simple fact is, if fuckers didnt steal bikes then I wouldn't need insurance, premiums would be less, everyone would be happier.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X