This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendation: Bike Tyre City & Bike Doctor North Perth

I'd like to recommend these guys. I took just my front wheel down from my GPX 250 with the old dead tyre (sidewall split) to have a new front tyre fitted, and he put a nice new Dunlop Arrowmax GT301F on for $115.00 with balance, he also did it for me under pretty short notice this afternoon. I should have inquired about a rear tyre, but I'll do that next time. I have a Bridgestone Battlax BT45R on the rear that looks to have plenty of life left left in it.

Not hard to take off/install the front wheel, just mind the brake pads stay put. (oh and jack the bike up first under the engine just a bit, as the loss of front tyre and a full fuel tank can cause it to move forwards, possibly off the centrestand).

64 Scarborough Beach Rd
    North Perth WA 6006
    (08) 9443 2122
    Last edited by shades; 03-08-2009, 09:04 PM.

You back on the road yet Shades???

Comment

Originally posted by Stoneville View Post
      You back on the road yet Shades???
      Kind of.

New(?) 1999 GPX is ready, needs to go over the pits and pass and be re-regoed. I might get a pro to check it out first though, rather than waste a trip, if there is anything subtle wrong that they don't like.

Thanks for thinking of me Stoney. I miss our leisurely rides in the country-side.

Comment

I've heard nothing but bad things about bike doctor, i may give bike tyre city a try next time however as tyres for bikes is a bit of a trek.

a rear arrowmax will cost you $170-$180, and get rid of the battlax asap, fucking terrible tyres for a gpx. i also used to have a battlax rear and arrowmax front and fuck...

arrowmax's are fine for a gpx, they're a bit shit in the wet but i manage to scrape pegs quite easily with them.

Comment

Screw that, I took my front wheel down there with a brand new tyre in hand and they charged me $56 just to fit it!!!

Comment

Yeah I used to go there, but prices got pretty high (without a corresponding level of service).

Comment

Originally posted by El Skitzo View Post
              Screw that, I took my front wheel down there with a brand new tyre in hand and they charged me $56 just to fit it!!!
              What do you expect? Mother Theresa fell over years ago...charity has ended.
              You don't buy a tyre from them but want it fitted for...how much? And while you wait???? "Sure sir.....have a seat. Coffee?"
              I haven't been there, but if they are not doing so well, by the public, they won't survive. I like to support the smaller, non-aligned bike shops.
              Justine.... Always and Forever

Comment

I got the "that'll be $440 thanks"
                "But you quoted $400?"
                "Yeah, the distributor put their prices up between when you called and when the tyres came in"
                "Well you could have told me that BEFORE you fitted the tyres"

I know a few people who have gotten that now. He underquotes the opposition to get you there then come bill paying time he hits you with an excuse and a sob story about greedy distributors.
                Other than that he's a nice enough bloke though.

Comment

i don't support the Bike Doctor for the same reasons. The price always jumped up between the phone call and the fitting, even if it was only 2 hours between.
                  Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

A few facts for the fence sitters.

Dave who runs Bike Doctor / Bike Tyre City has been in business for over 20 years.
                    The majority of his customers are repeat business.
                    I bough a pair of dirt tyres there on Sat and was very happy with the deal. I have bought tyres for my road bikes, motards and trailies there and havent had a problem ever with over charging or poor workmanship.
                    I do not work for him and I am not his lover

Comment

they seem to be to only guys to get in a tire i liked, so i have put up there details here before, but i must concede that they've stung me as described above once before.

Comment

Originally posted by blzbub View Post
                        A few facts for the fence sitters.

Dave who runs Bike Doctor / Bike Tyre City has been in business for over 20 years.
                        The majority of his customers are repeat business.
                        I bough a pair of dirt tyres there on Sat and was very happy with the deal. I have bought tyres for my road bikes, motards and trailies there and havent had a problem ever with over charging or poor workmanship.
                        I do not work for him and I am not his lover
                        I might have added somewhere before that Dave has owned THAT business for 20 years - not just got into this one

I have had a cpl of dealings with them over the years, never had an issue.

Dubs

Comment

Originally posted by El Skitzo View Post
                          Originally posted by Hewzie View Post
                          What do you expect? Mother Theresa fell over years ago...charity has ended.
                          You don't buy a tyre from them but want it fitted for...how much? And while you wait???? "Sure sir.....have a seat. Coffee?"
                          I haven't been there, but if they are not doing so well, by the public, they won't survive. I like to support the smaller, non-aligned bike shops.
                          Fair point in principle Hewzie, but they'd be better off just not taking the job if they don't want to do it. Every other dealership charges between $15 and $20 for this service.

Comment

It s a business choice, If they can charge that amount and stay in business then why not?

I would.
                            I sell items to the Perth motorcycling public but I understand that you need to be competetive to gain initial business and referrals - then it's up to the public to weigh up.

Dubs

Comment

The guys i have talked to at the bike doctor seem nice enough and profesional enough to do a good job. But when it came time to buy a set of staintunes and getting them fitted - the first price was $1500 for supply and install + dyno - then two weeks later the next price was well over $2200!!! wtf. Got them supp and fitted for $1150 elsewhere.... dunno why?

Comment

Working...
                              X