Nail/Screw in back tyre?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nail/Screw in back tyre?

I just found a nail in the centre of my back tyre (still inflated) called the local bike shop and said its illegal to patch holes on bike tyres?, just wondering if anyone could make any suggestions besides buying a new tyre?

thanks in advance.

They should be able to plug the tyre. Especially if the nail is right in the center. Who did you call?
    (226): Forecast for tonight is alcohol, low standards and poor decisions.

Comment

Rilusi, yeah its in the centre of the tyre

Comment

could buy the DIY kits but im not too sure what it is like riding with one of them in.
        Hot air balloons, the gentleman's escape vehicle.

Comment

take it to Dale Brittons and get a proper job done... you are asking to get a mushroom plug done.

cant plug it, what a feed of shit. but thats *that certain shop* for you

Comment

Your not too far from the Causeway bike shops. Give one of them a call I'm sure they'll be able to plug the tyre. They sell tyre plugging kits for emergencies so I don't know where they are getting the idea that it is illegal from.

edit: Jokers right, Dale Brittons is on the Causeway strip.

Comment

yes as long as its in the centre, and the right spot it can be plugged
              had several done before with no difference to tyre performance

edit: and i used tyres for bikes

Comment

just called dale brittons, said they dont plug them because of safety reason but told me to call tyres for bikes....
                what a mission, i would do it my self but dont have a stand.

Comment

Originally posted by freestyle View Post
                  called the local bike shop and said its illegal to patch holes on bike tyres?
                  haha fucking what!?

Tyres For Bikes will sort you out with a mushroom plug too, take it easy but just ride down there and they'll sort it out for ya.
                  "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

I have used Highway yamaha to do one on the missus bike, get a proper one done , the emergency ones are just for emergencies.

DJ
                    There are two questions in life.
                    1:Which way do I go
                    2:Whats the lap record.

Comment

Originally posted by freestyle View Post
                      just called dale brittons, said they dont plug them because of safety reason but told me to call tyres for bikes....
                      what a mission, i would do it my self but dont have a stand.
                      Jesus... must be all the personal liability insurance. Thats pretty shit though. Good luck with it mate. Tyres for bikes might be the next best bet.

Comment

Or just go buy a kit and do it yourself. Stand not required.

Comment

didnt realise all these shops stopped doing plugs?
                          i always thought it was pretty standard (have had it done 3 times from 2 different shops)

Comment

Originally posted by Red Rider View Post
                            I have used Highway yamaha to do one on the missus bike, get a proper one done , the emergency ones are just for emergencies.

DJ
                            not true dude... the emergency ones last a very long time! i had a brand new tyre with a massive hole in it. stuck 4 of those plugs in it and started doing burnouts. the tyre blew after 20 mins of constant 3rd gear rollers and the plugs were still intact the tyre blew in another spot entirely.

so, not just for emergencies

Comment

Yeh, WJS.
                              I know a guy that got a hole in a near new tyre, plugged it with one of those vulcanising plugs, rode around like a mad prick for months (had a ZZR1100) and even went in a burnout comp. Rode home with the belts showing and the plugs held up to all of that.

Personally I've plugged my own tyres and ridden around for ages on them. No worries, so far.

As said elsewhere, T4B will look after you. Right next door to Cheers, too, so you can wander in for a drink. Lemonade, of course.
                              2006 Yamaha R1SP;
                              In an interview with the New Scientist magazine marking his birthday, Stephen Hawking was asked what he thought about most during the day, and replied: "Women. They are a complete mystery."
                              Amen, brother. Amen.
                              My nemesis; Barfridge

Comment

Working...
                              X