Speedos - Digital vs Analogue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedos - Digital vs Analogue

Which do you prefer the look of? And why do bikes seem to be heading toward a trend to needle tacho, digi speedo? Space saving? Fashion? Or am I just plain wrong?

Personally I like two dials, kinda like the speedo's chasing the tacho.

And yeah, I know, ITT, Drag asks the important questions in life. But there have been more frivolous threads, I'm sure of it.
    Digital
    44.44%
    Analogue
    46.67%
    DILLIGAF - Why are you wasting my time?
    8.89%
    Originally posted by Dragunov-21
    If you want me to answer a question, I want you to ask one that doesn't put words in my mouth that were never there.

I like the look of digital but I'm quicker to recognise what speed I'm doing with analogue.

Comment

Analogue ftw. Theres a reason they stopped putting digital ones in cars, don't know why they persist with bikes now
      Motorbikes run on fire and air. Its elemental -Matt Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by pley3r View Post
        Analogue ftw. Theres a reason they stopped putting digital ones in cars, don't know why they persist with bikes now
        Coz i like seeing 299 in numbers.
        Riding for Cameron Elliott #52
        1985 - 2009

Comment

Originally posted by Yagadan View Post
          Coz i like seeing 299 in numbers.
          And then telling the cops it's not your fault something was covering the two.

Comment

Both exist purely for giving the rider information, and the trends you've observed are logical when you think about it;

A digital readout takes up less space, allowing for a smaller, lighter dash.

However as it's harder to read at a glance than an analogue dial, it's effectively useless for a tachometer as a number readout as the numbers are constantly changing rapidly.

The bar-graph tachos (Ducati 1098/1198, ZX-6R 03-06) are hard as hell to read at a glance too as there is little contrast compared to say a red needle on a white face.

So basically to summarise, analogue tachos are preferred because from a performance/racing sense the tacho is (or can be) critical for rider feedback. The speedometer is not critical so is a small digital readout. It's also generally smaller and offset so that the tacho draws the eye more than the speedo.

You'll notice on bikes that are not performance oriented (eg cruisers) these frequently have an analogue speedo and a small digital, or complete lack of tacho, reflecting the different priorities in delivering information to the rider.

Comment

DILLIGAF

Ride to traffic conditions. looking at the speedo won't help.
              “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
                Ask Jess, mate - I think if "traffic conditions" include a cop driving next to you, the speedo may help a great fucking deal!!!
                "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Had analogue on the VTR and now have digital on the Hornet, i find with the hornet im adjusting my speed alot more as if it reads 58 and im in a 60 zone i will try sit on 60, the dial then goes to 62 and i try and slow down. Analogue is easy to read at a glance. But i like seeing the numbers change rapidly on the digital face, having said that the 250 couldnt change rapidly on analogue so i cant compare haha. If two bikes were identical in every way except one with digital and one with analogue, it wouldnt bother me at all
                  I was just raising hell I wasn't doing no harm, the cops could not appreciate my natural charm.

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
                    DILLIGAF

+1 When I look down, its to see where my rev's are and deciding if to shift up a gear.. My speedo is digital with a bit of lag, look down, your doing 70, look up, look down its jumped straight to 92... Admittedly due to a slight application of the wrist to pass a cars blind spot.
                    So tend to not use it most of the time and ride to conditions.

EDIT: Yes, does come in handy when you see unmarked/marked cops about :p
                    :stupid:

Comment

I like the analog just a small glance an I can know the revs easy... but I haven't tried a digital one yet.

Comment

Digital for looks, analog for practicality on the road.
                        Filbert on Moto Guzzis;
                        Originally posted by filbert
                        it's like a ducati with the motor put in sideways for people who are too scared of the power of harley davidsons

Comment

yep the digital one on the duke is useless in a hurry (1098)

found the ones on the zx12/zx9 were really good (they were both electronic) aka my favourite especially when going quick

the digital one from acewell on the banger works pretty good though (both revs an kph are digital readout)
                          Every one has a story.....

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...updates-82338/

Comment

I like digital speed and analogue RPM

(which seems to be 95% of sports bikes these days)

Comment

Originally posted by Pkunk View Post
                              I like digital speed and analogue RPM
                              Same here. Digital tacho just doesnt look right to me.
                              Originally posted by Amac
                              suck me on the hat you mole fucker, steroid affected me cock

Comment

Working...
                              X