Recommendations for bike maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for bike maintenance

Here's a possible oportunity for someone good with bike engines to make some money.......

My bike is due the valve shim clearance check and (probably) replacement of those out-of-spec.

I've researched doing this myself as money is tight. I'm no expert when it comes to bike engines but I have managed to do some non-trivial stuff before (for example, work on the clutch). However, the sensible part of me says this one is just a bit beyond me - especially if the shims need replacing as this involves removal of the cams and hence the oportunity to kill the engine if done wrong.

The next step is to start phoning around garages to see what the cost is. Before I do that, anyone have any recommendations where to try?

Even better, anyone want to make some money by doing it as a cashie?

Location-wise - I'm based in Joondalup (very north) and I work in Ossie Park. Hence, anywhere but south of the river works for me.

FYI, it's a 2001 ZX12R and I would supply it with all the fairing and stuff removed hence saving a few minutes or so (saves quite a bit of time when putting it all back together).

Cheers,
    Stuart.

I can recommend Gavin Carlini (Mobile Motorcycle Medic), he will travel to you, and do an awesome job. As a possible cheaper option, shot a pm through to Sean'o, he's got a mate who's an Ex motorcycle mechanic who is back from a swing in the mines, so may be able to do it for slightly less $$$$$ as another alternative.
    Sponsored by:

Billetta Imports, Motorcycle Panel & Paint, Pirelli, YAMALUBE

Comment

Dunno if you've thought about Derek Ball but he's looked at my ZX14 for me and I understand he's an ex Kawasaki person so he should know the ZX12R inside out. I'm happy with what he did for me. 0438 926 511
      You shake and smack the ketchup bottle, none will come and then a lot'll.

--------------------------------------------

Perth Graphics Centre - Ventureshield authorised installers.

www.pgc.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by stuartg View Post
        Here's a possible oportunity for someone good with bike engines to make some money.......

My bike is due the valve shim clearance check and (probably) replacement of those out-of-spec.

I've researched doing this myself as money is tight. I'm no expert when it comes to bike engines but I have managed to do some non-trivial stuff before (for example, work on the clutch). However, the sensible part of me says this one is just a bit beyond me - especially if the shims need replacing as this involves removal of the cams and hence the oportunity to kill the engine if done wrong.

The next step is to start phoning around garages to see what the cost is. Before I do that, anyone have any recommendations where to try?

Even better, anyone want to make some money by doing it as a cashie?

Location-wise - I'm based in Joondalup (very north) and I work in Ossie Park. Hence, anywhere but south of the river works for me.

FYI, it's a 2001 ZX12R and I would supply it with all the fairing and stuff removed hence saving a few minutes or so (saves quite a bit of time when putting it all back together).

Cheers,
        Stuart.
        Might be worth ringing Derick first but what you could do is strip it down take all the measurements and see how many actually need shims (its not unheard of that none need shims). Get the moblie mech around to do the ones that need doing I'd get them to close the rocker cover as well just so there's no dispute over what you have done and what they have done, put the rest of it together yourself.
        Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice - I really like the idea of someone coming to me, then I can do all the crappy time-consuming stuff that adds to the bill (remove fairings, radiator etc etc).

Comment

Working...
          X