Flared vs Naked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flared vs Naked?

Hey guys I was wonder if this is just a myth of if there is much of a difference between flared or naked bikes in wind resistance while riding and getting rained on? Does it really make much of a difference?

Flared bikes are brighter.
    Flared bikes are smoking hot.
    Bike flares are not necessary.
    Boat flares are.

Posted via Mobile Device
    sigpic

Comment

from my experience there is a reasonable difference while you are moving...when stopped it dont matter squat....with most sports bikes you have to tuck right down to get full effect as screens are only small and are styled on race bikes....sports tourers with screens make a huge difference but these affect handling and speed...but fjsteve does pretty well with his fancy self adjusting screen

xs...bit nasty spelling nazi today

xs is referring to yuor pronuciation ... it should be faired as in fairings
      A site all parents should check regulary
      http://www.mako.org.au/temp_a.html

(+)

Comment

disco stew loves the flares
        I dont think its a myth just like ligers the magical kind
        Originally posted by Lefty
        Wouldn't be like me to upset the herd.

Comment

[QUOTE=Taz;1535302]from my experience there is a reasonable difference while you are moving...when stopped it dont matter squat....with most sports bikes you have to tuck right down to get full effect as screens are only small and are styled on race bikes....sports tourers with screens make a huge difference but these affect handling and speed...but fjsteve does pretty well with his fancy self adjusting screen

Cheers, so not really that much.

Comment

Never found the wind/rain to be a problem on the ER6n (while travelling below 140ish anyway )

Comment

Originally posted by Calibur View Post
              Hey guys I was wonder if this is just a myth of if there is much of a difference between flared or naked bikes in wind resistance while riding and getting rained on? Does it really make much of a difference?
              There is a reason why race bikes have fairings, as others have said for you on the road its depends on where you ride and how fast plus what type of bike you are on.
              Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Originally posted by XSorXpire View Post
                Flared bikes are brighter.
                Flared bikes are smoking hot.
                Bike flares are not necessary.
                Boat flares are.
                FEADCinc, PSB?

Comment

my old fighter had wide bars and no front fairing..... coming over the hill at Barbagello at about 170+ on the main straight was like getting kicked in the chest with the wind blast, but she was still good for 220+ before it got really dodgy and skittish..... the biggest problem is the wind catching your chest like a big sail, and that unsettles the bike something cruel..... then again, tucking down on the tank was fine, the wind blast wasn't really that bad down there.....

put simply, huge difference in makeds and fairings in wind resistance, not too much difference in getting wet when it rains..... easy enough?

Comment

Originally posted by Calibur View Post
                    I have a naked bike, and over about 100kph you do feel tired alot quicker. Not just cos of the wind but naked bikes tend to have a much more upright seating pos.

I only really notice a diff on long haul rides. But for the city and the weekend I wouldnt worry.

Comment

Up until about 150kms an hour there isn't a major difference between a faired or a naked... It's when it starts getting over that speed that you really start to feel the force of the wind, so you notice it hitting you a hell of a lot more. Pretty much as Bulbous said, a lot of naked bikes can and will get to 220/over, but getting there isn't particularly comfortable.

Even at 80+ on longer rides the wind will fatigue you more/faster on a naked bike... A, R class faired bike will send wind around your legs and ideally over the rest of your body. I can't say the seating position of either causes me discomfort on longer rides... Sounds more like an age thing. You'll find a lot of sports tourers have relatively neutral seating positions, but because of the protection from the fairings/comfortable seats you can sit on them all day.

Comment

i don't like to talk about my flair

seriously:

nakeds are fine. fairing on the sports bikes i've ridden really does jack shit unless you tuck behind it in race position, and you only really ever bother to do that at well beyond the legal limit or when crouching forward to keep the nose down.

as far as weather protection goes, if you don't want to get wet, get proper gear - otherwise you will get wet and miserable regardless of what you're riding.
                        “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Cheers for the info Fellas

Comment

Only Naked i've ridden was my dirt bikes, so that doesnt stand for much. (most chicks were naked from memory though!)

Serious though the first thing i noticed when i bought my R1, the ride home on the fwy was a lot less turbulant than the 250cc (faired as well), im pretty sure design of the fairings would have something to do with it, let alone riding a naked style.

Just try poping up your head at 270km/h and you'll see, kinda wants to rip your head off.

Comment

Originally posted by Bendito View Post
                              Never found the wind/rain to be a problem on the ER6n (while travelling below 140ish anyway )
                              When I rode your bike I couldn't stand it TBH. I was wanting my nice fairings and screen back fairly quickly. You would've been used to it though.
                              If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

Working...
                              X