Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Onboard video to combat a reckless charge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onboard video to combat a reckless charge?

Had my bike confiscated last month, got told I was doing 123 in a 70 zone. I was pretty surprised to hear that when they pulled me, but I hadn't actually checked my speed over the distance I was speeding. I simply pulled out of a shopping centre and accelerated up to the cars ahead of me. My little 250 only just made it out of 3rd gear, and I wasn't completely wringing its neck. Not that arguing with the cops about what they want to book you for is really worth the effort.

However, I happened to be running an onboard video camera at the time. Didn't disclose this, as I wasn't sure what the ramifications might be. After reviewing the footage, I'm now even surer that I didn't get to 120 km/h. And when I got my summons, the "Statement of material facts" says that the police assessed my speed by looking at their own speedometer. This in itself seems a tough call; they must have rapidly accelerated to catch me, and then pace me, to determine my speed in such a manner. So I'm going to plead Not Guilty and see what happens. I may have been speeding but I'm sure I wasn't doing 45 over, and I shouldn't have lost my bike for a week (and pay $396 to get it back again).

What I'm wondering is whether it's OK, or useful, to use my video in support of my defence. It doesn't show my speedo. But it does show the white lines passing, and I guess it's theoretically possible to determine velocities if I could find the distance between the lines. The video also contains the conversation with the police after they pulled me over. I don't know if there are any laws associated with videoing your ride. Surely not?

The vid is accessible from here, if anyone's interested.

Lawyer up, show him the tape, and get some professional advice.

I hope you stick it right up them, sounds like you'll have a good chance of leaving them with egg on their lying faces.
    For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
    For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Good luck. All that video really shows is that you were going faster than the other vehicles on the road. Not gonna work to your advantage. No date/timestamp on it either so I doubt they would allow it.

Comment

Originally posted by Flamedance View Post
        Good luck. All that video really shows is that you were going faster than the other vehicles on the road. Not gonna work to your advantage. No date/timestamp on it either so I doubt they would allow it.
        If it's digital (more than likely in this day and age) then there is a good chance there is.
        Originally posted by Ferris
        I love how PSB has turned into "Dear Martha"

Figure shit out yourselves, retards.

Comment

Totally agree with barfridge think i'll change my handle to loungefridge

Comment

vid might not work but they have no evidence to support there claim

Comment

Originally posted by DrewVFR View Post
              vid might not work but they have no evidence to support there claim
              The testimony of two sworn officers?
              Originally posted by Melkor
              The Saint is all over the answer like a Saint on a cupcake.

Comment

they dont' have to ... he has to prove them wrong.

Comment

No date/timestamp on it either so I doubt they would allow it.
                  But if its also got the convo he had between himself and the police, that would be a relative proof of the time and place?

Comment

Yeh, that's what I thought.
                    And I have to prove them wrong? I thought I just had to cast reasonable doubt on their charge.

Comment

Looks like you hit maybe 90 ish max.. You'd need to get that properly ratified. As mr fridge said, find a friendly lawyer and see what your options are.
                      "In all the human societies we have ever reviewed, in every age and in every state, there has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots." -The Culture

Comment

I think Viper was being facetious maxfacta.
                        Originally posted by Melkor
                        The Saint is all over the answer like a Saint on a cupcake.

Comment

All that video really shows is that you were going faster than the other vehicles on the road. Not gonna work to your advantage.
                          What I'm thinking is that it can be used to calculate velocity, as distance and time measurements could be extracted from it.

Comment

Originally posted by maxfacta View Post
                            Yeh, that's what I thought.
                            And I have to prove them wrong? I thought I just had to cast reasonable doubt on their charge.
                            nope.

Still best to speak to a lawyer about it though, rather than internet trolls.

Comment

Does the video have sound at all? might help to show what gear you were in...

Comment

Working...
                              X