New To Riding...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New To Riding...

hey guys, i've just got my motorbike license and i've been spending nights trawling the internet for useful reviews and threads for advice on bikes when i came across this place! what a great find! really excited to connect with knowledgeable people in my city! anyway i want to ask for advice in purchasing my new bike. looking at some of the classifieds on here there are some good deals available but what bike do i go for?! hyosung, kawasaki, honda? what are the plus minus of these brands? i'm 6'1 85kg if it helps. i want to know which will give me more bang for my buck while i learn and gain experience, given ill probably sell the bike in a year or two. long post i know but any advice or info would be really great. thanks a lot!

I'm 6'1. The Hyo actually feels oversized compared to what I learned on. I'm looking at the Honda VTR and CBR RR, both actually feel really comfortable despite their "small" size.

Unfortunately, dealers won't let me test ride until monday arvo...

Comment

Welcome to PSB.

There is a wealth of information on here but you must use the search function.

Read the stickies in this forum: Welcome - Perth Street Bikes

Also read this thread: http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...e-n00bs-70093/

Enjoy
      Originally posted by Melkor
      The Saint is all over the answer like a Saint on a cupcake.

Comment

thanks for the help, ill be sure to use the search next time. really comprehensive work aswell, very impressive. thanks a lot

Comment

what kind of bikes do you like?
          sportsbikes?
          cruisers?
          naked bikes?
          do you think you will have your R-E license for a while or do you think you will upgrade to an R class and bigger bike as soon as you can?

these sort of questions will help narrow down your choices.
          Need a website designer? PM me for a quote.
          Here are some sites I've done recently - Velocity Race Team | Business Insurance | West Perth Insurance Broker | Labour Hire | Final Trim Operators

Comment

i really like sports bikes. ill probably have my R-E for a while, maybe 2 years. but having read some of the posts that may be abandoned once i experience a bigger bike or have more skill and experience. i like those cbr's that youve posted but im a little confused on the build date. reading some stuff about grey imports and the danger of re-stickering etc. as far as i can tell they are essentially bikes from the 80's made to look new. surely that makes them more unreliable and more expensive to repair then a newer more available bike? how do the honda's go though compared to a hyosung or ninja?

Comment

Personally i would'nt stress to much on your 250, cause if your anything like myself, by 9 months you will be wanting to upgrade anyway!

The Hyo's (flame away) i think are not such a bad choice, as the step up from the size and weight of the Hyo to the 1000cc is naf all, in comparison to some of the smaller 250's. Dont forget LAMS is coming in so i have heard, that is also another avenue to explore.

But hey go sit/ride and you will soon work it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Logan View Post
                i really like sports bikes. ill probably have my R-E for a while, maybe 2 years. but having read some of the posts that may be abandoned once i experience a bigger bike or have more skill and experience. i like those cbr's that youve posted but im a little confused on the build date. reading some stuff about grey imports and the danger of re-stickering etc. as far as i can tell they are essentially bikes from the 80's made to look new. surely that makes them more unreliable and more expensive to repair then a newer more available bike? how do the honda's go though compared to a hyosung or ninja?
                Some history on the CBR250RR that might put you more at ease. The most powerful CBR250RR's are the ones built between 1990-1993. The later models were restricted to 30kw.

These bikes were only ever sold new in Japan, and later the CBR250RR was sold new in Australia. They however can be found in almost any country of the world, and in a number is the most powerful 4-stroke bike a learner is allowed to ride, and hence their popularity. The CBR250RR has six gears, and revs just under 9,000 rpm at 100 km/h. Despite the high revs, the bike requires little maintenance, and should easily last 100,000 km with regular oil changes (over 1/2 a billion revolutions). The engine is somewhat unusual in that it uses gear driven cams, further reducing maintenance requirements.

The models most commonly grey-imported into Australia were the MC22 and MC19 models. The earlier MC14 and MC17 are quite rare. During the mid 90's there was a collapse in the Japanese 250cc bike market due to a sudden change in licensing regulations allowing riders on the previous 250cc license class to ride bigger bikes. The excess new bikes (MC22 CBR250RR (R) and (R-II) models) were shipped to Australia by Honda MPE where they were sold as part of the company's official lineup. [1] This has proven quite useful to owners of grey-market imported CBR250RR's seeking spare parts.
                Here are some sites I've done recently - Velocity Race Team | Business Insurance | West Perth Insurance Broker | Labour Hire | Final Trim Operators

Comment

so to clarify that previous post. The early 90's models are imported and the mid to late 90's were sold by Honda, but the earlier ones have more power.

Comment

Originally posted by Rizzo View Post
                    Personally i would'nt stress to much on your 250, cause if your anything like myself, by 9 months you will be wanting to upgrade anyway!

The Hyo's (flame away) i think are not such a bad choice, as the step up from the size and weight of the Hyo to the 1000cc is naf all, in comparison to some of the smaller 250's. Dont forget LAMS is coming in so i have heard, that is also another avenue to explore.

But hey go sit/ride and you will soon work it out.
                    i think i would agree with you but im also a student at uni atm the as much as im sure ill want to upgrade in a year or so im not sure my budget would allow it. how big is the difference in size between the cbr and the hyosung. im going to go try a few out but i couldnt see any cbr's when i was at the dealer for obvious reasons. i dont know what LAMS is but ill check it out online to see what you mean. cheers for your help

Comment

Drifter, thanks a lot for the info on the CBR's. they are a great looking bike and im definately leaning toward one of them. so to clarify i should look for one built between 1990 and 93? i found a website sumoto.com but i also read some really bad reviews of their service etc. the bikes stickered or advertised as 2008 would be built in what year? what bike would you say is more powerful, the hyosung or the cbr?

Comment

Stay as far away from sumoto as you can,. They are the ones that get grey imports (15 year old bikes), get a tyga fairing kit and spray a nice paintjob and then wind back the odo's.

Complience just means it has met Australian standards in a said year, nothing to do with the bikes age.

Basically they make old bikes look pretty and sell them for a lot of money to noobs.
                        --------

A hyo is a 2 cylinder aircooled vtwin which makes around 28hp or so.

A cbr250 is a 4 cylinder liquid-cooled which makes around 45hp (depending on model).
                        also lighter.

The cbr shits on hyos.

Comment

Drifter, thanks a lot for the info on the CBR's. they are a great looking bike and im definately leaning toward one of them. so to clarify i should look for one built between 1990 and 93? i found a website sumoto.com but i also read some really bad reviews of their service etc. the bikes stickered or advertised as 2008 would be built in what year? what bike would you say is more powerful, the hyosung or the cbr?
                          Heaps of bikes in the For Sale section (including my CBR and 15 million others )
                          Rami

Check out my Blog!

Comment

I always use a website called product review.com whenever I am interested in the real world reliability and quality of a bike. All the reviews are done by people who actually own them. This is the link to the first page of the Hyosung reviews:
                            Hyosung GT250R Motorcycle Reviews Australia www.hyosungmotors.com.au
                            After reading some of those reviews I would watch out with the Hyo if I was you, read through a couple of pages and see what you think. You can also find reviews on the same site for different bikes by typing "*name of bike* product review" into google, it is usually the first respsonse.

I hope I'm not breaching and advertising rule by posting that link.
                            Originally Posted by Maxo
                            do people around you constantly wear their palm on their face?
                            to Butters

Comment

few of the guys have already said it, but yeah sumoto are to be avoided as they are selling bikes based on their compliance date, not build date. so the bikes are still built in 1990 then imported whenever, but complianced in 08/09 so they are trying to sell them as 2008/9 bikes. I don't think its technically illegal, but it is definitely misleading.

the CBR's to get are the ones built between 90-93, the ones built after that are not as quick. the difference between the 90-93 is just paint schemes.

CBR's make more power than hyosungs and in my opinion honda's build quality is better, but like i said, thats just my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X