Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Left choke on 75% for 1hr ride... Damaging?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left choke on 75% for 1hr ride... Damaging?

Went for a ride out to campbelltown (~60km) in torrential rain and high-winds (yay =/ ) and on the way home (after a meeting) I forgot to turn my choke off...

Got to the southern outlet and wondered why my bike was idling at 5k (thought my throttle cable had stuck or something) before stalling it like a bitch and finally noticing.

And yes, I do realise that's a bit retarded.

I've heard that riding with the choke on can intefere with cylinder lubrication or someshit - can anyone comment?

Basically I'm wondering if I've done a bad bad thing, if so, what I can do now, or whether there's nothing to worry about.

Cheers in advance.
    Originally posted by Dragunov-21
    If you want me to answer a question, I want you to ask one that doesn't put words in my mouth that were never there.

Shouldn't have done too much to worry about, maybe a little carbon build up, fouled plug at worst.

Don't make it a habit though
    Riding for Cameron Elliott #52
    1985 - 2009

Comment

Cheers, s'what I figured, just had to check.
      If you want me to answer a question, I want you to ask one that doesn't put words in my mouth that were never there.

Comment

Have to agree; most I could think of given a choke just pours more fuel into the mix is fouled a plug and got some crap economy on the kms/ltrs ratio.

Wouldn't think this has had huge mechanical issues but happy to be corrected....

Comment

Always better to be too rich than too lean. I'd pull the plugs and have a little looksee but if it's running/starting alright, it's fine.
          EXPERIENCE: noun: Knowledge or skill derived from actual participation or direct contact rather than mere study, interest, or internet.

Comment

Maybe rev it a fair bit in the next ride to clean it up in case there is some excess carbon?

That is what I did when I left it on for 20 mins by accident (only 40% though). I haven't had any problems anyway.

Edit: Reading more into it, (BTW this is from wikianswers so I dunno if it is compelely right, but makes sense. I wouldn't be too worried about the incident for now but don't make it a habit .

Using the choke on any motorcycle changes the fuel and air mixture. No choke means that you have the "correct" ratio of fuel to air, which will give you the highest fuel efficiency and the least amount of wear and tear on the engine, as well as correct lubrication from the engine oil. Using a full choke means more fuel and less air are getting to the engine, which causes an engine to wear faster. Oil runs thinner and will not lubricate as well. As a result, the motorcycle is less fuel efficient and runs hotter. Leaving a full choke on for three minutes or less is fine to get the engine warm, but once the engine is warm, there should be no need for the choke. If your carburetor is dirty, and you are not usng the choke, the engine may die. But, this is not a good excuse to keep the choke on. You are hurting your engine, and not helping to solve any carburetor problems. In this case, you should have the carburetor cleaned, jetted, and synced. This should solve your "choke" problem. Also, fuel injection motorcycles do not have a choke.
            Last edited by Xuaxace; 16-08-2009, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Yeah, looks like I was being too easily worried. Was shitting myself when it was stuck at 5k at the lights though. Waved a girl in her car past cuz I thought it was about to break down... God I felt like a tool when I realised - she was fucking cute too =/

Comment

I accidently left VTR's choke on about 25% when I rode to Geraldton, and only picked it up at Cataby, which is about 175km from home. Bike seemed okay with it.

Comment

As long as it wasn't the Right choke! The left one doesn't matter too much.....
                  User contains traces of nuts.

Comment

Should have hit the kill switch and waved the cute girl sown do help
                    Warning: The above post was probably written while under the influence.

Comment

Originally posted by Pato View Post
                      As long as it wasn't the Right choke! The left one doesn't matter too much.....
                      Oh shit, don't say that! I've been using the right one all the time. Can it perish the rubber on the piston rings?

Originally posted by Sp0t View Post
                      Should have hit the kill switch and waved the cute girl sown do help
                      Shoulda woulda coulda, but it was bucketting down and I wanted to get out of the middle of a highway intersection (also, I'm a pussy like that )

Comment

Next time you do something like this, take your helmets off, get your sister to sit on your knee and pluck a few banjo strings, you will feel much better.

Comment

Working...
                        X