super motos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• super motos

soo. . . they fascinate me as much as if not more than go fast bikes . . . my problem is, i only found out about these babies after i bought my bike.
    so im just gonna drool all over them till i can one day 'get me wuna those'.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxYiWOJ59Vg&feature=fvsr]YouTube - How to drift a motorcycle - Bernd Hiemer[/ame]

so this says they drift under breaks? surely they drift under power too?/more often? or initiate the the drift with breaks then get on the gas? ala car drifting

how hard are they to flick around the place? as easy as dirt type of thing? (once you get the hang of it) do the lads the own them pray for rain and head to the nearst freshly sealed subdivision when it comes? basically . . . . if you've won lotto lately and wanna grant a wish. . .right here baby

they'd be the answer to speed cameras, if we could just drift everywhere. . .there'd be no reason to speed. . . as much

They intiate the drift under brakes you do not however set out to drift the bike al la a car whist it can be done if you do it buy standing on the rear brake you are more likely to be spat off over the top in a fairly nasty high side. The idea with super moto/motard (motard been the correct French name) like most other forms of motor sport is to be first past the post there are no judging etc.
    The "drifting" as such is a result of the layout and type of bike used ie very ight with long travel suspesnion braking hard into a corner the riders wieght and most of the wieght of the bike is transfered to the front wheel and inertia takes over the rear perhaps the rear breaks traction, with perhaps a little assistance of trailing rear brake and a little compression braking. Its not a full lock the rear and slide its a slow the rear wheel to slightly slower than the front with very little wieght on it gently breaks traction.

It allows a very tight line into tight corners and you can fire in and out quickly with little setup. it is not very fast through a sweeping bend and is best avioded. It is also similar to getting your knee down on a road bike in that getting your knee down is not the aim, going around the corner as qucikly as possible is the aim getting your knee down is the result. On a supermoto getting the rear loose is not the aim, going around the corner as qucikly as possible is the aim getting the rear loose is the result.

So you have to be going pretty quick to do it, if the police don't do you for speed they will do you for testing the vehicles limits breaking traction and will happily distribute pineapples all round. If you are concerned about keeping your license on a road bike/have self control issues do not get a super motard your license will disappear very very quickly on one.
    Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

I have seen that video before, a lot of awesome there...

Good write up there nero.

BTW I read that with Supermoto's, riders brake all the way to the apex, is that right?

Comment

haha yeh i figured as much, they seem like a lot of fun though, just riding dads 250 DR around the joint on 50/50 knobblies is a change from the heavier stickier gixa.

still though the super motard class looks like something that could very quickly become an addiction. to sit along side the addiction i have for the other one.

is there any racing in perth? or just lads going to track days privately?

+1 for the write up

Comment

It still hurts my brain to try and imagine it, but the way I understand it happens, is the rear wheel is spinning slower than the front...

Best explained in the article linked in this post
          Originally posted by taint View Post
          This might help a little

Supermoto Article on backing it in
          from this thread - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...ike-how-48428/

And explained by Rossi, in the video linked from this thread - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...s-track-64819/

Comment

Originally posted by GSXRossi View Post
            haha yeh i figured as much, they seem like a lot of fun though, just riding dads 250 DR around the joint on 50/50 knobblies is a change from the heavier stickier gixa.

still though the super motard class looks like something that could very quickly become an addiction. to sit along side the addiction i have for the other one.

is there any racing in perth? or just lads going to track days privately?

+1 for the write up
            There is this guys

SupermotoWA, they do ''trackdays'' at two go-cart circuits (waneroo and cockburn) also do a championship of a few races AFAIK.

I would probably joing them if i ended up getting a supermoto.

Comment

Website links to track layouts only fuel the want for one of these nice n twistie

Thanks bendito I'll have a geez when I'm not on my tiny lil iPod lol
              Last edited by GSXRossi; 17-08-2009, 02:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X