Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to recognize bents on chassis?

Hi all,

I wanted to buy a motorcycle thats got a minor crash. I think it may have been dropped. I want to learn how to pick up on and bends the chassis. Because i wouldn't want to buy it if it's that damaged.

Any hints would be great

Thanks

if its a hyo it will have a "factory" dent on the frame you wont have to worry about bahhaha (insert more hyo bashing here)

apart from that you should be able to look at a lot of it but hairline cracks you may not even be able to see
    Originally posted by Lefty
    Wouldn't be like me to upset the herd.

Comment

if its been dropped you will be able to see if the engine cases and fairings have been repaired. If its been crashed proper, you just have to sit on it and see if the forks line up with the wheels and that the lines of the bike are straight. things like the seat sits properly and the exhaust fits in its bracket properly, etc.
      Need a website designer? PM me for a quote.
      Here are some sites I've done recently - Velocity Race Team | Business Insurance | West Perth Insurance Broker | Labour Hire | Final Trim Operators

Comment

Easiest way I've been told is to get on a straight flat bit of road, and let go of the bars. If it steers straight, then try some increasingly heavy braking and make sure it travels straight then too.

If it checks out, then the frame/forks are probably not bent.

Obviously not foolproof, but can be a good indicator.
        Originally posted by Dragunov-21
        If you want me to answer a question, I want you to ask one that doesn't put words in my mouth that were never there.

Comment

What bike is it?

Comment

Thanks everyone, you've been very helpful. It's a gt250r by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragunov-21 View Post
              Easiest way I've been told is to get on a straight flat bit of road, and let go of the bars.
              If it steers straight thats good.
              If you find yourself in a ditch, it may be bent.
              Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

Comment

Do a search for "string lining a motorcycle". Generally a bit of a slide won't bend anything a sudden stop with a immovable object will.
                Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

why not have it assessed by a mechanic or someone who knows what they are on about?
                  Originally posted by polonY
                  Don't worry about shitting people off. Unless you ride a ninja 250 or a cbr250rrrrrr

Comment

Originally posted by The Acumen View Post
                    Thanks everyone, you've been very helpful. It's a gt250r by the way.
                    The gt250r came with a bent in the frame. BTW if a frame is actualy bent in an accident the bike becomes a write off and shouldn't be attempted to be fixed.

Comment

run it through a puddle then on a dry patch if the wheel lines don't match it's bent

Comment

Working...
                      X