Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyres for a Blackbird

Hello,

Well I've just had a service done on the bike (14,000 kms) and decided I need a new set of hoops. Anyone got anything to clue me in on? Bad, good, 'stay clear of' advice?

The 'OMG these are awesome for da track yo!' type comment probably won't be of much use

TIA,

D'Art

PM stretcho, he may be able to help you (if I recall correctly he did a lot of k's on his old one...)
    Originally posted by Ferris
    I love how PSB has turned into "Dear Martha"

Figure shit out yourselves, retards.

Comment

Do you have the standard Dunlops on at the moment? They've given me a few scares, but I seem to be getting reasonable mileage out of them.

My personal favourites are the Michelin Pilot Roads (I think now called Road 2's) but they don't last anything like the touring style tyres.
      "Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." - Albert Einstein

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty, to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

D'Art, a mate of mine lives in Ballajura and he just removed the Pilot Road 2s and put on some Bridgestones and reckons he's a lot happier with them. I can't remember which ones but they aren't the top of the range. If you're interested to know, PM me and I'll give him a call for you. Oh yes, he has a Blackbird.
        You shake and smack the ketchup bottle, none will come and then a lot'll.

--------------------------------------------

Perth Graphics Centre - Ventureshield authorised installers.

www.pgc.com.au

Comment

Hey D'Art I have been running mainly Michelin's since getting my BB in March 06. When I got it it had a knackered D208 on the front and a 1/2 worn PR, I replaced the front straight away with a PP and the difference was huge
          The bike handled so much better and turned quicker, I then replaced the rear with another PR and got ~10 000km from it (worn bald in the centre)and ~14 000km (to wear bars) from the PP front.
          I then put on a set of Shinko 005's which were "OK" BUT handled slower and weren't as good in the wet and took longer to warm up in the cold
          Also I only got ~10 000 front and 6500km from the rear before hitting the canvas So the savings of ~$70 a set weren't worth it

Then I had 2 sets of PPf and PR2 rears with the fronts doing ~13 000km and the rears ~10 000km before wearing the sides out rather than the centres due to the dual compound softer sides.

I am currently on another PR2 rear but have a PR2 front and the front is at 11 000km and only looks 1/2 gone

I have been really happy with all the Michelin's, the dry grip is outstanding, the wet very good and the wear quite acceptable
          The PR2 front does steer slightly slower than the PP so I may go back to the PP next time although I have been impressed with it's mileage

BTW most of my riding has been riding to and from home to Wooroloo (~65km each way) which means quite a bit of higher speed highway stuff and quite a few corners on very rough bumpy roads up around Wooroloo/Gidgegannup

I ride them quite hard too not at a cruising pace either

Most of the guys on the OzBB site tend to use either the PP's or PR2's or the PPf/PR2r combo although there are some who like the Shinko's on the smoother roads and a few in Qld quite like the Conti Road Attacks

Almost no one has anything good to say about the std Dunlops/Bridgies although a couple found the new Roadsmart OK
          #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
          Originally posted by Phildo
          Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
          Originally posted by filbert
          i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
          Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Re: Tyres for a Blackbird

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'll get some prices for the PP's etc when I get back.

Sorry about the slow reply.

D'Art

Comment

I run a pilot race front and Pilot road 2ct on the rear. No complaints from me on them, done 10,000km of them so far and plenty left to go

Comment

D'art....PR2s have transformed the couch into a real sweet handler. Sticks like sh*t to a blanket....and great mileage too.

The Slackturd may wear the tyres differently...but generally, you will not be disappointed with them.
                Originally posted by Viper
                I'm probably fucking something up.
                FOREVER RIDING WITH "DAVO" - FarRider #1

http://forum.fjr13.org/index.php
                Administrator

Comment

I just noticed that Michelin recommend a 'Pilot Sport HPX' for Blackbirds. I'll be up for new tyres soon as well, has anyone tried these? Good? Bad?

Ta.
                  "Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." - Albert Einstein

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty, to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Don't know of anyone here in Aus that have and of all the BB forums there are only a couple in the US and a handful in the UK/EU that have and all basically said they were an OK tyre for high speed/long distance type riding but not really suited to tighter twisty type stuff .

They are also an old technology/single compound tyre with a heavier sidewall designed specifically for heavy "Hyperbikes" like the XX/Busa/ZX14 etc and more suited to high speed straight line stuff like Autobahns etc
                    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                    Originally posted by Phildo
                    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                    Originally posted by filbert
                    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by Para045 View Post
                      Don't know of anyone here in Aus that have and of all the BB forums there are only a couple in the US and a handful in the UK/EU that have and all basically said they were an OK tyre for high speed/long distance type riding but not really suited to tighter twisty type stuff .

They are also an old technology/single compound tyre with a heavier sidewall designed specifically for heavy "Hyperbikes" like the XX/Busa/ZX14 etc and more suited to high speed straight line stuff like Autobahns etc
                      Thanks Para. Looks like I'll stick with the trusty Pilots next time around.

Comment

the pilot power 2ct's served me well on the zx12 i had

(actually that well they are also on the 1098)
                        Every one has a story.....

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...updates-82338/

Comment

Generally had stuck with the bridgestone battlax's but i really dont do enough miles on th ebird these days to make a fair comment Para is the man to talk to for sure...dunno when he turns his BB off:-)

Comment

Also guys, with the warmer days ahead, any bird owners keen on a meet up? yes Para I know you will be pending on work...:-)

Comment

got a set of pilot roads on and have had as good a performance as the battlax but better longevity...don't have the figures but just better.

Originally posted by gc33 View Post
                              Also guys, with the warmer days ahead, any bird owners keen on a meet up? yes Para I know you will be pending on work...:-)
                              sounds good! count me in
                              When someone demands blind obedience, you'd be a fool not to peek.
                              Jim Fiebig

Comment

Working...
                              X