X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riding in other countries on R-E license

Hi all,

Did a quick search here and on google, but couldn't find anything on this:

My brother and I are travelling to Germany and other parts of Europe next month and I was wondering what the laws are with regard to riding on an R-E license, or if there is any place we can find specific info on this. We were thinking about hiring motorbikes while there if possible, but I doubt that anyone would hire 250s out and was wondering whether we could ride larger bikes or if we would be limited to 250s.

Any info/recommendations/experience would be great

Bernie says "think before you drive bribe"

Where abouts in Germany are you going to? If you need help translating some pages, PM me because I'd be happy to. I'm actually planning on going over there with some mates next year and doing it so I did some research and found that there are a few places that let you rent smaller bikes. I haven't been able to find any info on Australian licenses but I'll ask in a German motorbike forum and get back to you.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tomv View Post
      Where abouts in Germany are you going to? If you need help translating some pages, PM me because I'd be happy to. I'm actually planning on going over there with some mates next year and doing it so I did some research and found that there are a few places that let you rent smaller bikes. I haven't been able to find any info on Australian licenses but I'll ask in a German motorbike forum and get back to you.
      We have a mate that lives in Aachen, so we will probably be staying there most of the time. He speaks German too, so that should help us out while we are there. Probably also going to Swizerland, Netherlands, Belgium, Italy (for the F1) and maybe a few other countries since everything is so close by.

If I need any help translating I will let you know. Also if you want info on where to visit etc. send me a PM in October sometime and I will let you know where we went, travel, which places are worth going etc.

Comment

Go down to the RAC ask about an international license cost about $20 dodgy looking bit of paper not sure if they split the different motorcycle licenses. I know the Netherlands have three tiered levels but all power to wieght rather than capacity.
        Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Posted via Mobilex Device
          go get the international license stated above however it does not have a box for restricted license, so they mark you off as having a full license and warn you to only ride go your class, thats what happened to me, up to you if you restrict yourself, but as far as your international license is you are qualified
          :stupid:

Comment

Hire the most powerful bike you can.

moX

actually I started writing this as yet another moronic post from me but then I recalled a mate of mine who went to the US and hired a large bike and then wrote it off soon after (very soon).
            something to think about.

Comment

But he could on the other hand happily hire a GS650 or something similar which would be fine.

Just don't do a , who was it in Germany had an Australian moment and rode into the front of a car, hope he's on the mend anyway.
              Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Yeah, I have a fair bit of dirt bike experience and have been for a quite a few rides on the Superduke without any issues so I should be all good if I am careful (no speed runs on the autobahn ). The main thing is I am 6ft 4, so riding a 250 for any reasonable distance is not that appealing.

Comment

Originally posted by Wedge View Post
                  Posted via Mobilex Device
                  go get the international license stated above however it does not have a box for restricted license, so they mark you off as having a full license and warn you to only ride go your class, thats what happened to me, up to you if you restrict yourself, but as far as your international license is you are qualified
                  I think you'll find the international driving permits aren't worth a light without the original license accompanying them... And if you are involved in an accident overseas, the insurance company/police might look a little further than "Oh there's no box for restricted licence on the international permit".

Comment

Originally posted by Ryven View Post
                    I think you'll find the international driving permits aren't worth a light without the original license accompanying them... And if you are involved in an accident overseas, the insurance company/police might look a little further than "Oh there's no box for restricted licence on the international permit".
                    +1

According to my bro (been living in UK for 5 years, campervanning around continental Europe periodically) the international permit (no such thing as international licence) is about as useful as tits on a bull. Basically each country has its own list of other countrys' licences it recognises, and you just use your own if deemed acceptable.

After a period of time you are required to get a licence issued by the country you are living in.

Comment

busa + autobahn. do it.
                      Need your suspension tuned? See Marty MOOSE! | Need something out of the ordinary? See Gav (GD Engineering)!

Comment

Originally posted by dirt_infected View Post
                        +1

According to my bro (been living in UK for 5 years, campervanning around continental Europe periodically) the international permit (no such thing as international licence) is about as useful as tits on a bull. Basically each country has its own list of other countrys' licences it recognises, and you just use your own if deemed acceptable.

After a period of time you are required to get a licence issued by the country you are living in.
                        Really?

I'm travelling around the world starting January and i'm just planning on driving around everywhere with an international permit from RAC...i'm also planning on hiring a bike out somewhere but i have my R class so shouldn't have any issues.
                        Riding for Cameron Elliott #52
                        1985 - 2009

Comment

Working...
                        X