License Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• License Question

I've done a search and couldn't find anything, so forgive me if I failed.

Anyway, yesterday was probably one of the worst days of my life (family stuff) and driving Perth-Busselton-Perth I got hit with a speed camera which I wasn't 2 fussed on as if it was fast enough for demerits, I could have handled it.

Then coming onto the Kwinana freeway (in the cage btw) I didn't see the apparent 60km/h signs up where all the roadworks were (middle of the night, no work happening) so I go from doing 70km (before the left turn onto the FWY) and now im doing 95-100km and the the lights come on behind me and I get owned.

Two questions... is there any point saying "the signs weren't there, vandals pulled them down?" and the other is:

If I want to take the Double or Nothing option, would I lose my license if I accept it before I have the chance to pay off the multinova?

Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by polony
    The internet is serious business.

I can only see that the signs not being there excuse would work if you physically pulled them down just after you were flashed, as its easy to check with main roads to see if they've been replaced etc.

Comment

seems i might be screwed.

- Thanks for the info

Comment

Paying the fines... The points don't generally hit your licence until about a month or two after you pay them.

As for the double or nothing system... Given the points were accrued on the same day, they go towards the same suspension...

What this means? Say you have 10 points up to today... Get done for say 2 on the way to work, and 7 on the way home. Although 12 points is enough to cause a demerit suspension in its own right, because the other 7 occured on the same day 19 points go into the demerit suspension...

If you were to have got the 2 points today, and 7 tomorrow, you'd face suspension for 12 points, and the other 7 would still be against you after you'd dealt with the suspension...

Comment

Does this mean if I just take the hit and don't double, do I have to start 12 months on the R-E again or if I'm say 1 month off, 1 month after I get my license back I can take the test?

Comment

Originally posted by Raijn View Post
            Does this mean if I just take the hit and don't double, do I have to start 12 months on the R-E again or if I'm say 1 month off, 1 month after I get my license back I can take the test?
            I'm not sure why you thought you'd have to start the 12 months of your R-E from scratch... The latter is more accurate given it's an additional class.

I'd be more concerned about the loss of licence for however many months than my Rs, mind... There is no option for an extraordinary licence on demerit points... How's public transport to your work?

Comment

Live with a colleague so thats covered.

Still haven't decided on whether to try the Double thing and see how I go

Comment

it took nearly 8mths for my mates double or nothing deal to come into effect once he elected to take it.

By the way the "didnt see the signs, they were knocked down" is actually a common excuse. I have heard numerous times from diffrent ppl of ppl fighting and winning speeding infringments because signs were knocked down. Think the main thing that tipped the argument in their favour was if the roadside workers had no secured the signs with sandbags etc. they could blow over in the wind.
                So being late at night, no other traffic, signs "possibly" knocked over. There is a chance.
                B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

If I elect to take it to court and fail... what are the average court costs?

Comment

Depends, will you be lawyering up as well?
                    I thought it was about $350-400 for a single appearance at court, but I could be Waaay off with that.
                    Originally posted by Desmogod
                    Nobody was bagging scooters, they were bagging you.

Comment

You did it.
                      Pay the fines, cop your suspension and get on with your life.

Comment

Then coming onto the Kwinana freeway (in the cage btw) I didn't see the apparent 60km/h signs up where all the roadworks were (middle of the night, no work happening) so I go from doing 70km (before the left turn onto the FWY) and now im doing 95-100km and the the lights come on behind me and I get owned.

Thanks in advance.
                        My memory may be a bit shady on this, but I think there is a test case where a taxi driver was found not guilty of an offence of speeding at night 60/40 through roadworks on Gt Eastern Highway. (about 6-8 years ago?)

The judgement was something like that the roadworkers should have removed or laid the signs over if there was no hazard or work going on - they have approval for traffic manangement when they are working. Common sense was to leave the signs there overnight, so the outcome was the driver was not speeding.

Of course, the whole memory could have been a morphine induced dream.
                        The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

Comment

when i got my summons the court fees ended up being $141. that was only a few months ago.
                          Bones heal, chicks dig scars, pain is temporary, but glory lasts forever.

afterall, a bit of pain never hurt anyone!

Comment

Originally posted by AZAZL View Post
                            My memory may be a bit shady on this, but I think there is a test case where a taxi driver was found not guilty of an offence of speeding at night 60/40 through roadworks on Gt Eastern Highway. (about 6-8 years ago?)

The judgement was something like that the roadworkers should have removed or laid the signs over if there was no hazard or work going on - they have approval for traffic manangement when they are working. Common sense was to leave the signs there overnight, so the outcome was the driver was not speeding.

Of course, the whole memory could have been a morphine induced dream.
                            Sounds reasonable. I know I'm sick of having to crawl through the inevitable roadworks between Sawyers Valley and The Lakes on a weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Zerotime View Post
                              Sounds reasonable. I know I'm sick of having to crawl through the inevitable roadworks between Sawyers Valley and The Lakes on a weekend.
                              The road condition of GEH until completion of works may require the temporary speed limit outside working hours.

Main Road's code of practice requires that temporary speed limits only apply whilst the conditions warranting it exists. The traffic management plan for any particular roadworks should specify the 'pre works' speed limit, the "working hours" limit and the "after hours" limit.

The OP may want to pursue that avenue with MRD before investing in a lawyer. (assuming the works are MRD jurisdiction - freeway?, rather than Local Governement or other). If the workers have not complied with the traffic management plan by, say, not removing the temporary speed signs after hours it would be in the OP's favour. However if other hazards existed requiring the temporary limit to be all hours, s/he might be screwed.
                              The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

Comment

Working...
                              X