Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going Pillion on a Sports bike

Next Sunday I'm taking a lady friend up to Jarrahdale on my K6 gizzer 1000
    She has only been on the back of a Triumph 900 Trophy or riding her new scooter.
    What do the PSB pillion girls recommend? I think T-Bones suggests to his back warmers "one arm around the rider & one arm back behind you" Is that right? And can the arm reaching back to the tailpiece reach it when leaning so forward to reach the rider? I think maybe hanging on to my Dririder jacket pockets with two hands might be easier. Don't forget, I still want to have her as a FRIEND at the end of the day

More than a friend - grab onto you. Just a friend - grab the rail.

Comment

Tank for support, one arm (or two) around rider for the accelerating hard bit. Gixxers are comfy pillion perches anyway....
      yes, i am ignorant
      yes, i am a prick
      no, i don't care
      you make me sick

Comment

Everyone I take likes to hold onto me with both arms, but I tell them its really up to them, and I also warn them that both hands on the rail isn't good when accelerating.

Comment

shortSteve has it - one hand or two on the tank means they push on it when you're braking, also means they only have a short, quick movement to your waist when you accelerate.

Taking different pillions on FNRs has taught me that, on a sportsbike at least, that's probably the best way.

REMEMBER: always tap the pillion on the leg or use some other warning to let them know you're gonna pop one up (wheelie). Not letting them know deserves a beating by all and sundry if they fall off.
          2006 Yamaha R1SP;
          In an interview with the New Scientist magazine marking his birthday, Stephen Hawking was asked what he thought about most during the day, and replied: "Women. They are a complete mystery."
          Amen, brother. Amen.
          My nemesis; Barfridge

Comment

Yeah if i take a new pillion for a ride thats never been on a bike i usually give them a minute lecture on what to do.
            - hold onto me
            - if just crusing its fine to hold the seat strap but hold it hard still just incase i need to accelerate hard to get out of situation.
            - if im doing a wheelie, dont panic and let go of me.

Ok that last one was a joke...maybe
            ZippySig.com

Comment

only thing I can add is don't lean in on corners, i.e. just follow the bike movement. But since she's been on a bike i'm sure all will be fine.

Tho if she's a light weight it shouldn't really matter
              When I get sad, I stop being sad, and be AWESOME instead. True story.

Originally posted by lobes89
              Yea I like the bike but it's hard to get my foot under the brake lever

Comment

hold onto me just incase......
                You know what you get for being a hero? Nothing. You get shot at. A little pat on the back, blah blah blah, attaboy. You get divorced. Your wife can't remember your last name. Kids don't wanna talk to you. Get to eat a lot of meals by yourself. Trust me kid, nobody wants to be that guy

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
                  Next Sunday I'm taking a lady friend up to Jarrahdale on my K6 gizzer 1000
                  I had a weekend ride just gone on the exact same year/model with girl on pillion, so I just asked my g/f what she preferred. She said what most people already have, most of the time she had both hands on the tank and occasionally had her arms around me.
                  Ello

Comment

Popping wheelies with an inexpirienced pillion and rider is BS.
                    Inpress her with your constraints in keeping her safe and not scarred out of her wits!

Comment

Originally posted by Hornet View Post
                      shortSteve has it - one hand or two on the tank means they push on it when you're braking, also means they only have a short, quick movement to your waist when you accelerate.

Taking different pillions on FNRs has taught me that, on a sportsbike at least, that's probably the best way.

REMEMBER: always tap the pillion on the leg or use some other warning to let them know you're gonna pop one up (wheelie). Not letting them know deserves a beating by all and sundry if they fall off.
                      This ^^^

Also, tap her on the leg if your going to nail it for whatever reason...

Suzukis are prob the most comfortable pillion bikes out of the sports bikes

Comment

Originally posted by Jamathi View Post
                        Popping wheelies with an inexpirienced pillion and rider is BS.
                        Inpress her with your constraints in keeping her safe and not scarred out of her wits!

^^^ Bingo, and give her a bit of power on the way home, that is if shes ok with it
                        When I get sad, I stop being sad, and be AWESOME instead. True story.

Originally posted by lobes89
                        Yea I like the bike but it's hard to get my foot under the brake lever

Comment

With the whole leaning bit i tell my pillion to look at the back of my helmet when we go into a big sweeping corner if theyve never been on a bike before. stops them wriggling about around the corner and making it awkward.
                          A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Comment

Oh, OK, you guys have surprised me. I've seen ads in magazines for stick on handles on the fuel tank for sports bikes. I first thought wtf. Isn't that dangerous? But now i know the pillion reaches forward, past me, to the fuel tank. Bloody hell, she is going to shit herself when i tell her but i can understand what you guys are saying. The last lady friend on the gizzer insisted on using the seat strap, then realized that was not enough, then hung on to my draggins belt behind my back, but i still had to hold her left leg down as i rolled it on 2nd gear.

Comment

Unfortunately you've mentioned that shes already been on tha back of a bike. Shame. I normally ask them to wrap both legs around me and hold onto the inside of my thighs. If they ask if it'll stop them from coming off you can let them know it won't, it just feels good!
                              User contains traces of nuts.

Comment

Working...
                              X