Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off the line

G'day,
    I've been riding for a few years now. I'm fairly quick through the corners, but shit off the line. I ride an 05 R6 so it's not a slow bike.

What i'm after is a bit of advice. How do I improve my acceleration of the line at the lights? I can beat any car, but bikes which I reckon I can/should beat, get off the line faster than me. It's not until I get up round 8,000-10,000rpm that my bike show's what it's capable of and then it keeps on pulling though the gears. But it's those first 3-5sec that are killing me.

Any advice appreciated.

Yak.
    "When you have a lifestyle to maintain, health is a secondary priority"

woop arse wednesdays starting sept 2 at Kwinana motorplex $40 .best and safest way to learn ,youll have a ball

Comment

Yeah "Rock Hard", I'm keen to do the drags, but only as long at it's not a dick measuring contest.

If i go then I want to learn how to get faster off the line. Not just go out there, talk to no one and not learn anything.

Yak

Comment

Slip the clutch more. A good launch u should be sitting at about 10,000rpm and slip the clutch so you can feel the front wheel struggling to stay on the ground, once it feels right let the clutch right out and go through the gears. So basically what im getting at is, you should hear a flat sound in the rpm (not getting higher or lower) until you get up to speed.
        ZippySig.com

Comment

As one of the most regular riders of an R1 that I know, quoting TurboR1 seems somehow appropriate - "Think of the clutch as a consumable."

For me, adjusting to the R1 from the Gix needed exactly that. The R1 needs revs, and plenty of them. Slip that fucker like nothing else (but be smooth with it) and you'll launch fine.
          2006 Yamaha R1SP;
          In an interview with the New Scientist magazine marking his birthday, Stephen Hawking was asked what he thought about most during the day, and replied: "Women. They are a complete mystery."
          Amen, brother. Amen.
          My nemesis; Barfridge

Comment

Thanks boys. Good advice, How brutal is this on the bike thou? Are they designed to absorb this kind of abuse or are are they getting punished by it?

Cheers
            Yak

Comment

also you gotta remeber 600s dont get to their torque curve until 7k to 9k so you gotta launch close to that so you have maximum torque to get you off the line quicker

Comment

Well they are technically race bikes for the road but of course they aren't built for non-stop abuse. The occasional launch from sets of lights and you should have no problems bar a slightly shortened clutch life.
                Practicing your launches over and over every 100m all day will see you fuck the clutch quick smart.

If you're really worried, change your oil more often and look at beefing the clutch up, maybe.
                2006 Yamaha R1SP;
                In an interview with the New Scientist magazine marking his birthday, Stephen Hawking was asked what he thought about most during the day, and replied: "Women. They are a complete mystery."
                Amen, brother. Amen.
                My nemesis; Barfridge

Comment

In this case the only major thing getting punished is the clutch - which is replaceable.

Obviously you will also be going through tyres, chains, sprockets faster aswell, but they are all also replaceable.
                  ZippySig.com

Comment

10,000rpm and slip the clutch.......

my first bike redlined at 6000rpm
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Blue_Dot

Comment

It looks like there'll be dry roads tomorrow, so I reckon I'll have to take it out and try dropping the clutch around 8,000rpm.
                      Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

Peter600; Mine redlines at 14,000rpm! The wonders of modern technology!!!

Yak.

Comment

FUCK NO!!!!

Don't drop anything unless you want to end up lying UNDER your bike. Slip the clutch, don't drop it.
                        2006 Yamaha R1SP;
                        Amen, brother. Amen.
                        My nemesis; Barfridge

Comment

Originally posted by Yak View Post
                          It looks like there'll be dry roads tomorrow, so I reckon I'll have to take it out and try dropping the clutch around 8,000rpm.
                          Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

Peter600; Mine redlines at 14,000rpm! The wonders of modern technology!!!

Yak.
                          Slip the clutch, not drop (I know what you meant)
                          But if you intend to drop the clutch at 8,000, let me know, i'll bring a Video camera
                          Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornet View Post
                            Slip the clutch, don't drop it.
                            This...

Do not simply drop it, or you'll be staring at the pretty blue sky wondering what the fuck just happened

Comment

Originally posted by Hornet View Post
                              If you're really worried, change your oil more often and look at beefing the clutch up, maybe.
                              Just remember after you beef up the clutch that you'll be putting more stress and strain on the gearbox. Clutches are more easily replaceable than gearboxes (I think.. I know on cars they are. )

Comment

Working...
                              X