Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failing R class - too young?

Ok,
    so i failed my first R class test a few months back, and although i know i could have ridden better i do not believe what the instructor told me was a clear representation of my riding skills. Many of the things he said i did/did not do were the things i was concentrating on making sure i did right.
    Im not getting hung up over it as i will just book another test and try to do better next time. But i have had a few friends have many difficulties in gaining their R class.
    On has failed for the third time in a row. First was fr 54 in a 50 zone which we agree is fair enough, however the second was for an emergency stop in which he completed it well within an acceptable distance. The instructor on this occasion had no gloves on and a summer jacket and looked quite cold since the test was in the morning, after 5 minutes of riding they did the emergency stop then was told to head back to the centre.
    The most recent time was for going 50 in a 60 zone on a day in which it was raining and the roads were quite busy and wet. He was told he needs to do the speed limit.
    His father/instructor is an ex bike cop who really feels as though his son is not passing due to his age (19). Does this sound about right in many places?
    I have had reports from others stating that they were being failed for the most minuscule of reasons, almost as though the instructors were looking for a reason to fail them. All thesereports have come from people who are about 18, 19 or 20.

Does anyone else feel as though they may have been failed due to their age? Or is it just that these certain people get really picky instructors?

EDIT: Is it better to show up with a professional instructor than a parent or friend?
    I was just raising hell I wasn't doing no harm, the cops could not appreciate my natural charm.

And you/these young people aren't the type that only ride their bike on occasion, when the weather suits them best?

I've read it time and time again, you should be getting as many hours on your 250 in as many conditions as possible. I know I do, and I can't see how I will have any issues passing my test. You SHOULD be doing 60 in a 60 zone, even when it's raining. What should change is your following distances, and the point at which you start braking.

Is your 600 your only bike? No 250?

Comment

I got my R class at 18 first go at mandurah
      "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

did mine when i has just turned 19 on a R1.......no probs

Comment

Originally posted by 02keilj View Post
          His father/instructor is an ex bike cop who really feels as though his son is not passing due to his age
          Is it actually difficult for a parent to admit their child is shit at something?
          such comment
          wow
          many post

Comment

Originally posted by polony View Post
            You SHOULD be doing 60 in a 60 zone
            Bullshit.

I'll slow down if I don't feel 60 is a good speed for the road conditions... 60 is the MAXIMUM speed for that road, not the speed you need to do.
            Sure, don't do 15km/h, but there is no requirement to do the limit all the time.

Although I do think that maybe young guys might get marked harder for R class, I got my R class first go at 19 years of age. You simply need to meet the conditions of the test.
            Do nothing wrong and they can't fail you.

Comment

Originally posted by padfoot View Post
              Bullshit.

I'll slow down if I don't feel 60 is a good speed for the road conditions... 60 is the MAXIMUM speed for that road, not the speed you need to do.
              Sure, don't do 15km/h, but there is no requirement to do the limit all the time.

Although I do think that maybe young guys might get marked harder for R class, I got my R class first go at 19 years of age. You simply need to meet the conditions of the test.
              Do nothing wrong and they can't fail you.
              I'll do under 60 in the dry if the conditions are bad enough, that was not my point. If the ONLY issue is rain, ie no crazy pedestrians/swerving traffic/crap road/crazy kangaroos, then you shouldn't drop your speed.

Comment

I had the wonderful Jessica shadow me to the licence centre, after passing RE test the assessor said something to the effect of "I was surprised by your riding as you didn't come here with an instructor, you must have had lessons because you were doing all the head checks etc." I would say that it does make a difference who shadows you to the test as it is something that will effect the way that they create an idea of what person you are. Not saying that that is fair or anything, hell your choice of leathers probably has more of an effect but they will fail you if they feel that you are not ready to ride a thou based on either what you did in your test or your demeanour and attitude towards riding.
                Please contact the Administrator if your date of birth has changed.

Comment

Originally posted by polony View Post
                  And you/these young people aren't the type that only ride their bike on occasion, when the weather suits them best?

I've read it time and time again, you should be getting as many hours on your 250 in as many conditions as possible. I know I do, and I can't see how I will have any issues passing my test. You SHOULD be doing 60 in a 60 zone, even when it's raining. What should change is your following distances, and the point at which you start braking.

Is your 600 your only bike? No 250?
                  My 600 is my only biek now. Traded the 250 as i wouldnt have been able to afford both.
                  I actually did ride my 250 in all weather conditions, did a reasonable amount of gravel riding, took it out in the wet for the sole purpose of learning to ride in the wet.
                  And as for going 60 in a 60 zone rain or shine. Sure your following distances should be larger, but in the learner manual i read it said to drive slower when its wet.

Cam yes it often might be hard for a parent to admit their child is shit at something, but when it comes to something like this you would assume they would be more concerned with their childs safety.
                  I know i have a lot to learn on my 600, but the main problem is much of what i have to learn is just development of skills which need more and more riding. I cant afford to pay an instructor for 5000km on my R class.

I hope it doesnt seem as though im whinging about it all because im not trying to. Im just curious as to what other people think about the situation
                  I was just raising hell I wasn't doing no harm, the cops could not appreciate my natural charm.

Comment

All i can say is practise the hell out of everything untill it becomes a habbit. Don't just book another test and go back when its time, take a month of two off of it. Go out and practise everything you have to do in the tests, what ever he/she says you did wrong. Improve on it! And make sure you don't give them a reason to say you did it wrong again.

Comment

one thing i mentioned in all my tests c, re x 2 and R, i told the instructor i am unfamiliar with the area and may be a little bit slow on the roads, mainly with the r class as it is hard to hold spot on 60 while trying to find street names and all that shit. Only talking doin <5kms under on streets with lots of cross roads. They seemed pretty good with it, although my R examiner mentioned it. The cheeky prick then pointed out the scratches down the side of the bike hinting i was a bad rider and the marks could indicate poor skills/no confidence.(binned at collie on the track).
                      Originally posted by Rocket
                      Hahah yeah, cos if there's one thing that scares the shit out of people, it's a bunch of 60kg computer geeks on GPX250's wobbling into a carpark.

Comment

maybe the instructor is just trying to stop you from killing yourselves, he doesn't believe you have the necessary experience to cope on the road. It's all up to his judgment and I would prefer not to see any more posts in memoriam for forum members or any other rider.

Comment

Which examiners? which licensing centres?

Comment

well i was failed at willagee, but thats wasnt really all that bad. My friend also failed one at willagee and im not sure where the others were

Comment

+1 don't rush it mate, you will get your R. just listen to your instructor and get more practice. I was on my L for 6 months before my R. You are young one month early or late wont make any difference.

Originally posted by taint View Post
                              maybe the instructor is just trying to stop you from killing yourselves, he doesn't believe you have the necessary experience to cope on the road. It's all up to his judgment and I would prefer not to see any more posts in memoriam for forum members or any other rider.
                              You know what you get for being a hero? Nothing. You get shot at. A little pat on the back, blah blah blah, attaboy. You get divorced. Your wife can't remember your last name. Kids don't wanna talk to you. Get to eat a lot of meals by yourself. Trust me kid, nobody wants to be that guy

Comment

Working...
                              X