Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Import from N.Z ??

Hello all

Just wondering if anyone here has experience with importing a bike from N.Z. ? Was looking on Trademe , the ebay type auction they have and saw quite a few bikes that were much cheaper than the equivalent over here. Example - 2006 999r with carbon wheels and low k's for about 26 g's buy it now. Am hoping maybe there is some kind of leniency between the two countries as I want the bike I'm after to be registered,not track only. Can't seem to get the info out of google . Thanks.

Sorry mate, no leniency Unless you have owned the bike for 12 months it is very hard to registe (and costly)r, specially due the fact that the 999r was sold here (so it isn't a grey import)

There are tonnes of threads about it here, unless you want a trackie I think you are out of luck..

Comment

Originally posted by Xuaxace View Post
      Sorry mate, no leniency Unless you have owned the bike for 12 months it is very hard to registe (and costly)r, specially due the fact that the 999r was sold here (so it isn't a grey import)

There are tonnes of threads about it here, unless you want a trackie I think you are out of luck..
      If you haven't owned it for 12 months overseas, you are stuffed! It will have to be converted to comply with ADR's!!
      “The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is. - W Churchill”

Comment

Oh well . Thanks for the replies ! I suppose I'm limited to 851's and so on as I'm pretty sure if they're over 20 years that you can register them . A couple more years down the track and 888's come into contention which is getting better. Hooroo !

Comment

^^ they changed that law to be pre-1989, and not "15 years".

for cages, at least - i would presume bikes are the same.
          “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
            ^^ they changed that law to be pre-1989, and not "15 years".

for cages, at least - i would presume bikes are the same.

Yep, ur right...

Same with bikes...

Comment

nah once you tell 'em it's from NZ they'll say no.

We've got enough kiwi's here...
              Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
                Hello all

Just wondering if anyone here has experience with importing a bike from N.Z. ? Was looking on Trademe , the ebay type auction they have and saw quite a few bikes that were much cheaper than the equivalent over here. Example - 2006 999r with carbon wheels and low k's for about 26 g's buy it now. Am hoping maybe there is some kind of leniency between the two countries as I want the bike I'm after to be registered,not track only. Can't seem to get the info out of google . Thanks.
                Actually there might be a way around this as the 999R is a realtivly low volume bike there is a provision under DOTARS to bring in rare and collectable vehicles with out the need to go through ADR's to road register them. If you ring them and get the right person on the right day they can let you put in a pre application (to apply you must have a recipt saying you own the bike) and they will have a look at it an tell you weather you are likely to succeed or not. The permit itself is only about $50 but to get the permit you must own the bike.

I'm just not sure what rare and collectable is defined as by them. You'll need to construct a pretty good story with why its rare and collectable, Troy Bayliss links total produced racing history movie appearances and anything else that enhances the argument that this is the one to have. Depends on how keen you are however by the time you pay shipping, GST and stamp duty it might be fairly line ball on buying one here.
                Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Are there actually any roads with corners in Groot Eylandt?
                  Click here to see my Ducati 999R in the PSB garage... You'll love it!

Don't click here to see my ZX9R aka The Ginger Ninja... there's no link!

Comment

What nero said is worth pursuing - but I don't like the chances. The laws are in place to a. protect the aussie car manufacturers and B. protect "official" importers such as Ducati (or Nissan, Toyota, etc) australia...

Best bet is to get it from the horses mouth (DPI) and make sure you get it IN WRITING, ideally if you can get an official copy of the regulations regarding vehicle imports that would be best.

edit:
                    another exception to the law, for cages at least is if you have a level 3 CAMS (motorsport) license - you can import vehicles for race use only.

I'm not sure what the equivalent license is for bikes? Maybe ask Josh (apetheticend) what hoops he had to jump through to import his 600rr as a track only bike, as well?
                    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

I don't think I could come at buying the bike first and hoping that I could register it later. It was just an idea but I'm not in a position living where I do to get that involved in beurocracy - and I don't have patience for that kind of thing either. Shame, as that 999r is at least $20 000 cheaper than you see them here.

Rod - very nice bike. It took me a while to fall for the 999's, but have fallen hard now. A black '05 999s is what I'm after , just have to wait a few months to get off this god forbidden island. And yes , there are corners on this island - 2 in total. My bikes are in Melbourne besides the Husaberg .

Thanks again !!

Comment

Working...
                      X