losing your licence and insurance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• losing your licence and insurance?

I am to hand my licence over in about 3 weeks or so, which I lost on points. I am cool with this as September - December is good cycling weather and I love riding my pushie. HOWEVER -------

The one problem I am only recently aware of, and that is obtaining motorcycle insurance once you get your licence back. I noticed my current insurer and a couple of others won't cover me if i've lost my licence in the past 5 years, which is a bit of a prick.

Has somebody had this problem before? Or does anybody know an insurer that will cover me once I get my licence back?

I would appreciate any advice on this matter as I don't really want to do the whole good behaviour thing..
    'There are only three sports: Bullfighting, motor racing and mountaineering. All the rest are merely games.' - Hemingway

i'm sure this came up the other day...
    Last edited by drifter; 23-08-2009, 11:19 PM. Reason: wrong link
    Need a website designer? PM me for a quote.
    Here are some sites I've done recently - Velocity Race Team | Business Insurance | West Perth Insurance Broker | Labour Hire | Final Trim Operators

Comment

mmm I didn't think loss of points was the same as a Traffic conviction i.e. reckless. If it affected your insurance there would be heaps of people with Insurance issues!!!

Comment

it will affect your excess . i now have an extra 400 if i make a claim. drink driving is the worst for insurance.

swann will still insure you.
        IM ALWAYS ON THE EDGE, ITS ONLY THE SHARPNESS THAT VARYS

Comment

when my mate got hoon lawed in his car, they asked the judge if he could have it listed as a spent conviction. the judge said 'no way, you can explain your record to your insurance company'
          Need a website designer? PM me for a quote.
          Here are some sites I've done recently - Velocity Race Team | Business Insurance | West Perth Insurance Broker | Labour Hire | Final Trim Operators

Comment

Only adds an excess with decent insurance companies...

And that includesbeing hoon lawed...

Comment

a license suspension for points doesnt count as a criminal conviction so you shouldnt have a problem still getting insurance. It may just cost you a bit more.
              B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

Originally posted by cthulhu View Post
                I am to hand my licence over in about 3 weeks or so, which I lost on points. I am cool with this as September - December is good cycling weather and I love riding my pushie. HOWEVER -------

The one problem I am only recently aware of, and that is obtaining motorcycle insurance once you get your licence back. I noticed my current insurer and a couple of others won't cover me if i've lost my licence in the past 5 years, which is a bit of a prick.

Has somebody had this problem before? Or does anybody know an insurer that will cover me once I get my licence back?

I would appreciate any advice on this matter as I don't really want to do the whole good behaviour thing..
                I spent 5 years in prison and had trouble getting insurance as they would always ask me if I have had any convictions in the past 5 or 10 years and ask if ive been suspended or cancelled, but I went to aami and allianz which is aami's parent company I think and they didnt care if I had a criminal record. Im pretty sure all of them will ask you about license suspensions etc but some may not add it to your premium but just add it to your excess so ring heaps thats what i did

Comment

yeah just be prepared for your excess to go up, my excess on car insurance went up 1000 bucks after losing my licence on points

Comment

I've lost my license twice, and never had any issues with insurance, apart from having the excess go up a bit.

Whatever you do, TELL THEM about your past. They will find out anyway - in the event of a claim - and they would probably decline your claim because of the lack of disclosure. That wouldn't be very nice at all. You must also list all subsequent convictions/infringements/whatever year on year.

What shits me about this is that they are perfectly happy to take your money upfront for a premium, but wait until any claim to perform their background checks.

Greedy Bastard$
                    Dead Man's Hand
                    Internationational Porter Protection Group
                    Just call me Pat

Comment

I lost my license for points January last year, I'm 23 and ebike insurance are the only ones I could get insurance with for my bikes. Just car are the only ones that would insure me for my car (v8 ute). I pay around $1800 a year for third party only on 2 bikes.

Comment

Depends.

Many companies give you an excess increase (lost mine about 8 yrs back for DUI, was a simple excess increase). Some (mainly discount insurers, like insuremyride, etc) will refuse to insure you (they're cheap because they eliminate potential risks like people who have lost their license from their clientele).

So, don't expect insurance to be cheap.
                        “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by cthulhu View Post

sweet.

So your track record is colliding with their underwriting guidelines...

Insurances companies work differently. You might have to, god forbid, call them and ask, instead of asking on a forum if anyone here knows each insurers guidelines and underwiting methods. Underwriting guidelines are just that, guidelines, and they can be subject to change.

Some will require you have a decent 5yr (or so) driver history. Some will say no, straight out. Good luck.

Comment

i lost my licence last year via dangerous and i'm with AAMI. they've been great about it all

Comment

Lost mine for reckless in feb, informed swann (had 2 bikes with them) and rac (2 cars), was only a excess increase for both. Failure to advise would of meant possible refusal of payment if claim made. Rac have a 'points' system, which is a multiplication of age, type of vehicle and driving record. If points exceed a certain level, uninsurable for a period of 12 months.
                              yes, i am ignorant
                              yes, i am a prick
                              no, i don't care
                              you make me sick

Comment

Working...
                              X