Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Country riding/fuel consumption

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Country riding/fuel consumption

    Just for interest, I was wondering if anyone knows the most efficient speed to run at in the country since I just got a job in Bindoon and when this rain goes away I'll be on the bike each day (hopefully).

    I have a ninja 250, not that i'm penny pinching about fuel, but I was just thinking that some speeds might be more efficient than 110km/h (not that i'm going to sit at 90km/h or anything)


    next question is how does a 600cc compare? In a few months I'm rekoning on having a ZX6R and without doing any research at all I have come to the conclusion that 110kms will be more fuel efficient with a 600cc engine. Am I dreaming???

  • #2
    What's you're current consumption like? My 600 averages 5.2/100 on the freeway. Roughly between 250-270km off a 17 litre tank
    Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via
    For The Tenacious, No Road Is Impassable

    Comment


    • #3
      A 250 should always be more fuel efficient and it will be more efficent at 80 or 90km/hr than it would at 120, also factor in tyre wear if you really want to. I know a car tyre will wear about 50% faster per km travelled at 120 than it does at 80.

      Just enjoy the ride and not worry about it (and take chittering road/ chittering valley road to get there )
      Men have motorcycles while women have menstrual cycles, you can't talk to either while they are on it. The women's also has a sound, it goes nag-na-nag-nag-nag, biiiiiitch-bitch-biiiiiiiitch!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by coxjon View Post
        Just for interest, I was wondering if anyone knows the most efficient speed to run at in the country since I just got a job in Bindoon and when this rain goes away I'll be on the bike each day (hopefully).

        I have a ninja 250, not that i'm penny pinching about fuel, but I was just thinking that some speeds might be more efficient than 110km/h (not that i'm going to sit at 90km/h or anything)


        next question is how does a 600cc compare? In a few months I'm rekoning on having a ZX6R and without doing any research at all I have come to the conclusion that 110kms will be more fuel efficient with a 600cc engine. Am I dreaming???

        The speed limit speeding fines are expensive, the modern 600 is tuned for power not economy the basic rule is if you want 100 odd hp out you've got to put it in. Depending on how stretched the 250 is at 110 will depend on how the 600 compares. By the time you factor tyres in on the 600 the 250 will be much much cheaper.
        Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

        Comment


        • #5
          Your 250cc twin will be more fuel efficient than a sports 600cc or bigger.

          90-110kph will be the most fuel efficient range to ride in, but it will depend on wind and road surface.

          A big tourer might match your 250 for fuel economy, but chains/tyres will still cost more.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Waikikamucau View Post
            A 250 should always be more fuel efficient
            oh really
            comparing my cbr250rr to the R1 the amount of km is roughly the same if not better on the R1 (depending on how I ride)
            not to sure on the cbr600 yet though I havnt done any calcs to figure it out (it has a fuel gauge so i dont count km's)
            Originally posted by Lefty
            Wouldn't be like me to upset the herd.

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm getting about 300kms out of 17L but it's good to know that the 600cc bikes compare to the 1.3L car that is the other choice to drive to school. I know the tyres are the killer but i gotta have a bike, right?

              Any any bike is better than the 18L/100km RX7 with $240 tyres that is the third and kinda crazy choice

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Bradlze View Post
                oh really
                comparing my cbr250rr to the R1 the amount of km is roughly the same if not better on the R1 (depending on how I ride)
                not to sure on the cbr600 yet though I havnt done any calcs to figure it out (it has a fuel gauge so i dont count km's)
                Yeah strange that mine is kinda the same.

                My R1 is about as efficient as my old cbr was..5/6L to 100km's most of the time.

                I guess my cbr was 20 years old though.
                Riding for Cameron Elliott #52
                1985 - 2009

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Yagadan View Post
                  Yeah strange that mine is kinda the same.

                  My R1 is about as efficient as my old cbr was..5/6L to 100km's most of the time.

                  I guess my cbr was 20 years old though.
                  I think you'll find your CBR would have been revving it's tits off compared to your R1. The CBR would also use a LOT more throttle when accelerating/cruising.
                  Originally posted by Desmo
                  Why be a cunt about it?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I have been told and read a few times that the most economical speed for any vehicle is the one that puts you in the peak torque range of your engine. e.g. if your bikes peak torque comes in at 4,000rpm then that is where you will get your best economy.
                    I haven't seen or done any dyno or fuel economy runs to confirm it so it is just heresay but it sounds like it kind of makes sense.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      The peak torque thing makes sense to a degree.

                      The only catch is that peak torque is measured at wide open throttle, which means the amount of air passing through the engine is significantly different to what it would be if you were just cruising, which can make quite a difference to the most economical rpm.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Theres way too many variables to be able to say X km/h is the most efficient.
                        How the engine is tuned, how the bikes geared, wind speed, aerodynamics, frontal area, rolling resistance, tyre pressure, how well the bike is maintained etc
                        Its going to be different for every vehicle.

                        If you want to get an idea, fill the tank up, ride at a speed for a week, see how much fuel you need to top it back up. Do the same next week 10km/h faster.

                        Not accelerating hard off the line will probably save you more fuel riding 10km/h faster or slower than optimum.

                        With a 600, again depends on the bike, and a heap of other things. Theres no set rule to say a 600 will always cruise more or less efficiently than a 250.
                        Respect is earned, not enforced.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          stay at home and work on a hart failure/ brain shutdown! or a wrist injury pulling yer self
                          How many bottles of pizz an hour and what about the pies and pasties count?
                          seriously WTF

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Jamathi View Post
                            stay at home and work on a hart failure/ brain shutdown! or a wrist injury pulling yer self
                            How many bottles of pizz an hour and what about the pies and pasties count?
                            seriously WTF
                            What the fuck indeed...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              If I rode a two-stroke I'd be peeved at any economy chat. Ha ha.
                              There is no compromise. Ride the bike that makes you smile the most! No good getting great economy if you aren't enjoying the ride. You ride cos you love it. So have fun.
                              Justine.... Always and Forever

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X