Kilometers Versus Age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kilometers Versus Age

Did a brief search for something along these lines but kilometers and age - funnily enough - are both fairly commonly used words on a motorbike forum

This is a bit of a hypothetical situation, and also fairly open ended. As a matter of openness, I'm not in this situation, nor am I expecting any particular outcome or determination from any of the ensuing discussion.

Essentially, when buying a second hand bike that is in average condition (average is as good as any really, the condition of the bike isn't how we're discriminating to pick one) and you need to work out which one you wish to buy, how and why do you do it, assuming all other things more or less equal.

Bike 1: Newer model somewhat more kms on it.
    Bike 2: Older model, somewhat less.

I suppose what I'm driving at is this, what do you put more value in, the odo or the age and why?
    Originally posted by Ferris
    I love how PSB has turned into "Dear Martha"

Figure shit out yourselves, retards.

I'd take the older bike with less km's if everything is in good condition.
    Riding - Living the dream...

Comment

all i know is next time i will try and do the complete opposite to what i did this time
      cause this time i f*cked it up good and proper
      (btw mine was old with lots of k's, but CHEAP!! which ended up being very expensive!!!stupid stupid stupid)

Comment

Id buy a newer bike with more km's on it
        generally id think that something newer with lots of kms has been used as a commuter and not a weekend thrasher
        Originally posted by Lefty
        Wouldn't be like me to upset the herd.

Comment

Interesting question dude.

For me it would be the older bike with less k's. In my mind less k's means longer life.

/massive generalities.
          Originally posted by Semi
          I ride slowly because I'm a massive faggot.

Comment

Originally posted by rcradical View Post
            Interesting question dude.

For me it would be the older bike with less k's. In my mind less k's means longer life.

/massive generalities.
            +1

Generally, older bike with less kms, all other things being equal.

Comment

It's bugged me a lot for pretty much every vehicle I've bought... so I thought I'd put it to the brains trust. There seems to be people in both camps(which doesn't totally surprise me), but why - for those that have said so - are you biased towards one of those values?

It's something that people haven't really answered or been able to explain to me (in and out of this thread) in an adequate or comprehensive manner.

Comment

I would think less kms = less use = better condition theoretically. So year wouldn't matter as much? Unless you want to factor in things like technology and whether newer technology is more reliable/lasts longer.

But some people treat their bikes better than others *shrug*
                Drink all day, play all night,
                Let's get it poppin'.
                I'm on my Yammie, bitch!

Comment

Originally posted by SKYRYAN View Post
                  I would think less kms = less use = better condition theoretically.
                  generally I would think if a bike has less km's on it for its age it would be used for either thrash rides for the weekend or lil trips down to the shops
                  thats were I get my theory from but nobody can really tell how hard the km;s so i guess what type of bike it is also
                  Originally posted by Lefty
                  Wouldn't be like me to upset the herd.

Comment

Depends on how few km's as very low use can cause more problems than high rate of use. Think I'd go the newer one with high kms, parts still avalible, any hiccups from the factory will be sorted by now.
                    Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

As you state hard to narrow down to just these two situations.

Normally there are advances in tech/handling/perf in each model over the years. Certainly if you listen to the PR & marketing but I think it really comes down to the bike in question.

Obvioulsy everyone has differing opinions on makes of bikes as well as different models. Some makes & models I would choose newer over older but others I would be happier to have the older bike.

Also depends how varied the years are... are you talking about an 08 or an 06 or an 08 or a 02.. the bigger the gap the more likely the newer bikes has tech & perf adv.

However to answer your very general question I would probably choose the newer bike because I like new stuff and any extra klms (say differece between a bike done 30k or 10k is not really too bad I think.. most stuff on abike is replaced fairly often, tryes, chain, etc. A modern engine should be built to last many many klms.

My only caveat is I would not be bying a bike that has done more the 50K on the clock despite it age. Just a personal thing that you have a fair bit of milage left before getting towards the 100K that seems to be a big negative when you try to sell it.

Comment

Yeah I recognise it's a very general question... I'm just trying to get it down to the deterministic level. I know that it would be a very rare occasion that two bikes are more or less negligibly different save for age and kms, but in that hypothetical situation - met with the same amount of want for each (without the ability to buy both) - which way do you go?

Comment

My 1989 XT225 cost me $1200, had 20,000km's on the clock and runs way better than the newer riding school Scorpios with high km's.
                          Originally posted by darkfibre
                          Just sync the oil changes with her monthly cycle and get all the grumpyness over with, leaving the rest of the month clear sailing.

Comment

Buy on condition rather than kays (or age).

I'd rather have a 3 year old bike that was looked after with 60,000km on it than one that's 2 years old and done 30,000 hard kays and had zero maintenance.
                            “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

The lower km bike will always hold a little more sway with me, but it isnt realy something that can be answered as a hypothetical, because every purchase will be different.
                              With the bikes being hypothetically equal I would have to look at what the bike is used for, commuting, go with the lower km bike, but if its for weekend blast/track/fun maybe a higher km bike will be ok.
                              I also try and look at what the resale will be, a higher km bike will depreciate faster when you start putting km's on it, but an older bike will hit the point where the price will plateau (IMO).

Comment

Working...
                              X