riding with music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• riding with music

A few people i know ride without earplugs but rather listen to music, but does it affect the way you ride?
    A few years ago i got pulled over for speeding around herdsman lake, if i recall 90+ in a 60 zone, the nice cop downgraded and fined me with 3 demerit points. I wanted to say it was the fault of listening to "bloody cape" by the deftones while riding, which in fact what it was, i was so amped up by the song i didn't realise i was going so fast, relatively speaking. Thoughts?
    Change to enya? ^_^
    never play leapfrog with a unicorn

Maybe hit the search button. +riding +tunes

Some do, some don't, it's worth fighting over
    "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Apologies if it has been covered before but yeah, i did do a search and read the relevant threads. Most talk about which headphones to buy and is it legal. Close this thread if you wish, but i was on about how some music affects you riding, makes you more aggressive.
      never play leapfrog with a unicorn

Comment

Originally posted by valvolux View Post
        Apologies if it has been covered before but yeah, i did do a search and read the relevant threads. Most talk about which headphones to buy and is it legal. Close this thread if you wish, but i was on about how some music affects you riding, makes you more aggressive.
        Get a radar detector so you can listen to whatever you want :grin:

Comment

Originally posted by STEEDS View Post
          Get a radar detector so you can listen to whatever you want :grin:
          Ha ha true true if ya need a radar detector let me know we sell them at work !

I notice when i'm in my car music does affect my speed but i would never listen to music on the bike . . . . . seems like a distraction to me . . . .
          Keep being awesome ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Rickyj View Post

I notice when i'm in my car music does affect my speed but i would never listen to music on the bike . . . . . seems like a distraction to me . . . .
            Yeah i tend to agree, i have tried it a few times but just dont feel i am as aware with the music on cause i tend to get caught up in it (love my music) I only listen to music now if i am riding long boring distances, and have never worn ear plugs cause i have never felt the need (then again, i am only on a 250 )

Comment

I find I drive/ride how I drive/ride, and the music doesn't really affect it - and my music is pretty fast paced and pretty loud. Having only recently started listening to music while riding (only been riding a few months, so I wanted to get comfortable riding without it first), I have to pay a little more attention to how the bike pulls at certain revs/gears/speed instead of judging speed from sound, but it hasn't been too hard an adjustment.
              Insert witty comment here

Comment

Originally posted by valvolux View Post
                I wanted to say it was the fault of listening to "bloody cape" by the deftones while riding, which in fact what it was, i was so amped up by the song i didn't realise i was going so fast, relatively speaking. Thoughts?
                Change to enya? ^_^
                Thoughts?
                Maybe stop listening to music and pay attention to what is going on around you.

Comment

Fair enough valvolux - the comments about music type are there amongst all the hatemongering. I'll play.

Geraldton road trip year before last, my iRiver had been playing up so I had it on random with no remote. Overtook a few bikes on a blast with Rammstein playing, next shuffle: from a Gregorian Chants album. Didn't feel like I was riding differently but all those bikes then overtook me...
                  "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Every time i go for a semi-spirited ride my playlist(set to shuffle) always seems to find age of pamparius by turbonegro.

This makes me bikedance and I probably look like a right fucking tool.

Comment

I listen to the ipod low enough that only at the lights do i actually hear the music. I don't have any shame most of the time so I do do the drum solos.
                      The only issue i have is that because it is a touch screen i can't change song. I would like to get a shuffle and do as some people do and have it sit on the inside of my wrist.
                      Please contact the Administrator if your date of birth has changed.

Comment

Originally posted by cocksnogger4 View Post
                        Thoughts?
                        Maybe stop listening to music and pay attention to what is going on around you.
                        This^^

I know when riding you can hear cars coming up along side you and essentially judge the speed they are going and how close by listening to them. This means you can keep your eyes on the road ahead (still check mirrors obviously).
                        With music on you cant quite hear the cars as much and you have to check mirrors more often.
                        Ive done rides to and from Perth on my 250 and am glad i made the decision not to listen to music on the way.

Remember just because an accident may not be your fault, it is possible for you to avoid it. So keep your eyes and ears peeled and concentrate on the riding
                        I was just raising hell I wasn't doing no harm, the cops could not appreciate my natural charm.

Comment

Originally posted by Rickyj View Post
                          Beltronics STi?

Originally posted by Stormrider View Post
                          I listen to the ipod low enough that only at the lights do i actually hear the music. I don't have any shame most of the time so I do do the drum solos.
                          The only issue i have is that because it is a touch screen i can't change song. I would like to get a shuffle and do as some people do and have it sit on the inside of my wrist.
                          heehehhe funniest mental image ever.

Comment

Originally posted by 02keilj View Post
                            This^^

I know when riding you can hear cars coming up along side you and essentially judge the speed they are going and how close by listening to them. This means you can keep your eyes on the road ahead (still check mirrors obviously).
                            With music on you cant quite hear the cars as much and you have to check mirrors more often.
                            Oh bullshit.

Just don't turn the volume up to extreme levels.

You can hear everything going on around you perfectly.

Comment

I've never listened to music on the bike, since I'm learning and need to give myself the best possible chances of noticing any/everything without distraction.

But in the car, if I turn off the tunes, I notice my driving smooths out a fair bit, simply because I've got more of my mind on the task at hand.

It might just be me, but either way, it's up to you to assess how much of your total concentration you need to keep yourself safe at any given time, and act accordingly.
                              Originally posted by Dragunov-21
                              If you want me to answer a question, I want you to ask one that doesn't put words in my mouth that were never there.

Comment

Working...
                              X