Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• split - close call

Hey people,

I had a real scare about half an hour ago so I just thought I'd recap what happened and get some advice on what i should do next time to avoid such a clusterfuck. Half an hour ago I attempted my fourth ever lane split in light traffic. There were four cars in front of me at an intersection so rather than get caught up in the traffic coming up behind i idled up between the two front cars. Took a while for the lights to go green, when they did I pulled away hard (maybe a little too hard) and went to pull into the right lane, casting a quick glance, indicating and moving across all at once (stupid I guess)..as I looked back at the car in the right lane and started banking I realised it was only a foot away from me and accelerating fast, I freaked out and swerved back into the left (technically there could have been a car there too) as the car in the right backed off. Had I fully crossed I would have been rear ended at 70km/h. I am still kicking myself.

It was my fault that I assumed the car in the right was further behind me and commenced everything almost simultaneously I know that. The driver mustn't have liked me splitting I guess cos he must have floored it? Its really put me off incase it happens again because even if I had have seen him earlier it still would have left me in a dangerous situation. Does that kind of thing happen often? Also are there any tips you would give for safe splitting?
    Much love for you. http://templeofthewayoflight.org/

On a 250, any car with some decent performance will be able to harrass you if they really want to.
    Just do your head checks, don't assume.
    Riding - Living the dream...

Comment

1. Get a bike that has enough power to pull the skin off custard, because yours doesn't.

2. In the meantime, check the car out - you will get a feel for how fast he's gonna go and if he looks like he's going to take off like a shower of shit, let him. Jump in behind.

3. Pay attention to the lights in the other direction. You should already be just about moving by the time the lights turn green, giving you a second's head start whilst most people in cars are working out how to put it into first, etc, etc, etc.

4. Pull up to the white line at the lights on one side or other of the longitudinal line (between the lanes) - you're in a lane. STAY in that lane when you go until you're away and things are clear and worry about the car you're sharing the lane with, not the other one.

5. You will learn better awareness of where the cars are around you (or you'll die). Rare for a car to be like that on BOTH sides of you, if wedged you can look to change lanes.

It'll get easier with more practise.
      "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

In general I look at the driver, perhaps give them a nod and suss them out. Do they look happy that your now next to them? Are they eagerly looking at the lights and waiting for them to go green so they can race you? From my experience's, there shouldn't be a need to "give it heaps", just enough, pick a lane and merge from the centre line.
        On the bright side, lesson learnt and your hear to type about it. Not all bad.....
        User contains traces of nuts.

Comment

Sit yourself in front of the car before the light changes as well dude, then there is no ambiguity as to which lane you are in. I always check to see if it is a hotted import/ute/falcadore before doing that though - the driver might be an aggressive fuckstick with way more acceleration than a 250 is capable of.

Comment

Mate ive had similar problems.everytime i used to take my old VTR down the middle, to my luck there would be the local commodore hero who thought he was Mark Skaife.In the end unless it was a Hyundai Getz at the front i stopped doing it.as rc sam just said there are too many cars that can harrass a 250.my tip is unless you know you can beat the car on take off and get yourself in a safe position knowing they might try and challenge you, then dont do it at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Drenelin View Post
              Sit yourself in front of the car before the light changes as well dude, then there is no ambiguity as to which lane you are in. I always check to see if it is a hotted import/ute/falcadore before doing that though - the driver might be an aggressive fuckstick with way more acceleration than a 250 is capable of.
              This.

Everytime I get to the lights I check the cars in the front row. So far guys on Magnas have been the most aggresive so I stay away from them, (sit behind them instead of going all the way foward) same goes for skylines, V8 utes and the others.

They are faster than 250´s and often the people inside are dickheads that want to show off. Stay well away from them.

Comment

good advice there

I have nothing productive to add other than I love your avatar. It puts me into a trance everytime I see it.

Thank you
                Ello

Comment

All of the above....

I used to keep an eye on my mirror as I took off, after I'd made sure the cars at the other lights have not decided to run a red, just to know that i'd long past which ever cars I was taking off from. (if that makes sense) - but as said, I had a few tools drag me, and most of them beat me which only made me shit bricks..

Much easier and safer on a big bike, no car driver with half a brain would try drag a big bike.

^^^^ and I second that

Comment

an average 250 isn't going to worry a worked Commodore or Falcon. Best bit is to try and stay clear, or get a feel for the lights so you can get a rolling start coming up to them. You alos gotta watch those fuckers who try to run the red before you take off as well.
                    Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via
                    For The Tenacious, No Road Is Impassable

Comment

Re: split - close call

Is lane splitting against the law? I see a lot of ppl doing it and when i do it, some idiot will try and race me off the lights Hope u guys dun mind me asking this noob question.

Comment

Wheelie.

Or follow the sensible advice posted by Sam or Starfishy.
                        (226): Forecast for tonight is alcohol, low standards and poor decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by SzyCo View Post
                          All of the above....

I used to keep an eye on my mirror as I took off, after I'd made sure the cars at the other lights have not decided to run a red, just to know that i'd long past which ever cars I was taking off from. (if that makes sense) - but as said, I had a few tools drag me, and most of them beat me which only made me shit bricks..

Much easier and safer on a big bike, no car driver with half a brain would try drag a big bike.

^^^^ and I second that
                          Most WA drivers meet that criteria
                          Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via
                          For The Tenacious, No Road Is Impassable

Comment

Originally posted by ecosworth View Post
                            Is lane splitting against the law? I see a lot of ppl doing it and when i do it, some idiot will try and race me off the lights Hope u guys dun mind me asking this noob question.
                            Yes and no.

from the FAQ

Is Lane Splitting Legal?

Melkor and Deej have covered this many times.

Lane splitting is both legal and illegal.

If vehicles are stationary than you can overtake on any side.

If vehicles are moving than you can only overtake on the right hand side of a vehicle in your lane.

If you overtake in the left then it becomes an illegal overtaking manouvere.

You must also indicate whenever changing lanes and give 'sufficient' signal to notify the other road users of your intention.

In no circumstances can you cross the continuous white line on a road. Used to be just at intersections but it is now wherever it is painted ie freeway exits, intersections, sides of the road and painted islands.

You cannot overtake on double continous lines but you can turn right and do uturns.

If your gonna lane split, use common sense, travel a a safe speed and don't cause any interference to other traffic because if you do then the whole process becomes an illegal action.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by xsnoiz View Post
                              Most WA drivers meet that criteria
                              Yes, Yes they do

Comment

Working...
                              X