Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Advise

Hey all PSB members,

New to the site and getting myself a new CBR 1000rr next week and am just wondering how people run there bikes in as i have herd so many different stories. Also is there any recomendations for oils types i.e motul, belray....
    i always used motul 5100 10w-40 in my offroad bikes, will this run in the cbr well. Sorry to me such a noob just dont want to do any damage to my bike once i get it.

All advise and information will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Glenn

get it warn - ride like normal
    "Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Comment

Run it hard, up and down through the gears, change oil + filter after mabye 100km then again after 300km.

As per
      Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power
      http://jupiterstravellers.org

Comment

Hi Glenn

I use 5100 10W-40 in my 08 CBR1000RR. No problems.

Stay clear of any 100% synthetic oil until the motor is at least 6000km old, there have been issues with the 08/09 CBR1000RRs burning oil and purportedly the cause of it can be using 100% synthetic oil while the engine is still running in.

Comment

Originally posted by HotelBushranger View Post
          Run it hard, up and down through the gears, change oil + filter after mabye 100km then again after 300km.

As per
          Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power
          One of the CBR1000RRs used in the Kings meeting (brand new bike) was run hard blah blah and then fucked up epically.

Strongly advise against this technique for this model bike.

Comment

Yep go by the book with the Honda...they can burn a lot of oil. At least if it becomes excessive you can say it was run in properly.

Comment

Hey Nigel cheers for the response, so would it be good to use mineral oil for the first 6000km? whats a good oil to use till then?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie_glenn View Post
                Hey Nigel cheers for the response, so would it be good to use mineral oil for the first 6000km? whats a good oil to use till then?

Cheers
                Ah not sure on this one.. whether to use a mineral or a semi-synthetic for initial run it. I reckon a semi synthetic should be okay...

I got my bike from the auctions so I don't know what was used in it before, but it had 2000km on it and since then I've used 5100. It's at about 5000km now with no dramas and no oil consumption. It's a race bike so it gets thrashed too.

Best bet would be to drop in to Rick Gill's Honda in Osbourne Park and speak to Kev. He knows his stuff like no one else and also races an 08 CBR1000RR, pretty sure he had his since new so he'll know what to put in it.

Comment

I herd they blow smoke if they arnt run in properly.
                  I wud advice you reed up on sum of the honda sights about it, their have been many ppl who easily do 100 mils of oil every thousand kays or so.

Comment

Lol gives me second thoughts on buying the bike with all this talk on burning oil. love the bike so much though

Comment

Working...
                    X