Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well priced Good gear, bad gear. Crash test.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well priced Good gear, bad gear. Crash test.

Last week I had my first stack on the road. Came around a corner where there was sand on the road, back tyre slid round, lined me up at the kerb in the middle of the road, and flicked me off into it. I went head first into the kerb. I was wearing Rivet gloves ($69.95) from Causeway Yamaha, they protected my hands very well, a set of kit bag kevlar jeans ($135) my right knee got a small scratch, very happy. I had a Dririder jacket ($199.95) from Casueway Honda, which I have now decided is a piece of shit, as every protective part moved away between my body and arms, and the road. My helmet was an RJays Striker ($160) In City motorcycles, which handled the head on impact remarkably well. So well in fact that I am going to go and buy another one tomorrow, and cut my old one in half to hang on the wall.

So there is my list of decent budget gear.

Good to hear most of the gear held up. Sounds like the jacket may have been a bit loose fitting? I prefer leather jackets for the reason they can fit a bit tighter and not shift so much. i.e. the elbow pad/armour will stay on the elbow if you come off.
    Originally posted by Abuse this
    Get a load of this pussy, he wouldn't travel back in time to murder a baby.

Comment

What was the speed of the crash?

Good you are alright too .

Comment

Good little review, nice work.

Glad you seem to be ok (as you didn't mention injuries)

That scenario of hitting a corner with sand is one of I'm always worried about, probably inevitable eventually.
        Ello

Comment

there is no substitute for being wrapped in dead cow !!

Comment

Originally posted by ritza View Post
            there is no substitute for being wrapped in dead cow !!
            Except dead kangaroo, for those that can afford it.

Bert
            It's better to be thought stupid than open your mouth and remove all doubt

Pure speed in sixth gear on a 5,000 foot straightaway is one thing, but pure speed in third gear on a gravel-strewn, downhill, ess turn is quite another.
            Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Hmm... not to say dri-rider aren't shit as i haven't crash tested one yet... but if every bit of armor moved, it could well be that the sizing was too big for you.

They're meant to be somewhat tighter than that.

In my accident, i was wearing draggins (small kevlar burn, no worries), a motodry jacket (shredded, but i was un-hurt), and teknic gloves (grazing to the plastic knuckles - minor leather scuffing, but they're still good).

I highsided at about 60 ish, what speed were you doing? Speed does make a fair difference to how well the gear will hold up ...
              “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

just slightly OT, how does faux leather hold up? im presuming pretty shitty?

Comment

^^ i didn't know you guy buy fake leather bike gear?
                  “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

yeah, lots on ebay...quality seems ok, but no idea on how PU leather would hold up

Comment

^^
                      Badly
                      Originally posted by Desmo
                      Why be a cunt about it?

Comment

i assume it would but any links on it would be good?

Comment

Need something that can serve double duty riding to the Court?
                          :hardgay:

One would think that it should still have decent abrasion resistance at city speeds, but would be far more likely to bust seams and tear apart.
                          Insert witty comment here

Comment

^^ this.

leather is all well and good, but its only as good as the stitching holding it together, and this is the difference between a cheap shitty jacket and a decent one. A decent one will be held together with multiple layers of stitching, and the main structural seams will be folded so the stitching is concealed from the surface and protected by leather.

Personally, I wouldn't trust fake leather to be any more abrasion resistant than say... denim.

Comment

or plastic cling wrap.

Comment

Working...
                              X