Stupid Near Miss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Near Miss

I told this story to Retro and he suggested that this might be something for others to learn from.

You often here of riders dying on country roads through speeding and inattention and say "I would never do that". I know I certainly have.

A friend was riding the Toodyay-Goomalling road yesterday for the first time. He was running late to meet family and was travelling along somewhere between 135 and 140 on a cruiser-style bike.

He is a fairly experienced rider with MX and Road Racing experience and over 30 years on and off of riding. He considers himself to be a fairly thoughtful rider who knows the importance of riding within his limits and paying attention.

He was travelling on a straight piece of road heading up to a crest a couple of km's away and looked down at the clock on the dash to see what time it was.
    He then reached down to change the display to the trip meter to see how much further he had to go and started to work out just how late he was going to be. He flicked the display back to the clock and looked up just in time to see he had crested the rise and the road was turning sharply left.

Cruisers don't turn easily and he was on the centreline by now as the road turned and he didn't. There were two cars coming around the bend toward him now. He panicked (probably not the right word but close enough) and reflexively threw out his left leg and wrenched the right handlebar back and down to force the bike to turn left. I think maybe these reactions were probably the result of his motocross background as they aren't "normal" road techniques. He managed to keep the bike pretty much between the double white lines and missed the first car by less than 2ft.
    I think he was lucky that he saw the line first and not the cars and locked onto it rather than fixating on the cars.
    He managed to pull it back into the lane eventually.

It was stupid. Speeding, unfamiliar roads and inattention. At the speed he was going contact with the first car would have left a mangled mess of the bike and a meaty smear across the front and drivers side of the car. It probably would have killed or seriously injured the family in the car if the driver tried to swerve but couldn't completely avoid the oncoming idiot.

Anyway, if this story makes one other person on PSB have a think about the consequences of their riding and avoid the deadly triangle of speed, unfamiliarity and inattention it will be worth it.

For the rest of you, time to do the usual PSB thing and pile on and tell him how stupid he was. I'm sure he will read this.

Hmm, hope he learnt something from the close call...

Concentrate on the road.

Comment

I don't think he would have had that problem on a sportsbike.
      Riding for Cameron Elliott #52
      1985 - 2009

Comment

Sportsbike, Cruiser, Scooter or cage-big lesson here for all to read and remember. Situational awareness is tantamount to safe riding; not only for us riders being aware of what the cages are doing around us, but also what we're doing as well!

Sadly, too often a lesson like this is learned from a hospital visit or worse.

V4-look forward to your mate being around a lot longer after this wake up call!

Comment

what? You can't get inattentive on a sportsbike?

Cheers for the story veefore, something to keep in mind.
          For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
          For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

inattention will kill on any bike>
            sigpic
            “A man also or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with stones: their blood shall be upon them.”

Comment

Originally posted by Veefore View Post
              threw out his left leg and wrenched the right handlebar back and down to force the bike to turn left. I think maybe these reactions were probably the result of his motocross background as they aren't "normal" road techniques.
              This sounds normal countersteering which is the way you should be riding.
              Riding - Living the dream...

Comment

Originally posted by barfridge View Post
                what? You can't get inattentive on a sportsbike?

Cheers for the story veefore, something to keep in mind.
                True, it's just we have heard a similar story a thousand times before, it doesn't change the way i ride but thanks for sharing anyway..
                1985 - 2009

Comment

Originally posted by Yagadan View Post
                  I don't think he would have had that problem on a sportsbike.
                  April 22. Falcore and myself?

I don't know that road so well. (not in the direction I was heading anyway) Was distracted.
                  Oh shit a corner. *cartwheeling bike*
                  - Mike

Comment

Doesn't matter what you're riding, if you're not paying attention to where you're going, you're in for a world of hurt.

Good to hear he's ok, bit of a reminder that it doesn't matter how experienced you are, if you get complacent it can all go pear shaped in a hurry...

140km/h ~ 39 metres per second. something to bear in mind... even looking 100-200m ahead is probably a bit short.... you've got a good chance to hit anything you first notice that is stationary and only 100m or so away

Ditto if you're doing 240 (for example) and coming up behind something doing 100...
                    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

I know the corner and the crest. A very similar thing happened to me there except I was in a Falcon ute @ 140 (welcome to understeer city). Its no problem if you are watching the road

Bert
                      It's better to be thought stupid than open your mouth and remove all doubt

Pure speed in sixth gear on a 5,000 foot straightaway is one thing, but pure speed in third gear on a gravel-strewn, downhill, ess turn is quite another.
                      Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Creme View Post

I don't know that road so well. (not in the direction I was heading anyway) Was distracted.
                        forgot to add /sarcasm/ at the end
                        1985 - 2009

Comment

(226): Forecast for tonight is alcohol, low standards and poor decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Creme View Post

Yeah mate, Yagga's ain't stupid... i don't think he was being serious.
                            FEADCinc, PSB?

Comment

Yeah moorby previous post explains haha.
                              1985 - 2009

Comment

Working...
                              X