Mercury switch on the new Honda's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercury switch on the new Honda's

I spoke to Calvin this morning and he's told me of a little incident he had last night. As most know he was at Wanneroo on Saturday with the 600RR in raceglass. Well he put it back together and went out last night. During his travels the front wheel unknowingly (hehehehe) came up and the bike cut out.

There's a mercury switch in the new 600RR and he actually kinda put it in the wrong way hence the motor has cut out on him whilst vertical.

Just a warning to you all.

Comments anyone??

dont put it back in ..
    Some say he eats sidchrome for breakfast

Some say he only showers on even days of the week

Some say he put an R1 motor in a coffee machine

All we know is he's Hewie.

Comment

Didn't the TLs have a switch that would cut the fuel/ignition if you leant it over too far (like, on it's side)?

Comment

Put the mercury switch as far back on the bike as possible so it doesn't get thrown around.. and if it looks like a spirit level (pencil shape) stick it sideways so the ends face left side of the bike and right,.. or maybe that would cut the engine while going round corners if the g force isn't strong enough?

What hewie said. We haven't needed 'em before and we dont need 'em now
        mmmmm sacrilicious

Comment

yep.. just disconnect the bitch.. that'll solve all your problems
          Right now Im having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think Ive forgotten this before.

Comment

yep.. just disconnect the bitch.. that'll solve all your problems
            what he sed

Comment

why wouldnt you leave the switch in?

isnt it a manufacturers safety mechanism?

it should really be left alone!!!

Comment

True, though not all bikes have em to begin with.

My point, none really, but guess cause it ain't standard on _ALL_ then u can leave it to personal preference?

Though, when u drop the beatch and the wheels are still spinning, u want it to cut out.

Comment

Hey peoples,
                  Have had experience with mercury switches in several different applications, and they are shit. Yes the manafacturer puts them in, usually because some desk jockey thinks its a good idea, but more often than not they die and cause more problem than they are sposed to fix so I think........piss it off. I'll be sure to tell calvin that when I rev him up about the wheelie.
                  Slim.

Comment

Is it really a mercury switch?
                    The reason modern bikes run tip-over cut-out switches is because FI bikes will often happily continue to run while lying on their side and destroy the crank and mains. Usually a carbed bike dies shortly after falling although if the throttle is jammed open they'll often keep running.
                    I've retained mine but taped it to the battery so it can't possibly move but I definately do not want my engine running on it's side.
                    Be safe,
                    Larry.

Comment

You can't take the mercury switch out cause you can't start your bike without it. Just has to be modified a little.

Comment

Murcury Switch

Just to put you in the picture, I have just purchased the CBR600RR to race in next years supersport and to do this I sold my SP-1 road bike. So to make the best of my situation I will use the CBR for every day riding and racing. So I have two sets of fairing / brakets / bolts etc. With the CBR it runs a wiring loom behind the front nose cone and head light unit, so I left the wiring on the outside for quick fairing change over. But unknowing to me this little black box (70mm x 70mm) is some sort of murcury switch.
                        There I was having such a good day , decided to stand it on the back wheel up stock road, and then the engine cuts out and I face plant the front screen. Not happy jan!! :cry:
                        Got home fucked around with the wiring and noted that the engine would cut out if I turning the black box east / west (not north / south). Not knowing what it was I cable tied it to the head light unit running east / west.
                        What a dickhead!!

Comment

I wonder what voltage the thing puts out? Could always hard-wire it's output signal to (probably) +12V DC... though what Larry said will happen, the bike will probably continue to run it if you bin it.

Ausgixxerpilot: Also, the fuel pump would keep running..?

Comment

I wonder what voltage the thing puts out? Could always hard-wire it's output signal to (probably) +12V DC... though what Larry said will happen, the bike will probably continue to run it if you bin it.

Ausgixxerpilot: Also, the fuel pump would keep running..?
                            On the GSXR's you have to solder in a resistor to tell the ECU the switch is open. I think the pump running on is the reason for Superbikes (and Supersport AFAIK) being required to run tip-over cut-out switches.
                            Be safe,
                            Larry

Comment

Working...
                            X