Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing Speed Camera Detectors.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Installing Speed Camera Detectors.

    I was wondering how to install my newly purchased XTR695 (bought cheap from Nick http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...buy-86270/:D); Is it simply a case of running some from wire from the battery terminals and connecting to it detector with a plug sourced to fit?

    *Ps I did search

  • #2
    Originally posted by bobinatcat View Post
    I was wondering how to install my newly purchased XTR695 (bought cheap from Nick http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/f14/update-re-radar-detector-group-buy-86270/); Is it simply a case of running some from wire from the battery terminals and connecting to it detector with a plug sourced to fit?

    *Ps I did search
    I'd be looking for a "switched" wire mate, otherwise you're going to flatten the battery pretty quick. By that I mean a wire - dunno what they are termed on bikes, but an "accessory wire" in a car - that is only live when the ignition is on.
    Dead Man's Hand
    Internationational Porter Protection Group
    Just call me Pat

    Comment


    • #3
      I have it running of a relay just to be safe.

      As for mounting I hve a naked so i cant mount it on a screen so I have used some industrial velcro and attacked it to the top of my Clutch Moaster Cyl. Then its an easy on/off whereever I go.

      Good for over 200kph (on private testing facility )
      You put the c*nt in country run

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Fat Pat View Post
        I'd be looking for a "switched" wire mate, otherwise you're going to flatten the battery pretty quick. By that I mean a wire - dunno what they are termed on bikes, but an "accessory wire" in a car - that is only live when the ignition is on.
        Either that or disconnect it each time...but your method is definitely easier.

        Originally posted by Cbr1k View Post
        I have it running of a relay just to be safe.

        As for mounting I hve a naked so i cant mount it on a screen so I have used some industrial velcro and attacked it to the top of my Clutch Moaster Cyl. Then its an easy on/off whereever I go.

        Good for over 200kph (on private testing facility )
        Excuse my noobness; Clutch Master Cylinder, where/what is that?

        Comment


        • #5
          I am currently putting heated handgrips on the CB400m,,, with the VTR250 CBF250 and XR400 it was quite obvious where to find a spare accessories plug,

          Look around for a spare plug that has been blocked off should be one somewhere

          I asked a dealer for advice and they said they hardly ever install extra electricals so basically I will do what I have done before and just hunt along the wiring harness.

          All else fails as you said you could go straight to the battery for power but like others have said it is easy to forget to turn it off and flatten/ruin your battery

          Where are you anyway, someone might be able to help you solder some nice neat connectors etc if you need

          Comment


          • #6
            Easiest to find a power wire running from your key barrel so that it comes on and off with key power. Pull your tank off and find the wires running off the barrel, then use a multimeter to find one that comes live when the key is turned.

            Tap into that wire in whatever way you see fit, I like to keep the wire in tact, just remove a bit of the rubber and solder new wire onto old, negative can be connected to battery or any part of your vehicle frame(easier option).

            I know the GPX's electrics very well now so can help you out if you like, you can sort out the mounting and I'll help you wire it up. We can even put a fuse in there if you want it.

            Comment


            • #7
              South of River, Leeming.

              i'll have a squiz in the day for spare electrical plugs.

              Bikes run on 12v which is also what the cig lighter/unit in light socket converts to correct?
              Therefore, no need for a mini transformer.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by polony View Post
                Easiest to find a power wire running from your key barrel so that it comes on and off with key power. Pull your tank off and find the wires running off the barrel, then use a multimeter to find one that comes live when the key is turned.

                Tap into that wire in whatever way you see fit, I like to keep the wire in tact, just remove a bit of the rubber and solder new wire onto old, negative can be connected to battery or any part of your vehicle frame(easier option).

                I know the GPX's electrics very well now so can help you out if you like, you can sort out the mounting and I'll help you wire it up. We can even put a fuse in there if you want it.
                Enough knowledge to install HID's also?
                *the standard isn't very effective in badly lit residential streets.
                If so, any chance when I source one, I may pop round to yours, tempt you with some beer or some other offering and do both jobs at once...all the while I learn?

                Comment


                • #9
                  HID's are pretty much plug and play. The wire that plugs into your standard light is the same plug that powers the power supply(ballast) for the HID bulb. Hardest part is finding a place to fit it all. Might not have that problem on a GPX though.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by AWSE View Post
                    HID's are pretty much plug and play. The wire that plugs into your standard light is the same plug that powers the power supply(ballast) for the HID bulb. Hardest part is finding a place to fit it all. Might not have that problem on a GPX though.
                    Because it's a big, beautiful machine

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      No, because there is hardly any engine behind those fairings

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by bobinatcat View Post
                        Enough knowledge to install HID's also?
                        *the standard isn't very effective in badly lit residential streets.
                        If so, any chance when I source one, I may pop round to yours, tempt you with some beer or some other offering and do both jobs at once...all the while I learn?
                        I've never done it but am more than capable, as said earlier they are *almost* a plug and play job. If you manage to source one then I'll pay you to grab me a globe too and we'll do both bikes in one hit.

                        I'll also teach you to replace your bikes fluids, brake pads and adjust chain(assuming you dont already know). These skills will save you a metric fuckton of cash over time.

                        Oh and rereading your earlier post, cig lighter sockets don't convert to 12v, cars electrics are also at 12. No need for a transformer. The only thing that cig lighter plugs employ is a fuse, which I never bother with. I don't know anyone who's blown it for a single acessory in a car or bike. If you're a pedant then we can put one in however.
                        Last edited by polonY; 01-09-2009, 08:59 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by polony View Post
                          Tap into that wire in whatever way you see fit,
                          Is it not better to avoid modifying the wiring harness when you may not have to?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by polony View Post
                            I've never done it but am more than capable
                            Try doing it to your own bike without burning it to the ground, then offer to do other peoples, eh?
                            such comment
                            wow
                            many post

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by polony View Post
                              I've never done it but am more than capable, as said earlier they are *almost* a plug and play job. If you manage to source one then I'll pay you to grab me a globe too and we'll do both bikes in one hit.


                              The only thing that cig lighter plugs employ is a fuse, which I never bother with. I don't know anyone who's blown it for a single acessory in a car or bike. If you're a pedant then we can put one in however.
                              In any vehicle all items except the starter motor have fuses or fusible links...
                              Things DO fail, without a fuse wiring MELTS. the most common fault I have seen is a short in the lighter socket (some are really cheap and crappy).

                              I have insurance....
                              I also have fuses....
                              Polony you are a bad bad bad boy!!!!!
                              Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X