Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drop knobs?

hey all,

just got my R class licence in july, im only 18 hahaha score. i got a cbr 929 anyway ive fitted it with a roo pipe, smaller LED indicators, and just grips, but im lookin at those drop knobs are they worth fitting?'

before the indicators and grips IMO ...

they are called crash sliders or a very common brand OGGY KNOBS is another name.

Comment

whats the actual purpose of them, i know i might be asking a stupid question, but are they for when you stack or just drop it or what?

Comment

they are for anything to do with your bike not being upright. theyre for protection other very expensive parts of your bike.
        A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Comment

so they are a good investment aye?

Comment

Originally posted by Chids View Post
            Och, they're a wee bit handy wor kid.
            Last edited by The Saint; 01-09-2009, 07:46 PM.
            Originally posted by Melkor
            The Saint is all over the answer like a Saint on a cupcake.

Comment

Originally posted by Chids View Post
              you bike will go on its side because of you, whether it be an endo or oil slick etc, these protect your fairings, and other bits

BUY THEM

very useful
              Master of the missed signals

Comment

They will only be useful in a low speed/low impact drop.

If you cock up at a decent clip, nothing is saving your bike... In fact they can sometimes do more damage than good.

I have them and would recommend them, but they aren't going to protect everything... Just be aware

Comment

Originally posted by padfoot View Post

I have them and would recommend them, but they aren't going to protect everything... Just be aware
                  sorta like how safety goggles wont protect you from an arrow to the head
                  Master of the missed signals

Comment

or a kick in the tenders ??
                    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunkent View Post
                      sorta like how safety goggles wont protect you from an arrow to the head
                      You say: "they protect your bike when you drop it... Buy them they are amazing!"

I say: "they protect your bike in a low impact drop, buy them and be aware of their limitations."

I'm letting someone who has no idea about these things the limitations to them.
                      You think it is obvious?
                      Great. You didn't start the thread and ask what the things did.

Comment

I've recently just heard about these things and from my limited understanding there is a frame slider and there is a crash cage. According to Wikipedia a crash cage has better protection over a frame slider. So I would assume a frame slider is one of those rubber peg things that stick out the side of the fairings where as a crash cages are actual metals bars that stick out of them. Does anyone know roughly the price of sliders and cages and maybe where you can get some installed here in Perth? Does it also depend on what bikes they are installed on? Cheers.

This is the reference I found about the sliders and cages.
                        Stunters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                        sigpic

Comment

Then there's these things called sub cages.
                          sigpic

Comment

Sliders aren't rubber mate. They're predominantly delrin or nylon.

Plenty of bike shops sell them and will install them for you. You can also order them for your bike from the manufacturer and install them yourself. Popular makes are Oggy Knobbs distributed by Promoto in Melbourne, R&G (UK) and Motovation (US). You can even get some from Steve at Rated R.

Thread which seems to be on point
                            Last edited by The Saint; 02-09-2009, 12:03 AM.
                            Originally posted by Melkor
                            The Saint is all over the answer like a Saint on a cupcake.

Comment

Cheers for the help. Hmm, after reading some sites it seems there are plenty of disadvantages regarding sliders and cages.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X