04/05 vs 06+ R6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 04/05 vs 06+ R6

Hey i was just wondering if there is a big difference between the 04/05 and the 06+ model, i am just interested in the performance difference between the models. Can a normal ride tell? Thanks
    Posted via Mobile Device

^^ haven't ridden the 04/05 model, but i've ridden an 00 (and an 07 - same as 06). felt a bit bigger, but still plenty quick for a 600.

my bet is that normal rider on perth roads would be just as quick on the earlier model bike (assuming its in good nick and good tyres, etc) - and a shitload more comfortable... suspension is softer, ride position less extreme, etc.

test ride both?
    Last edited by thro; 02-09-2009, 10:39 AM.
    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Thanks thro, havent test ride any yet doing some research 1st Posted via Mobile Device

Comment

I'm pretty sure that the 04/05 is a little less peaky than the newer model R6's too.
        If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

^^ pretty sure any bike released in the past 10 years is less peaky than the 06 R6

(not saying it isn't fun though)
          “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

by peaky, do you mean it likes to rev ?

Comment

very much so

Comment

Originally posted by Pips View Post
                by peaky, do you mean it likes to rev ?
                Yes. Has very little bottom end, but it goes nuts up at 15000rpm.
                If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
                  ^^ pretty sure any bike released in the past 10 years is less peaky than the 06 R6

(not saying it isn't fun though)
                  I think we've forgotten the GPX folks

Comment

No, we havent. The GPX isnt peaky, its just got no power.

Comment

^^ GPX is not peaky at all. it just makes no power at any point in the rev range.

In the rain, the 07 R6 will spin the rear as it comes onto the power band off the line at constant throttle opening (at about 10,000-11,000?).

Hard suspension doesn't help... but that's peaky.

Comment

Originally posted by Semi View Post
                        No, we havent. The GPX isnt peaky, its just got no power.
                        The GPX is extremely peaky, it has relative power between 9-11k rpm, drops off after that and absolutely nothing anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Semi View Post
                          Yes. Has very little bottom end, but it goes nuts up at 15000rpm.
                          does that make it less fun to ride on the street?

does this mean you need to rev it high to launch the bike correctly?

Also i'm coming from a 250 so i'm guessing that even though its peaky it will still be alot faster lower in the rev than my 250

Comment

Originally posted by polony View Post
                            The GPX is extremely peaky, it has relative power between 9-11k rpm, drops off after that and absolutely nothing anywhere else.
                            What bikes have you ridden to compare?

edit:
                            pips: the r6 is fine on the street. the peakiness makes it exciting, but you do need to use the gearbox and let it rev. that said it will make way more power than your 250 even when its out of the power band...

the more relevant thing between the 05 and 06 bikes I would think is the seating position and bar position. the newer R6s are fairly hard core and have probably the most extreme seat and bar position you'll find on a mainstream sports bike. you can get used to it with proper posture, but until you do, either your wrists or back (or both) will hurt a lot more than on the earlier bike. the suspension is quite firm too.

definitely test ride both and see which you prefer. if you want a newer bike and the r6 position is too hard core, try the gsx-r or cbr...

Comment

2003 R6 Reviews
                              2004 R6 Reviews
                              2005 R6 Reviews
                              2006 R6 Reviews
                              2007 R6 Reviews
                              2008 R6 Reviews

Too hard for you?
                              Originally posted by Ferris
                              I love how PSB has turned into "Dear Martha"

Figure shit out yourselves, retards.

Comment