Would like peoples opinion...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would like peoples opinion...

yeah gidday all..as the title says,i would like peoples opinion on the 1988 cbr honda 250 R.....is 4000 a reasonable price with approx; 13,400 Ks on the clock...

cheers ...

lol, 13,400kms...

4k is overpriced, knock a grand off that for starters...
    but as with everything, it depends on condition and such

Comment

there not a bad bike bro k's are pretty good for a 20 year old bike . . . . check if its the original cluster. whats the rest of the bike like ?

From what i remember of them they are pretty fun for a two fiddy

the RR has a few more options like dual brake disks up front and a few other things so maybe go have a look at a few.
      Keep being awesome ^_^

Comment

4 grand will buy a 2006-2007 model 250 that will be infinitely more reliable (which is important, while its broken, you're not riding it and learning).

if you want a 250rr, go for it, but really - they're not THAT much quicker for a noob rider point to point (barring country runs).

you'll still want to get rid of it in 12 months for a big bore.
        “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Teehee, I can see this thread being busy. I paid about that for mine. It needed a couple of consumables replaced shortly after, but I'm still happy with the price, and if I had my time again (still plenty of time for me to write this one off, I guess ), I'd do the same again.

I think the CBR/FZR/ZX-2R/GSXR are the most satisfying 250 to ride (disclaimer, both the RGVs I've ridden have been sick in different ways). If you're more interested in a fast/fun bike than a new bike, go the CBR/I4. If you're more interested in a new/guaranteed* reliable bike, go a 2-6 year old GPX for the same money or less. IMO.

I wouldn't trust the km on the clock (think of the age of the bike). But my 1990 engine is still powering along without any real fuss (plugs gave trouble toward the end of winter).
          Originally posted by -Stevo- View Post
          lol, 13,400kms...

4k is overpriced, knock a grand off that for starters...
          but as with everything, it depends on condition and such
          CBR tax. You'd have to work pretty hard to get a CBR for $3k. I'd say go an FZR/ZXR, but then the reliability argument actually has a bit more play, because parts aren't going to be as common (though advice online probably still should).
          Last edited by Wilson; 04-09-2009, 01:17 PM.
          Insert witty comment here

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
            4 grand will buy a 2006-2007 model 250 that will be infinitely more reliable (which is important, while its broken, you're not riding it and learning).

if you want a 250rr, go for it, but really - they're not THAT much quicker for a noob rider point to point (barring country runs).

you'll still want to get rid of it in 12 months for a big bore.
            Bollocks. Yeah, more likely to be reliable. You take a chance with an old bike. But those 250 screamers have a reputation for lasting a long time. My brother used to have a CBR that he treated like shit. He owned the thing for 2-3 years, and never lubed the chain, never checked the oil... basically, just fuelled it up and rode it. It didn't die until he whacked something with it.

Mine needed a carby clean and some new plugs (because the old ones were fouled up from running rich), and some consumables. The longest it was off the road was a half week or something. Everything else was a lunchtime swapover.

Seen the rust on the forks of a lot of the 2002-06 era bikes? I have. Hondas, Kawasakis. My 20 year old CBR has a couple of specks on the forks. How's that for resale value?

Say what you will, but the I4s are a more satisfying ride, in the same way that your 600 now is a better ride than your old 250 (just on a much smaller order of magnitude). Yes, it's not the only factor, but it's what makes it a worthwhile weighing of the scales, in my opinion, rather than just saying 'buy the new bike because it's new'.
            Last edited by Wilson; 04-09-2009, 01:37 PM.

Comment

13k ON A 20yr Old Bike,

I've only had my CB1300 for a year and I've done 25k.

Yes $4k is too much.
              You put the c*nt in country run

Comment

Originally posted by Rebel View Post
                yeah gidday all..as the title says,i would like peoples opinion on the 1988 cbr honda 250 R.....is 4000 a reasonable price with approx; 13,400 Ks on the clock...

cheers ...
                CBR250's are over priced, but they still sell well, so the high price is reinforced...

I don't think its a reasonable price, but it is what they seem to sell for.
                The real value in the market is what someone is prepared to pay.

20 years old and 13,400 k's is more than sus, but if its what you wan't then get it inspected first.

Ummm buy a GPX ^_^
                Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

Comment

4k is okay if the bike is in good condition. Can always hit them down a bit too if things need replacing in the near future.

As much as the CBR's are overpriced you have to live with a 250 for a year and the inline four's are alot more fun than gpx's, zzr's ect.
                  Riding for Cameron Elliott #52
                  1985 - 2009

Comment

,i would like peoples opinion on the 1988 cbr honda 250 R.....is 4000 a reasonable price with approx; 13,400 Ks on the clock..
                    Nah.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilson View Post
                      Bollocks. Yeah, more likely to be reliable. You take a chance with an old bike. But those 250 screamers have a reputation for lasting a long time.
                      Have you noticed how many threads on PSB are about "help - problem with my old bike" There are threads about "I bought an old screamer and spent thousands in only a few months"
                      A long time is still finite, each year the older bike will be prone to fail more.
                      On a 20 year old bike you WILL get problems over a 12 month period.
                      With a 4 year old bike you MAY get problems over a 12 month period.

If you are prepared, problems are not usually world ending....
                      I ride an older bike, but my hobbies include maintenance and repair as well as riding.

Comment

yeah. there are very few of them, and a few were the result of poor maintenence. Aside from the occasional carb balance, things rarely go wrong with a cbr250. I challeng you to find me more than a handful of major CBR issue threads.
                        If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

Put all your money on black.

If you win, buy a new ninja. If you lose, pretend you bought a cbr250r
                          Originally posted by Ferris
                          I love how PSB has turned into "Dear Martha"

Figure shit out yourselves, retards.

Comment

Originally posted by darkfibre View Post
                            Have you noticed how many threads on PSB are about "help - problem with my old bike" There are threads about "I bought an old screamer and spent thousands in only a few months"
                            A long time is still finite, each year the older bike will be prone to fail more.
                            On a 20 year old bike you WILL get problems over a 12 month period.
                            With a 4 year old bike you MAY get problems over a 12 month period.

If you are prepared, problems are not usually world ending....
                            I ride an older bike, but my hobbies include maintenance and repair as well as riding.
                            Aye, as you say, they're usually not world ending. I've seen 1 "my engine blew up", and the rest were various little things like carbies, fork seals, carbies, carbies, and one guy's fuel pump.

I realise that's more often than a new bike will theoretically need repairs, but for what they cost/take up vs what the bike gives you in return... I'd definitely do the same again. Hell, I think it's entirely up to him what he gets, but I just thought I'd post a positive viewpoint because I figured the thread would be the usual list of haters. People want different things, but the advice usually only swings one way, and in this case, I think unfairly.

Heh... fwiw, I'd almost buy a CBR/FZR even if they were a 2pot, just for the ride position. ^_^

Comment

So you would say that an 1988 CBR250 is more relaible than a 2005 VTR250 ?

Comment

Working...
                              X