my new toy...tyre question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my new toy...tyre question

Ok found a pretty good deal, locally of all places.
    2001/02 (first reg in sept 02) CBR600 f4i. Spotless, 16,000kms, service history. Howler pipe with oggys ^_^...cost me 7k
    The only niggle is the tyres. The front tyre is new (shinko), the rear was bought 2nd hand from the last service- it is also a shinko that has done 1 track day. Subtle strip wear, very very minor, middle is very clean. The tread pattern is different on the front to the back. My question is, just how bad are shinkos. I know they are stock on hyo's and get a bad rap. Is it worth ditching them for some pilot powers when funds permit?
    Big thanks to D'art for checking the yammie in joondy before commiting to this bike. He took pics and all, very much appreciated.
    Also big thanks to Yagadan for non-biased yammy advice, Satan and Thro for the knowledge and expertise, and massive thanks to Desmo for the guidance with the whole process and putting up with my indicisiveness.

Anyway heres a pic of the new toy.

im curious too, my zx-7r came with shinkos, he reckons theyre of a much better quality / compound than the stock on the hyos, but theyre no pilot powers or anything like that.

they cant be too bad theyd been scrubbed in close to the edges, but safe to say hes a far more skilled rider than i am

but some advice would be great.

Comment

Get some pilots.
      PSB Roller - http://soundcloud.com/talon

Comment

To be fair, even a sport touring tyre offers more grip than most road riders are going to use. I've never used them, and I probably never will but weather it's racing or supermoto I won't use anything other than a DOT race tyre.
        EXPERIENCE: noun: Knowledge or skill derived from actual participation or direct contact rather than mere study, interest, or internet.

Comment

shinkos are crap imho

had one on the zx12 for about 600k's. after that decided to do a burnout an get a new one
          Every one has a story.....

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...updates-82338/

Comment

Tread pattern is usually different front to rear, they have different widths, profiles and angles so they need a different tread pattern to maximise grip and water expulsion.
            How bad are they? I wouldn't know as I've never used them but that's not to say I would trust them. (cue 300 hyosung riders telling me I'm wrong).
            I'd get a set of 2CTs on there as soon as I could afford them, they are a great road tyre.
            And congrats on the bike, nice score.

Comment

I agree, 2ct's have the same edge compound as powers, with a harder centre compound. They grip like mad and last 7,000ks too. They're a great year round tyre and good enough for a medium paced trackday.

Comment

How OLD are these rim protectors?
                3+ years, = new ones.
                16000kms in 7 years.

Comment

congrats on the bike mate

Comment

Very nice bike dude..you made a good choice.

As for the tyres, i'd suggest you just get a feel for them...after some time on the new bike you'll figure out how good/bad they are then make your decision. If they are shit you have a good excuse to do a burnout
                    Riding for Cameron Elliott #52
                    1985 - 2009

Comment

Originally posted by Jamathi View Post
                      3+ years, = new ones.
                      16000kms in 7 years.
                      This sounds like pretty sound advice.
                      They could be amazing-super grippy-can ride at a 70 degree angle in the rain tyres but if they are shagged then they need replacing.

I'd probably replace them for piece of mind if it were me.

Comment

Replace as funds permit, sweet looking f4i

Comment

Can't advise on tires, but can say very very nice ride :-)
                          Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamathi View Post
                            3+ years, = new ones.
                            16000kms in 7 years.
                            Sound advice, but it's always nice when people read the original post.

Originally posted by Revelations View Post
                            The front tyre is new (shinko), the rear was bought 2nd hand from the last service- it is also a shinko that has done 1 track day.
                            If you want to put up with them for a while, then you can double check the age of the rear. As far as I know, bike tyres should have a 4 digit number on them somewhere which corresponds to the final 2 digits of the year of manufacture, and the week (i.e. out of 52) of that year they were made in.

However, I would ask yourself why the original owner of the rear tyre ditched it after one trackday...
                            Last edited by House; 08-09-2009, 10:32 AM.

Comment

They recently did a write up on Shinko's in AMCN. Wotton has fitted them to his old RC30, so they can't be that bad. You are best to just keep them and when it is time replace tyres, make up your own mind.
                              Can you help with foster care?
                              http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...needed-163289/

Comment

Working...
                              X