Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

L plates - yes or no

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • L plates - yes or no

    Hi Guys

    Could someone please clarify for me..... If someone has their 250 licence and are being shadowed on a bigger bike do they need to display their L plates?

    I learnt to ride in NSW and therefore am not 100% on the WA rules yet.

    Cheers

    Caroline

  • #2
    Yes, as you don't hold a R class license.

    Comment


    • #3
      Cheers for that

      Comment


      • #4
        Caroline, you will also need to obtain an R class learners permit. You can obtain the permit any time after getting your R-E class (250cc), but you can't sit the R class assessment until you have had your R-E class licence for 12 months.

        It's explained in this brochure, in easy terms: Dept of Transport - Licensing - Getting A Motorcycle Licence
        https://parodieslost.blog/

        Comment


        • #5
          Front and rear??

          not really anywhere on the front ( maybe a stupid question) but I'd rather know now
          Last edited by onrails; 08-09-2009, 05:31 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            You dont need a learners permit until you actually go and book for the test.
            National driver licence scheme
            And that page explains about L plates too.
            Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

            Comment


            • #7
              You only need a rear plate.
              You automatically get a WA R class learner's permit when you acquire your WA R-E class license.
              You still need to book a test for your R class after one year of riding on your R-E class.

              In your case, I'd go into the DPI (the website is shit and misleading) and get your R class learners sorted out that way.
              It costs about $75, but you get a free practical examination.
              c o o l s t o r y b r o

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Princess Deb View Post
                Caroline, you will also need to obtain an R class learners permit. You can obtain the permit any time after getting your R-E class (250cc), but you can't sit the R class assessment until you have had your R-E class licence for 12 months.

                It's explained in this brochure, in easy terms: Dept of Transport - Licensing - Getting A Motorcycle Licence
                That brochure is old as time itself...

                Now the R-E license counts as your R leaners so as long as you have a R-E license you are a R learner.

                However you need the R leaners to book a test as the money goes towards the test (70$).

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by darkfibre View Post
                  You dont need a learners permit until you actually go and book for the test.
                  National driver licence scheme
                  And that page explains about L plates too.
                  Are you sure that's correct? You only require the L permits when booking for your test? Is that a new rule or something? Didn't you have to wait 6months after getting your permits to sit your test?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thanks for all the info guys but I actually have my full licence. I was just asking beacause I was shadowing for one of the guys down this way this arvo.

                    Good to get out for a spin on probably the only dry day for the next week

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Speedster View Post
                      Are you sure that's correct? You only require the L permits when booking for your test? Is that a new rule or something? Didn't you have to wait 6months after getting your permits to sit your test?

                      Correct and clear on the website
                      Very new rule.... the riding instructors seem to know too.
                      Interesting as an Automatic licenced person can drive a manual if there is a manual passenger, and they put on L plates lol
                      Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Just out of curiosity...

                        If I'm an R-E, tootling along on my big bike with my shadow in tow, and my L plate 'falls off', who gets bent over by the friendly constablitory? a)Me, b)My shadow, or c)Both of us? What's the law?

                        This is a hypothetical, no flamage required!
                        Last edited by AL3X:J3TT; 13-10-2009, 03:18 PM.
                        Earth first. We'll screw up the other planets later.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I read that you need to display L plates both front and rear. I do it on both because I'd rather have an extra plate and less reason for a cop to look further into my bike and sticker me for the mods.
                          [Y]

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by AL3X:J3TT View Post
                            Just out of curiosity...

                            If I'm an R-E, tootling along on my big bike with my shadow in tow, and my L plate 'falls off', who gets bent over by the friendly constablitory? a)Me, b)My shadow, or c)Both of us? What's the law?

                            This is a hypothetical, no flamage required!
                            Same as your P plates I believe, $50 fine

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I thought there was point(s) for missing plates too? It is in other states.
                              [Y]

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X