2011 r6....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 r6....

I'll be the first to admit I'm a bit of a fan of the R6. I own and race one, and absolutely love the style of it. Some people like it, some don't. The same with every bike.

Obviously economic times have meant that new bike development has been slowed some-what, as it seems there isn't going to be a new model for 2010, just a minor touch-up of the '08-'09 model......

2011 however.......

New 2011 Yamaha R6 will be Rossi MotoGP bike clone - | Motorbike reviews | Latest Bike Videos | MCN

Yamaha will be introducing a new R6 for 2011 which will be an exact replica of Valentino Rossi’s MotoGP bike and feature some of the most advanced technology ever seen on a supersport bike.

According to Yamaha factory insiders the firm is already well on the way to finishing the bike in preparation for final endurance testing before we will get to see it at the end of 2010."
    Once the new issue of MCN comes out, I'm sure further word will be spread around the global electronic medium for everyone else to see as if they heard the news first
    Sponsored by:

Billetta Imports, Motorcycle Panel & Paint, Pirelli, YAMALUBE

Wuuuuuuut!!!!!!!

So it is also going to have uneven firing, motogp frame/swingarm and other bits?

Well it does shake things up a bit.

Comment

Its also going to be 800cc.

More seriously, I'm guessing they're going to "do a honda" and make the chassis, suspension geometry, etc based on the motogp bike, like honda did with the 600RR back in 2003.

I seriously doubt you'll have the carbon brakes, etc to make it an EXACT REPLICA

Doubt they'd bother with the cross plane crank, as 600s don't have problems putting power down out of corners, but who knows.
      “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Well, they do need to drop some nice technology to make it interesting no just a look-a-like bike...

I wouldn't expect... high end items = ohlins, monoblock or ceramic brakes or anything, but maybe traction control, frame design and other bits like that, just a better plataform to start with?

Comment

^^ i'd be expecting perhaps traction control, maybe special steering geometry, different swingarm design (maybe, not big on the new m1 features), etc.

maybe they'll go cross-plane just for the noise, too...
          “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

oh .... just what I was saying in my edit .

BTW if they have the cross plane all sussed out on the R1.. it wouldn't be too dificult to make a r6 crossplane would it? just for the wank factor and V8 lovers.

Comment

I imagine it'll be mostly electronics - Traction Control, etc. You have to remember that there is technology on the current R6 that is banned in MotoGP (variable length inlet tracts) so a pure MotoGP copy would step back in some respects.

Comment

Originally posted by Xuaxace View Post
                BTW if they have the cross plane all sussed out on the R1.. it wouldn't be too dificult to make a r6 crossplane would it? just for the wank factor and V8 lovers.

Presumably not.

The stories of poor life out of 09 R1 cranks, etc doesn't fill me with confidence in it revving to 16,000rpm or whatever the r6 tach indicates these days though

Be *easy* to make it cross plane. Making it durable could be trickier. The GP bikes only need to last 1 race / 1 season... road bike needs to be a little more long lived....

keen to see it though.. 2010/2011 is probably about when i'll be bike shopping... eye on the 750 at the moment, but i won't rule the r6 out yet

Comment

Maybe more adjustable suspension geometry for racers to tinker with, along with electronics.
                  Riding - Living the dream...

Comment

MMMMMM R6. I'm guessing when they say exact replica they mean looks wise. Cross plane crank? Would be cool and I'd buy one regardless. I'm thinking that they're going to put a lot more into the forks/suspension etc. Maybe go seperate rebound and compression like on the new R1.

Comment

uh huh. The problem with making a fully race setup bike is that it will be rubish on the streets. In the US, only 5% of sportbike riders take their bike to a track. It's clear that every production sportbike will be a compromise that can be adapted for the track.

The current R6 is a great track bike, no doubt. But to say that they are going to prodice a motogp clone is just classic Yamaha advertizing statements. Anyone remember the 17,000RPM rev limit of the 06R6 and the 180bhp of the R1?

If they are actually going to produce a full blown racebike than it will have to be very limited and just sell enough to qualify to race production classes. HRC already offer this with the 600RR basic racer. It's a 600RR with kit motor, shock, forks, brakes etc. And it's insanely priced.
                      EXPERIENCE: noun: Knowledge or skill derived from actual participation or direct contact rather than mere study, interest, or internet.

Comment

Already been reported that it wont be a cross plane crank. There is no point in a 600.
                        I think MCN are just letting the Yamaha marketing team write the stories for them this week.
                        Can you help with foster care?
                        http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...needed-163289/

Comment

mm, ive heard that the 2011 cbr will be like the rc212v as well...?

Originally posted by ApatheticEnd View Post
                          uh huh. The problem with making a fully race setup bike is that it will be rubish on the streets.

If they are actually going to produce a full blown racebike than it will have to be very limited and just sell enough to qualify to race production classes. HRC already offer this with the 600RR basic racer. It's a 600RR with kit motor, shock, forks, brakes etc. And it's insanely priced.
                          when kawasaki first released there supersport bikes, the did a zx636, and a zx6rr. they were deffinatley different bikes, and similar costs i think.

maybe yamaha could (they wont, but they should) do two versions.

or would every one just buy "the fast one". without considering its abilities on the road...
                          The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Comment

^^ marketing sells bikes.

Whether or not its a good street bike or not plenty of people will buy it (and live with the compromises - particularly current R6 riders who are used to it ) because its "exactly like rossi's bike" due to marketing shit like this. as you implied, buying the soft one doesn't give you the bragging rights.

I'm sure it will be "moto gp inspired" or whatever, but as stated, good race bike = shitty road bike. otherwise you wouldn't see people tweaking their road bikes for track use.

regardless... i'll be sure to check it out when its out compromises are part of a bike's charm - just because it may be flawed for your intended usage, doesn't mean its not fun.

Comment

Hmm...... that will be just about right timing too
                              Some say he eats sidchrome for breakfast

Some say he only showers on even days of the week

Some say he put an R1 motor in a coffee machine

All we know is he's Hewie.

Comment

Working...
                              X