Speed Triple Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed Triple Issues

Hey guys and girls, im currently having some starting issues with my bike . Basically shes a bitch to start in the morning when its cold. I thought it may have been a battery issue because as soon as i have a vehicle hooked up it kicks over instantly, so yesterday afternoon i forked out the dollars for a high ampage battery and a trickle charger (for when im away). This morning i get up and....above and fucking behold it still wont start. Im open to all ideas or sugestions as too what could be wrong with it. Ocasionally (very infrequent) it hasnt started even after it has been run for over an hour.

Cheers

lo1ux
    sigpic
    Its so small

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...e_view&id=9156

Originally posted by lo1ux View Post
    Hey guys and girls, im currently having some starting issues with my bike . Basically shes a bitch to start in the morning when its cold. I thought it may have been a battery issue because as soon as i have a vehicle hooked up it kicks over instantly, so yesterday afternoon i forked out the dollars for a high ampage battery and a trickle charger (for when im away). This morning i get up and....above and fucking behold it still wont start. Im open to all ideas or sugestions as too what could be wrong with it. Ocasionally (very infrequent) it hasnt started even after it has been run for over an hour.

Cheers

lo1ux

alternator? Starter motor? Take it to an auto sparky to test the outputs on both of them.

Comment

jsut had a quick pull apart of the bike then.....it seems the teeth on the starter have started to strip again. it happened nearlt 11000kms ago and i replaced all the running gear on that side ie spragg clutch and what not. can anyone shed any light as to why this is happening. ive already got another starter in order and will probally have to take this one into JCs or the like to get it looked at and see if they can sort out why its doing what its doing. this is really starting to piss me off.
      sigpic
      Its so small

Comment

It is possible that you starter is not disengauging after you let go of the button, I'm not familar withthe setup on the trumpy's but if its like most inline bikes it will have a seperate starter relay, I'd cheak the connections and perhaps look at chucking a new one at it if it isn't stupid money a starter relay with pitted/worn contacts will also not counduct electricity as well and hinder starting. Some bikes recently had a single press start ie you press the start button once the ecu will keep the motor turning until it fires. If yours is one of these might be worth looking to see if there are any factory updated maps for you ECU as well as the connections for the ECU. Might also be worth having a look in the switch block for a build up of grime causeing something to short out or stick.
        Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Alex, are you saying that it wont turn over at all, ie. press button and just get a click, or does it turn over fine but just wont fire?

Comment

Re: Speed Triple Issues

Rob, it turns over and I believe it fires but disengages after a short while and then won't start. As soon you put a car battery on it kicks over and starts instantly. But having just pulled the starter cover off it is obvious there us damage to the starter pinion and now need to figure out why this is happening. It makes me a sad panda....
            sigpic
            Its so small

Comment

Ouch, have you searched to see if it's a typical triumph problem? Is it firing on all four? (ducks for flying spanner) hope it's an easy fix.

Comment

^^^ speed triple only got 3 me thinks

to many wheelies heheh

Comment

Not sure about the starting issue but it could relate to the damage to the starter motor gear. If a bike set up is similar to a car starter then if there isnt enough charge the lil gear that shoots out and engages the flywheel to turn motor over cant retract fast enough and gets clipped by the flywheel as the motor turns over and can damage the gear.
                  Mayb when u park the bike up next evening check the voltage across the battery with a multimeter both bike running and off. Then in the mornin before tryin to start bike do the same test again and check battery voltage.
                  If ur voltage has dropped then something on the bike is drainin the battery, start checking relays and earths.
                  If when bike is runnin the battery voltage hasnt increased from 12v then u have a problem with the charging system.
                  B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

Ignition coil? the extra amps from the car battery may be helping the failing coil.

Also as said by a few others check the main earth to the bike frame, I myself have had similar issue on my duke.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMike View Post

Not sure about the starting issue but it could relate to the damage to the starter motor gear. If a bike set up is similar to a car starter then if there isnt enough charge the lil gear that shoots out and engages the flywheel to turn motor over cant retract fast enough and gets clipped by the flywheel as the motor turns over and can damage the gear.
                      Mayb when u park the bike up next evening check the voltage across the battery with a multimeter both bike running and off. Then in the mornin before tryin to start bike do the same test again and check battery voltage.
                      If ur voltage has dropped then something on the bike is drainin the battery, start checking relays and earths.
                      If when bike is runnin the battery voltage hasnt increased from 12v then u have a problem with the charging system.
                      had the bike on full charge over night, and same problem occuired, also had a new battery and same thing.
                      sigpic
                      Its so small

Comment

Originally posted by elcarter View Post
                        Ignition coil? the extra amps from the car battery may be helping the failing coil.

Also as said by a few others check the main earth to the bike frame, I myself have had similar issue on my duke.
                        this i hadnt thought of.....cheers
                        sigpic
                        Its so small

Comment

Working...
                        X