new vfr1200 will have dual clutch gbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new vfr1200 will have dual clutch gbox

Honda to launch first-ever dual clutch gearbox for motorcycles with new VFR — Autoblog

will be interesting to see what it feels like
    Last edited by BennyT; 09-09-2009, 09:37 AM.
    There is no more time, even for cake. For you, the cake is over. You have reached the end of cake.

Sounds like what you won't get to see what it feels like, fully auto. To compete withthe FJR or something similar, be intresting to see what gains are go out of it as most motorcycle gearboxes are sequential anyway. With cars there were significant gains because thier gearboxes weren't sequential, odd they havn't tried it on thier cars yet.
    Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyT View Post
      new vtr1200 will have dual clutch gbox

Honda to launch first-ever dual clutch gearbox for motorcycles with new VFR — Autoblog[/url]

will be interesting to see what it feels like
      damm it! dont excite me like that. i thought honada was trying to beat ducati at there own game...again. (ala sp1)

and agreed, dual clutch on a bike? wouldnt cars be chirping tyres with these. what would a bike do, except maybe kick the front end up??
      The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Comment

sorry bout that

its got 3 settings so you could mess around with it a bit and see if it makes any difference
        There is no more time, even for cake. For you, the cake is over. You have reached the end of cake.

Comment

Been floating around in cars for a while - DSG in VW, PDK in Porsche, the gearbox in the new GTR, Ferrari, Maserati etc etc. Won't chirp the wheels, computer controls the clutch slip on each gear rail for engagement.
          Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via
          For The Tenacious, No Road Is Impassable

Comment

Oh man that would be great. No missed shifts. No 'wrong gear' for the corner etc.

Pity its on the VFR and not the CBR

Comment

Originally posted by megaphat View Post
              Oh man that would be great. No missed shifts. No 'wrong gear' for the corner etc.

Pity its on the VFR and not the CBR
              how exactly?? the clutch isnt what gets u i the wrong gear, if u dont push the selector far enough, u still wont get gear...

and it'd be to heavy for the cbr.
              The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Comment

Because it's a pre selector gearbox.

Comment

From here:- DSG and twin-clutch transmissions - What the DSG / twin clutch transmission is - how the DSG /twin clutch transmission works

The twin-clutch transmission was designed to eliminate the lag inherent in SMTs and manuals. The twin-clutch transmission is essentially two separate transmissions with a pair of clutches between them. One transmission (or gearbox) provides odd-numbered speeds (ie first, third and fifth gear), the other provides even-numbered speeds (second, fourth and sixth). When the car starts out, the "odd" gearbox is in first gear and the "even" gearbox is in second gear. The clutch engages the odd gearbox and the car starts out in first gear. When it's time to change gears, the transmission simply uses the clutches to switch from the odd gearbox to the even gearbox, for a near-instant change to second gear. The odd gearbox immediately pre-selects third gear. At the next change the transmission swaps gearboxes again, engaging third gear, and the even gearbox pre-selects fourth gear. The twin-clutch transmission's computerized controller calculates the next likely gearchange based on speed and driver behavoior and has the "idle" gearbox pre-select that gear.

One advantage to both SMTs and twin-clutch/DSG transmissions is the ability to perform matched-rev downshifts. When a driver selects a lower gear, both types of transmission disengage the clutch(es) and rev the engine to the exact speed required by the selected gear. Not only does this make for a smoother downshift, but in the case of the twin-clutch transmission, it allows plenty of time for the proper gear to be pre-selected. Most (though not all) twin-clutch transmissions can skip gears when downshifting, i.e. shifting from 6th gear directly down to 3rd gear -- and because of their ability to match revs, they can do so without the lurching or surging typical of traditional automatic and manual transmissions
                  Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via
                  For The Tenacious, No Road Is Impassable

Comment

Fuck yeah. When can I pre-order one

Must be time for a pay rise boss.
                    You put the c*nt in country run

Comment

auto =

Comment

DSG = interesting.

Basically you're riding along in first with one clutch engaging drive, while second gear is already preselected and the second clutch is disengaged.

Makes gear changes much faster, and you probably won't need to dip throttle (because it's already in gear) at all.

Doesn't have to be an "auto" box at all, just sequential - which bikes (unlike cages) already are...

on cages, the DSG option can be worth about a half a second or more in 0-60mph time, compared to the regular manual box - with the same engine/power output...

edit:
                        as to cars.. honda don't make any sporty cars any more. new civic type R? lol. integra = dead, nsx = dead... S2000 = either dead or not far off (no update for AGES). no, the only new style box i'd expect in honda cars for some time is CVT...
                        “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Full auto sounds great on that sort of bike.

Oh hai Honda, you can haz my monies.

Comment

Dual Clutch & Semi Auto Trans [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLhx4cQq1sA&feature=player_embedded"]UTube Video of Dual Clutch Trans[/ame]
                            Don't like the idea of the bar mounted shifter but the semi auto mode would be OK not needing the clutch and just using the foot shifter

Looks like it would make shifting smoother and quicker, not sure how it would go on a pure sports bike though
                            #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                            Originally posted by Phildo
                            Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                            Originally posted by filbert
                            i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                            Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by Para045 View Post
                              Looks like it would make shifting smoother and quicker, not sure how it would go on a pure sports bike though
                              Come down to a weight issue I think would the gains justify two clutches and a extra shaft in the gearbox over a normal slipper clutch. Haven't heard of the motogp boys jumping on this one although the specs of the current race machine are usually a bit secret squirrel.
                              Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Working...
                              X