Upgrading from RE, bike decisions, decisions, decisions :P

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading from RE, bike decisions, decisions, decisions :P

As per the thread title, I am upgrading from RE to R not this thursday but next, and was looking for a bike and I have a few decisions to make which the community might be able to help me with.

The bike choice is basically should I go second hand or brand new.

I have a gpx which I am trying to flog off now for about $4500, and I should have 3 grand by the end of the week that I could put on the top of it, so my budget is around $7000-$7500. I was wondering peoples opinions on if I should use that money and buy a second hand outright or should I use that as a deposit on new bike.

The bike I am looking at now is a 98-99 r6 for $7000, (if its not there then it depends on what they have, I was looking at the causeway shops and fell in love with it).

As for the new bike section of the question I was considering either a cbr600 or a cbr1000 (the 1000 is only $1000 more than the 600 so getting a loan shouldn't be any more of a hassle)

... discuss
    Originally posted by browncow
    Sometimes, I see you post, and I understand what all the individual words mean, but I have no idea what you're actually saying.

SAve a bit more $7k for a bike that old is way too much

Check out the For Sale section and the Quokka for cheaper options for a bike that old

Comment

hey mate I'm not sure on your age but spending the 7K might be better for your first R because then you can just get 3rd party fire and theft instead of comprehensive.
      My point is that if your young and you buy a brand new thou or 600 it is gonna cost you an arm and a leg to insure comprehensively.

Edit:
      Congrats on getting off your R's, and next thursday is a good day for me too, i get my licence back lol

Comment

Yeah thats what I was considering, Im 23, I think the second hand market would be a good idea from the insurance stand point, but then again a brand new bike has its perks also.
        Sometimes, I see you post, and I understand what all the individual words mean, but I have no idea what you're actually saying.

Comment

I wouldnt go new at your age. Have you looked at insurance quotes? Scary.

Unless you can afford to fix it in the event of an accident, I PERSONALLY believe you need full comp. No-one expects to crash and you could be well out of pocket without insurance.

Even if it isn't your fault you can be up for the costs, as I am now. Glad I got full comp.

Any reason you need a new bike?
          Ive never seen the point in it unless youre cashed up. Lose ALOT in depreciation for not much gain.
          Originally posted by Amac
          suck me on the hat you mole fucker, steroid affected me cock

Comment

Originally posted by Stoneville View Post
            SAve a bit more $7k for a bike that old is way too much

Check out the For Sale section and the Quokka for cheaper options for a bike that old
            So your vote is for a second hand market being the better option?
            Last edited by malenko; 09-09-2009, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Melchior View Post
              I wouldnt go new at your age. Have you looked at insurance quotes? Scary.

Unless you can afford to fix it in the event of an accident, I PERSONALLY believe you need full comp. No-one expects to crash and you could be well out of pocket without insurance.

Even if it isn't your fault you can be up for the costs, as I am now. Glad I got full comp.

Any reason you need a new bike?
              Ive never seen the point in it unless youre cashed up. Lose ALOT in depreciation for not much gain.
              Yeah well thats the thing, I dont NEED a new bike, but the warranty is always nice if something happens mechanically, and I also know that a previous owner didnt neglect it and it only looks nice from a fresh coat of paint, also as a new bike with a loan I will need to have full comprehensive, I wont have a choice.

And thats the perks of the second hand market, I only really need 3rd party, fire and theft insurance.

But yeah I am hella excited about it and I would like another view point to prompt me to think sensibly rather than just going ooo its pretty I want it .

Comment

Some one as trying to sell a trumpy 955 for about 7k that would probally good buying as stoney said 7k for a first gen R6 is pretty rich, Have you checked out what insurance is going to flog you for the bigger machines? Have you considered a semi naked or naked eg FZ6 (much cheaper to insure crash etc etc), have you done much test riding to see what floats your boat?
                Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Havent done test rides yet, but make no mistake I am going to make sure the feel of the bike suits me first before settling my mind on it. Just wondering opinions on which market I should really be looking into.

I am leaning heavily onto the second hand side though. I would rather a fully faired bike but a I wouldnt say no to a well priced naked etc. Atm its a toss up between the super sport flagships of each company really, so the ninjas, cbr's the yamaha r1/6 etc.

Comment

Yeh mate, i would go used aswell... insurance for a new thou at your age would be close to 2k a year i would imagine...

And for 5-7k you can get yourself a sweet 600 (which would still be a HUGE step up from your 250), learn to ride it, then in a couple years time when you have a better no claim bonus you can get the new thou... the less money you have to spend on shit like insurance the more you can spend on bling for your bike...
                    Bones heal, chicks dig scars, pain is temporary, but glory lasts forever.

afterall, a bit of pain never hurt anyone!

Comment

Originally posted by chrisso View Post
                      the less money you have to spend on shit like insurance the more you can spend on bling for your bike...
                      ... I am sold on the 2nd hand market haha

I just cant wait to move my bike along to some one else and get my R class license too

Comment

There's a lot of love for the ZX-7R around here, and they're very well priced.

Comment

Jamathis ZX7R for $4500 if i recall.

He knows his mechanics so i have no doubt it's in good condition. It looks great and does wheelies with ease. I'd look at that if i was in your position.
                          Riding for Cameron Elliott #52
                          1985 - 2009

Comment

Yeah, as soon as I sell my 250 and I have the cash to splurge the first place I am gonna look is the psb for sale section

Comment

I'm 25 with no crashes or liscence loss in the last 5yrs on a full license. Ducati 848 full comp cheapest I can get is 1,7800 a year. Qbe wanted 3,200 lol.

I've seen some decent old thumpers out there going around the 5k mark that would knock your socks off. Bar any exp mech issues and 3rd party insurance should have a blast.

Comment

Working...
                              X