Motorbiking Asia Holiday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorbiking Asia Holiday

Hey guys I have decided for my next holiday I want to do a motorcycle tour through Asia or somewhere... Originally I was thinking about Vietnam or Thailand but after some more research I’m swinging towards Mongolia. Has anyone done ether and had any info / experiences to share?

I like this topic but have no advice to offer :/

Comment

My wife (Lolly on the forum) and my sister have just done such a tour in Vietnam. They're back next week and will no doubt post up lots of pics and info. Stay tuned.

Here is a sneak preview emailed by my sister:

We have just arrived in Sapa which is high up in the mountains and that's the end of our motorbike tour We both feel a little sad as we had SO much fun!!!!!

Yesterday was crazy, we did 180km's on the last day in the end (instead of 200) as the roads were, well, not roads!! We estimated that we did approx 50km's of complete off road riding, really rocky, muddy etc... It was exhilarating, my god! I've gone from zero to hero in terms of motorcycle riding to the extreme! Well i think so anyway

The scenery is soooooooo beautiful, so mountainous. It looks like an asian version of what the swiss alps must be like. Not snow capped but thick with vegetation, misty because of the clouds, gosh you would love it. We have taken lots of good photos, some of them are like what you would see in a National Geographic magazione. The ethnic minorities around these regions are still like they were 100 yrs ago. It's like we've gone back in time, except for all the mod cons that you see.

Some funny things have happened, one was my bike got stuck on a big rock on one side and a big truck on the other! The truck literally brushed me as it squeezed past! The other is that a local worker (on the acsent up the mountain passe this morning) jumped on the back of my bike so that I could give him a lift to Sapa! I misunderstood him, I thought he was just saying hello and commenting on my bike so I shook my head "yes" meanwhile looking ahead and seeing our guide with [Lolly] waving at me to quickly move on. Next thing I quickly try to ride away but my bike felt so heavy and I turn around and he's sitting comfortably behind me looking rather grateful!! I ended up yelling "get him off, get him off" and he (and his wife who was watching the whole thing) got the picture in the end and he got off. I still feel a bit guilty as i'm sure he was a nice man. Oh well....

I have to say i feel so proud of myself as even in the off road riding I never once fell off the bike or had an accident (I did almost ride off the edge into a ravine because of the thick mud but that wasn't a big deal!) so thats pretty awesome if I say so myself!!!

What fun this holiday is!

We'll update you again soon. xxxx ps i now ride like a Vietnamese so I will never pass my test now!
      "Live Long and Prosper"

Bayswater Martial Arts and Yoga Centre

Comment

I will follow this thread with interest as hitting the Thai roads is on my to do list for next year.
        Can you help with foster care?
        http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...needed-163289/

Comment

[QUOTE=Spock;1578600]My wife (Lolly on the forum) and my sister have just done such a tour in Vietnam. They're back next week and will no doubt post up lots of pics and info. Stay tuned.

If you dont mind me asking how long was the tour, were did it go and how much? (i see a lot of price varations) they seem alot more expensive if booked from australia

sounds like they are having a great time!
          Last edited by Batten; 10-09-2009, 11:54 AM.

Comment

[quote=Calibur;1578611]
            Originally posted by Spock View Post
            My wife (Lolly on the forum) and my sister have just done such a tour in Vietnam. They're back next week and will no doubt post up lots of pics and info. Stay tuned.

If you dont mind me asking how long was the tour, were did it go and how much? (i see a lot of price varations) they seem alot more expensive if booked from australia

sounds like they are having a great time!
            It's best if she answers that when she gets back. The tour was more than just a 5 day (I think) m/c holiday. They also did 2 days trekking, a bit of sightseeing and will spend a few days on a houseboat.
            "Live Long and Prosper"

Bayswater Martial Arts and Yoga Centre

Comment

i have decided to go with a 6 day vietnam tour with voyagevietnam
              Explore Northeast Vietnam on a motorcycle, homestay in hilltribe (ethnic) family
              its 555usd if its just mygirlfriend and i or even cheaper if we go with a group. has anyone used these guys or had experiance with them?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Calibur View Post
                i have decided to go with a 6 day vietnam tour with voyagevietnam
                Explore Northeast Vietnam on a motorcycle, homestay in hilltribe (ethnic) family
                its 555usd if its just mygirlfriend and i or even cheaper if we go with a group. has anyone used these guys or had experiance with them?

Cheers
                That sounds awesome dude how much will that and airfares be I got to do this
                Master of the missed signals

Comment

To Vietnam = Snot expensive currently fares are so so........

For example Air ASIA Via KL - Departing 2 Nov returning 15 Nov 09 (just as an example)
                  Perth KL return = $297 AUD - before seat upgrades, meals etc
                  KL to Hanoi Return = $252 AUD - before seat upgrades, meals etc

Comment

A few of the riders I met over there just rented a bike from a rental shop and did their own route, got some decent maps and had some fun.

Can hire a Baja 250 for about $20/day over there...

They were doing a month long tour of Vietnam and Laos, was awesome.

Comment

These look awesome, and just a little different. Royal Enfield motorcycles, newly built - not the 50+ year old ones - in and around the Himalaya.....sounds ace.

Royal Enfield Bike Tours in India.

Freespirit Adventure Royal Enfield Motorcycle Tours In India Nepal Tibet
                      Dead Man's Hand
                      Internationational Porter Protection Group
                      Just call me Pat

Comment

Originally posted by Calibur View Post
                        Hey guys I have decided for my next holiday I want to do a motorcycle tour through Asia or somewhere... Originally I was thinking about Vietnam or Thailand but after some more research I’m swinging towards Mongolia. Has anyone done ether and had any info / experiences to share?
                        Vietnam - been there and hated it. I wouldn't go on a motorcycling holiday there even if I could go on Stoner's GP09 with Miss Vietnam on the back.

Thailand - not a bad idea. I went on vacation to Hua Hin a few years ago and rented a DT125. Good times. Pretty cheap when you're there too.

Mongolia - I've been to Ulan Bator on business and am struggling to see the attraction of it personally. It's ridiculously expensive to get to, nobody speaks a word of English (usually only atrocious Russian and their own incomprehensible moon language) and it's very primitive. If you have an accident more than 2km from the only hospital in the country you will die. For the same money you could bike round Italy and Spain, have the time of your life and not be eating horses' tits for your dinner every night.
                        Last edited by magwitch; 17-09-2009, 03:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by magwitch View Post
                          Mongolia - I've been to Ulan Bator on business and am struggling to see the attraction of it personally. It's ridiculously expensive to get to, nobody speaks a word of English (usually only atrocious Russian and their own incomprehensible moon language) and it's very primitive. If you have an accident more than 2km from the only hospital in the country you will die.
                          Sounds like my kind of trip.

I've been thinking about doing Central Asia at some point. There's a company called SilkOffRoad that looks pretty good.

SilkOffRoad: motorcycle tours in Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3jdlDxgR7Y]YouTube - Kazakhstan Motorcycle Offroad Touring Central-Asia silkroad[/ame]

Anybody want to come with?

Comment

bumping...

Anyone have any advice on weather is better to pay the extra price and book the tour from here, or to try find one for cheaper when i get there?

i dont know whats a better option and dont want to miss out

Comment

Great idea for a holiday, I'd be interested to see how you get on as I was thinking of doing something similar next year. I've done a short m/c tour of NW Cambodia but that was through work so I didn't have to organise all that much.

It'll probably be easier to organise as much as possible in advance from here, even if it costs a bit more - just for the piece of mind. At least that way, you'll be able to relax and enjoy your time over there instead of running around trying to organise it on the hoof.

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on.

Comment

Working...
                              X