X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to motard or notard

ok

so

i went to the bike show today, and i usually just go for a looksie, .... BUT! i layed eyes upon the motards, and i have to say, they do look fun.

as most of u know ive had the 750 for a few years now, and i do like it, although im getting a lil sick n tired of not being able to go offroad and explore and also the attention, and also, a few other things that are annoying..

now i do like my bike and want to keep it. but, the thing is, i have seen these motards and my plan if i was to get one is to have the street trim, but have a spare couple dirt wheels and tyres spare so i can swap all the time...

anyway, the point im getting at, is, what is peoples opinions on these? and id prefer opinions from people that ride them please..

i did see the suzuki drz400 which was pretty cool. but i have no idea about them.

i will be test riding as many as i can in the next couple of weeks..

thanks for your input...

My mate has a DRZ400 motarded with the big bore kit, I think it makes it a 480. If you like motards, get one. They are fun and different to ride

Comment

yeah true, you know how much a bore kit costs?

i dunno yet, havent ridden one ever.... is my plan in the coming weeks

Comment

Hi Jackerz

The DRZ400 has a very... modest power delivery, and you'll spend big money chasing decent horsepower. They are cheap, well made and reliable as... just boring as batshit.

On the other hand - a KTM (i had a 525EXC) or other grunty Euro is going to boogie right from the showroom. Add a pipe/filter/tune and you have all the power you need.

For crazy fun, i hear good things about the Aprilia (apart from crap rebuild intervals).

I'd go Euro and get quality suspension and brakes along with a stonking engine. Just be prepared to drop license points everywhere 'cause they're all wheelie monsters.

S.
        Chuck Norris is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Indian.

Comment

I dont know what the big bore kit costed, he bought it like that.

Mccullochs will know, the bike my mate has used to belong to one of the apprentices there

Comment

If I ever bought a 2nd bike to go with my super sports(1st love) bike it would be a motard for sure. Does that help you at all?

Comment

Aprilia.

Comment

Take a few for a ride before you decide.
                There's a fairly big difference across the range starting from fairly conservative bikes to some feral monsters. Something like the DRX or XTX delivers a bit more smoothness and comfort whereas the SXV and EXC conversions are more of a go hard or go home deal...comfort, and mileage aren't part of the package.
                -JC-

Comment

Originally posted by Sprint View Post
                  Hi Jackerz

The DRZ400 has a very... modest power delivery, and you'll spend big money chasing decent horsepower. They are cheap, well made and reliable as... just boring as batshit.

On the other hand - a KTM (i had a 525EXC) or other grunty Euro is going to boogie right from the showroom. Add a pipe/filter/tune and you have all the power you need.

For crazy fun, i hear good things about the Aprilia (apart from crap rebuild intervals).

I'd go Euro and get quality suspension and brakes along with a stonking engine. Just be prepared to drop license points everywhere 'cause they're all wheelie monsters.

S.
                  WHS....

The DRZ is a great commuter or learner bike with 5000km service intervals but it's a snoozer to ride. SM isn't about practicality at all. It's about having the most fun in the shortest amout of time. I'll let you ride mine some time if you want. The SXV is a snarling beast. 3rd gear roll ons with no bounce.

"No through road" means nothing on a motard. There is always curbs to jump, pedestrian overpasses to ride, the hooliganism never stops. You learn to choose your times vey carefully. I do so much dumb shit on this bike..... it's awesome.

Try and ride a few. You'll never go back to faired sportbikes for the street.
                  EXPERIENCE: noun: Knowledge or skill derived from actual participation or direct contact rather than mere study, interest, or internet.

Comment

haha yeah, well thats the plan, is to be able to be free and also have a few spare dirty wheels with tyres on them already for quick change overs....

my mate has the ktm 525 exc i think it is? with a big bore kit and suspension and a few other things... i think to 580?

and he says that it is mental....

but yeah, just trying to get some opinions on them, and what is around, so i know what to go in and test ride... i dont want something boring, so i guess that throws the drz out of the picture..

cheers everyone for that...

also, ive searched most motards that i can find, but if anyone knows most motards off the top of their head, could you please post a list in here

thanks

Comment

hmmm the sxv 550 does look very nice... but buggered if i can find one in wa to test ride...

ah well, the hunt is on

Comment

Rick Gills been the sole Aprilia dealer would be about the only one likely to have a demo. I'd caution against ending up with one as your only bike in other states with proper twisties this would be feasible but in WA the road riding isn't suited to it. Talking to he KTM guy the 690 has sensible service intervals (6000kms) and comes across as a slightly more everyday friendly bike still with plenty of stomp.
                        Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Rick Gill has several new and used SXVs in right now.
                          EXPERIENCE: noun: Knowledge or skill derived from actual participation or direct contact rather than mere study, interest, or internet.

Comment

I'll give you the tip Jack...

If you want a bike that is off road and motard it will cost $$$...

And it will never be quite as good as a dedicated motard...

The suspension is too high...

I've done the new KTM530exc to motard conversion and it cost a little less than $20k...

New Aprilia SXV550 cost me $13500 and is way better on road...

Buy a dedicated motard and a cheap dirty....

Edit...

I probably am being a bit harsh on the dirt/motard conversion...

My first motard was a KTM525exc that someone had already done motard converson to...

It came with the dirt wheels aswell...

I did swap it back to a dirty at times and it was a handy way to have two bikes...

The brakes will be the first thing you notice as not being good enough when used as a motard...

Go for it and find one...

You won't regret it...
                            Last edited by Rich...; 12-09-2009, 09:33 AM.

Comment

cheers rich

yeah like i was saying a mate back in vic has the ktm and he bought it with the bore kit and all the suspension etc done an he loves it.

ill test ride some and see how i go... so far its the sxv 550 takes my likings but its hard obviously because i havent test ridden any yet.

my main focus is i want to be able to have fun on the road, but i also want to take it away on the trailer when i go camping etc etc and be able to stuff around in the bush..

id say 80% road... i was thinking of just buying a cheap dirty.. but i want to see if its possible to just have the one bike and 2 sets of wheels..

might pop in to gillies soon then

Comment

Working...
                              X