chain lubrication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chain lubrication

Does any one here use an auto chain lubrication system or does everyone clean and lube by hand every few tanks or 600kms?
    Originally posted by browncow
    Sometimes, I see you post, and I understand what all the individual words mean, but I have no idea what you're actually saying.

Just do it by hand, it's not that hard.
    Riding - Living the dream...

Comment

i use spray lube and spend the next few rides after cleaning my rear rim from lube fling. i usually do it everytime i go "oh shit haven't lubed the chain in a while".
      Need a website designer? PM me for a quote.
      Here are some sites I've done recently - Velocity Race Team | Business Insurance | West Perth Insurance Broker | Labour Hire | Final Trim Operators

Comment

Yeah but when your a daily rider 600km comes up real fast, would rather spend my time riding rather than constantly lubing the chain
        Sometimes, I see you post, and I understand what all the individual words mean, but I have no idea what you're actually saying.

Comment

Buy yourself a Kettenmax to save yourself cleaning it with a toothbrush, like a sucker.
          Spray some lube on the chain about every 2nd tank of fuel, and clean the chain every 2nd time you lube it.
          FTP

Comment

Yeah I am liking the sound of that kettenmax gadget I will be getting it when I upgrade my bike in a week or two.

But yeah I was just curious if anyone used the auto ones and what they think of them.

Comment

The auto ones are only really worth it if you're covering serious kilometres, like if you were doing some long distance touring.
              Stick with spray lube from a can, and kero to clean it.
              FTP

Comment

IIRC, PatB is a strong advocate of the Scott Oiler setup (apologies if I've got the wrong member there).
                Originally posted by Amac
                suck me on the hat you mole fucker, steroid affected me cock

Comment

oil mine every 300 k's never cleaned it , thats a road bike of course

Comment

Most of the time grabbing the chain with a rag and give the wheel a spin (race stand needed) a few times, is enough to get most of the crap off the chain and then give it a lube up from a spray can, i used Castrol spray but it's fucking messy shit and flings off everywhere so with my new chain now i have gone back to the white Bel-Ray stuff, much cleaner. Maybe once a month do a kero clean that way you have the best of both worlds!

Comment

Chain wax - no mess, do it once a week

Come wash time if chain is full of crap from a weeks riding, wipe with kero soaked rag, spray the rear sprocket lightly with degreaser, continue washing bike, then respray chain with chain wax when finished, best if done when bike is on the stand, never have any fly off onto rims, been doing this for years and don't have any trouble.

If chain is relatively clean give it a spray when you get back from a long run.

Have purchased Kettenmax and it's been consigned to the rear of the cupboard, to much freaking messing around IMHO
                      Last edited by Stoneville; 12-09-2009, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Ah ok, it seems that every one is doing the same as me atm, quick lube everytank and once a month give it a bit of a kero bath. The auto oilers must not be worth it if hardly any one uses them.

Comment

Well with steel sprockets and a good quality chain I have seen good chain life without cleaning at all...

Regular lube and correct adjustment will be fine if you are lazy like me...

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
                            Well with steel sprockets and a good quality chain I have seen good chain life without cleaning at all...

Regular lube and correct adjustment will be fine if you are lazy like me...

+1
                            Im with Rich....

Comment

Scottoiler auto luber on my bike and it rocks, love it.

Comment

Working...
                              X