Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do you ride a New bike?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • how do you ride a New bike?

    How fast are you meant to go on a new bike? And how many ks does it take to be considered as worn in.

    Or safe to screaming down the race tracks and roads. And I won’t be damaging the bike's engine

    come on guys heaps people are telling me different things, I really need your help! please
    Last edited by Slowe Rider; 18-09-2009, 05:10 PM.

  • #2
    Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power is an interesting read, not too sure on the credability, but the members here should be able to fill you in
    Originally posted by browncow
    Sometimes, I see you post, and I understand what all the individual words mean, but I have no idea what you're actually saying.

    Comment


    • #3
      thank you very much! legend!

      Comment


      • #4
        Your dealer should recommend how to run in a new bike when you purchase from them. If not then thats who I would be asking.
        MSN: pinkygirl_999 at hotmail dot com

        Can't you tell that this is all just a contest,
        The one that wins will be the one that hits the hardest!

        Comment


        • #5
          WOT!

          lc
          Insert witty comment here

          Comment


          • #6
            I ride mine firmly. without pinging it off the limiter until atleast first oil change or more.
            yes, i am ignorant
            yes, i am a prick
            no, i don't care
            you make me sick

            Comment


            • #7
              i dont know, i trust people here more than dealers......someone of them dont even ride, wtf

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by malenko View Post
                Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power is an interesting read, not too sure on the credability, but the members here should be able to fill you in
                Read this, take in all the information and act on it.

                Originally posted by Amanda View Post
                Your dealer should recommend how to run in a new bike when you purchase from them. If not then thats who I would be asking.
                No.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Any one know if any bike shops here will break the engine in on a dyno for you? obviously there will be a price involved but that would seem to be the best way to do it.
                  Originally posted by browncow
                  Sometimes, I see you post, and I understand what all the individual words mean, but I have no idea what you're actually saying.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Pretty much anyone with a Dyno should be able to do it.
                    Best way if you want to do it properly.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by malenko View Post
                      Any one know if any bike shops here will break the engine in on a dyno for you? obviously there will be a price involved but that would seem to be the best way to do it.
                      Wouldn't breaking a bike in involves more than just breaking in the engine? You'd want to break-in all aspects of the bike (tyres/brakes/suspension/headlight fluid etc) which may not be achievable on just a dyno? Also breaking in a bike is a good experience, you can feel the bike change as you ride it...

                      Edit: for just the engine I'm guessing the dyno's the way to go, no mucking about with traffic and pesky lights etc
                      Last edited by Murley; 18-09-2009, 05:54 PM. Reason: yarrrr
                      Originally posted by Koola
                      Someone sig this.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I reckon the people that made the bike know best, so I follow the instructions in the handbook. If "break in secrets" really worked, everyone would be recommending it including the manufacturer.
                        -

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Nah, see the thing is in the olden days, the manufacturing tolerances were shithouse, the castings had burrs and imperfections and they were somewhat unreliable.
                          The reason for a run in procedure and babying the motor (no swayze) was to wear off all those burrs and dags and get everything loosened up to a state where everything was clean in the engine. Doing a run in also would hopefuly prevent some nasty failures due to these dags.
                          As manufacturing and machining got better, the need to wear off these imperfections lessened to the stage we are at now.
                          Modern motors are high performance, high compression engines, and the primary goal of a run in is to make sure the rings seal against the bores correctly to prevent blow-by and glazing. This is done by running the engine up pretty hard under load, forcing the rings out into the bores.
                          But if manufacturers condoned this practice, they would have a thousand lawsuits from born again bikers on litrebikes writing themselves off as they WOT everywhere.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Amanda View Post
                            Your dealer should recommend how to run in a new bike when you purchase from them. If not then thats who I would be asking.
                            I don't think thats the best idea. My dealer didn't even ride bikes :mellow:

                            Originally posted by agird View Post
                            I reckon the people that made the bike know best, so I follow the instructions in the handbook. If "break in secrets" really worked, everyone would be recommending it including the manufacturer.
                            My handbook said dont go over 6k revs or some shit. I call bullshit but i've only broken in one engine.

                            I just rode it how i'd usually ride it, a bit more agressive even.

                            Originally posted by Desmogod View Post
                            Modern motors are high performance, high compression engines, and the primary goal of a run in is to make sure the rings seal against the bores correctly to prevent blow-by and glazing. This is done by running the engine up pretty hard under load, forcing the rings out into the bores.
                            But if manufacturers condoned this practice, they would have a thousand lawsuits from born again bikers on litrebikes writing themselves off as they WOT everywhere.
                            This is what I read also. Apparently it happens on the bikes first ride, rendering the next 1000km's pretty useless when it comes to 'breaking in the engine'??

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by agird View Post
                              I reckon the people that made the bike know best, so I follow the instructions in the handbook. If "break in secrets" really worked, everyone would be recommending it including the manufacturer.
                              I'm in two minds about this. I kinda agree with you, but imagine the legal hurt the manufacturers would have to deal with after recommending that people ride their obscenely powerful bikes at WOT to break them in. The amount of accidents and resultant legal suits would be overwhelming.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X