Off to Kalbarri, via Lancelin? advice on roads please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off to Kalbarri, via Lancelin? advice on roads please

K and I are off to Kalbarri next week, loose agenda is Wednesday ride to Kalbarri, chill there Thursday, ride to Dalwallinu Friday, overnight there, ride somewhere else with a TV and a bed for Saturday (grand final day), ride home Sunday.

Now working out the stops on the way to Kalbarri.

I am looking at the possibility of Lancelin for a morning tea stop on the way, but wondering how the roads are that cut across from Lancelin to the Brand Highway, looks OK on Google maps, but has anyone ridden them?

Then Eneabba looks good (if we can get across from Lancelin), then Geraldton and finally Kalbarri.

Cheers if you can help
    Grae
    Come back Jeremy, it was only a joke.

edit - they've sealed that one now. go for it. KW to Sappers to Orange Springs Rd.
    Dont forget New Norcia as an option
    Last edited by delete_me_kthxbai; 19-09-2009, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Yeah, thought that, but been up that way a few times, so looking for a different route, closer to the coast as far as possible. Distance doesn't really matter, especially if we can find little used roads, just a matter of whether they are good enough for the Hyo and a GPX 250.

And coming back inland to get to Dalwallinu.
      Last edited by thegraeman; 19-09-2009, 09:36 PM. Reason: oops

Comment

You could always go this way

Australian travel maps, street directory, driving directions & aerial photographs - Whereis.com

Comment

I am looking at the possibility of Lancelin for a morning tea stop on the way, but wondering how the roads are that cut across from Lancelin to the Brand Highway, looks OK on Google maps, but has anyone ridden them? end quote

Rode this way today and the road is tar seal with a few pot holes from the wet weather and quite a bit of patching. Not a problem at the speed limit or there abouts.

We rode up the Brand then cut across to Lancelin and back down to Wanneroo.

We stayed in Kalbarri a couple of months ago and found Finlays for dinner one night. Worth it just for the atmosphere.

Sing For Your Supper In Kalbarri - Tourism Western Australia

Hope this helps

Graelin
          Last edited by Graelin; 20-09-2009, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Speedtrip, thats a definite possibility, might even do Lancelin, then Cervantes, got all day to get there.

Graelin, thanks for the feedback, almost definitely go that way then. Have to see if Finlays is open. Don't think the school holidays start til Friday arvo though, and the link says its open school holidays.

Comment

Here's another way, with a Lancelin stop.
              These roads are pretty good

Australian travel maps, street directory, driving directions & aerial photographs - Whereis.com

Comment

I kant help .. best advice I can offer is ....

beee carefy Ride safe and have awesomeness along the way. Lancelin is very purty

Comment

if the weather is fine that should be a top trip

Comment

I hope that you enjoy this ride, getting out there on a bike is magic and the old hotels are for me enjoyable to photograph and stay in. This is probably longer than you are aiming at but food for thought for another time.

Earlier this year did Dalwalinu via Yalgoo for the night.

Passed through Mt Magnet

and then Dalwalinu for Lunch.

Graelin

Comment

Was possibly thinking somewhere like Wikepin for Saturday, anyone stayed at the pub there?

Der, footy grand final on Saturday, going to stay in Northam so we can be there in time for kick off.
                      Last edited by thegraeman; 20-09-2009, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Right, so we are looking Coogee - Lancelin - Cervantes - Jurien Bay -Geraldton - Kalbarri.

Two nights in Kalbarri.

Kalbarri - Yalgoo for lunch (nope, dirt road) - Dalwallinu (pretty free form here, see where the roads go).

Then Dalwallinu to Northam for the footy and the night, cruise home Sunday morning.
                        Last edited by thegraeman; 20-09-2009, 04:14 PM. Reason: Avoiding dirt roads!

Comment

Time wise we left Yalgoo at 6.30 am and got into Dalwalinu at around 1130 am.

Graelin

Ps I had never seen so much wild life around the road edges between Yalgoo and Mt Magnet early in the morning so take care. I choose to fit roo shoos only five dollars and whether they work or not I dont need to debate I just try to improve my chances.

Saw cattle, herds of goats, sheep, eagles, emus.
                          Last edited by Graelin; 20-09-2009, 10:43 AM. Reason: added wild life look out

Comment

Working...
                          X