Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does it feel like when your forks are "Bottoming out"

Hey

Just trying to sort out a problem with my bike and i want to tick this off the list. can anyone please explain to me what it feels like when the front forks are bottoming out.

I am running aftermarket forks which have both damper and rebound adjustment, they have not been setup.

Also does "bottoming out" only occur under hard braking?

thanks pips

Bottoming out refers to the shock having no travel left. Which in the front means you have to be hard on the brakes to cause this to happen.
    If you don't know how far your forks are compressing, you can place a cable tie on the shock shaft and see how far it gets pressed down the shaft when you jump on the brakes.
    Riding - Living the dream...

Comment

Originally posted by rc_sam View Post
      Bottoming out refers to the shock having no travel left. Which in the front means you have to be hard on the brakes to cause this to happen.
      If you don't know how far your forks are compressing, you can place a cable tie on the shock shaft and see how far it gets pressed down the shaft when you jump on the brakes.
      thanks rc_sam

the problem i am having is under hard braking (front end shuddering). i will give the cable tie trick a go and see how hard to goes down

edit: similar problem to this topic http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru.../2#post1199477

Originally posted by ApatheticEnd View Post
      There are a lot of things that can cause this. As mentioned, proper setup (sag, spring weights, damping), shit tires, warped disk (not usually visible), or wheel alignment.

People often forget to do this when re-installing a front wheel. Put the wheel back on, axle in but don't tighten. Do everything up hand tight and put the front wheel on the ground. Push down on the clip ons and bounce the front end a few times. Then tighten your axle, then repeat, then tighten your pinch bolts from the furthest to closest to the axle bolt.

That is the only thing that may sort it out that is free. Just try to eliminate one thing at a time. You definetely need to have the correct spring rates in or you will never be able to go fast.

Comment

clunk clunk if they are actually bottoming out, shuddering sounds like worn headstock bearings?

Comment

Yep, clunk, clunk. Or, in the case of my CBR900... BANG. You will know when they hit. Mine feel fine for general riding, but will bottom out going up kerbs at anything faster than running speed, and really smack hard if I dont throttle hard coming down off a wheelie.

Off to Marty Moose me thinks.
          It has a dual purpose. ~ Tom Smitheringale

Comment

My old 750 when it was setup really soft used to hit bumpstop with a pillion. I never knew until I setup a zip tie. No bang, no crunch no nothing, just really shit 'feeling'/lack of response.

Comment

Originally posted by Pips View Post
              Hey

Just trying to sort out a problem with my bike and i want to tick this off the list. can anyone please explain to me what it feels like when the front forks are bottoming out.

I am running aftermarket forks which have both damper and rebound adjustment, they have not been setup.

thanks pips
              if they havent been set up yet, might be worth seeing either of the Russell's (Russell Farrow at Allect Services or Russell Speak at Dynotime - Allect is SoR, Dynotime is NoR). chances are, there will be a decent wait time (especially since this weekend and next weekend have MCRC and HRMC rounds)

under what kind of riding are your forks bottoming out? is it at a track day or under regular riding on the road?

if it's a track day, fair enough. braking from a little under 200-ish to around 90-ish for tip-in into turn 7 will give your front end a workout. a quick fix is to add a little more fluid (use the same fluid - same weight, same brand if you can), but the reality is that it will only give you a very temporary quick fix. ultimately, the set up will need to get checked out and adjusted accordingly (see the suspension pic at the bottom - i found it on the RGV250 forums, it may be here - i dont know. but either way, i found it really, really good when starting off with a clean slate and having nothing experience-wise to work from)

if it is on the road, damn... either your fork setup is in desperate need of attention or you do a lot more emergency stops than i had to
              Attached Files
              Originally posted by Pkunk
              It is a SCIENTIFIC FACT that all blondes with good bodies look 80000000000000000000000x without blonde hair

Comment

thanks pips
                No, go hard through a corner will also compress the suspension..

Comment

bare in mind that some bikes have raised stops at the bottom so the cable tie is about a 1cm from the bottom it's probably hit the stops. also dont' do the cable tie up too tight, just tight enough that it wont' fall down.
                  Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by T_B R1 View Post
                    bare in mind that some bikes have raised stops at the bottom so the cable tie is about a 1cm from the bottom it's probably hit the stops. also dont' do the cable tie up too tight, just tight enough that it wont' fall down.
                    A bit of greasesmeared around the fork will quickly show you the level too.

I had the chatter problem under braking a couple of race meets ago and it turned out one of my fork damper units had packed up. You can check by taking the springs out and pushing the fork leg up and down by hand and you will soon feel if you are missing damping on either compression or rebound.
                    [SIGPIC]Accredited Motorcycling Australia Road Racing Coach Level1 TRAKDAYZ

Comment

When they bottom out, you'l feel it...

Ever had a bicycle with suspention on it, and you are just bouncing on it or pushing down on it to try and make them go down so far that they wont go any further. That's it.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael/ View Post
                        When they bottom out, you'l feel it...
                        Well I don't know what it feels like when my forks bottom out if you ask me.

Do you have a bike and have experimented that?

Comment

go see Marty Moose ... If he's still charging his standard $50 its the best 50 you'll ever spend.

Just drop him a PM.

Comment

Hey

can anyone please explain to me what it feels like when the front forks are bottoming out.

thanks pips
                            Like warm apple pie... no............. hold on
                            B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

yup, and the education ya get is free

Originally posted by Viper View Post
                              go see Marty Moose ... If he's still charging his standard $50 its the best 50 you'll ever spend.

Just drop him a PM.
                              .. and thats Racer # 193 to y'all; my fabulous sponsors (who all do good shit) are: Graeme Fleming IT Consultants, Vision Image, Pacific Safety Wear, Excess Power Equipment, Pro Photo Booth

.. and according to Sean'o: 'get the Kwaka (never thought i would say that!)'

Comment

Working...
                              X