Left hand lane, left side lane filtering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left hand lane, left side lane filtering

Hi guys, I couldn't really find a thread that answered this for me so here goes. Today just before noon as I was driving along Scarb Beach Rd coming up to a set of Red lights at Hutton St I noticed a Repsol CBR. A little like THIS one.
    I thought to myself thats a responsile looking rider as he/she had on a bright orange hi-vis vest thingy on on a nice bike. And then all of a sudden the rider suddenly swerved from the right side of the left lane left.

As I came up closer to the lights I was looking to see where the rider was, only to see the rider filtering down on the lefthand side of the cages in that lane.

So my question to the wonderful folks of PSB, is this ok? Legal? Good idea? Or none of the above?
    And if anyone was wondering, the conditions seemed to be good, sunny day, traffic not moving.

Not legal, and I don't do it. Just seems like asking for someone to turn without indicating. You'd get fucked up and be at fault. I like filtering but only do it when there is room and I know the light will still be red when I get to the front. i try to do it slowly and try not to piss off too many people.

All we need is for some bluehairs to make it ther new mission and there will be a crackdown on a generally overlooked violation. For now i consider it a luxury (well, I consider it a saftey issue but that is for another thread) to be able to filter.
    EXPERIENCE: noun: Knowledge or skill derived from actual participation or direct contact rather than mere study, interest, or internet.

Comment

Illegal and stupid.

Comment

Available for circumspect use in filtering in a very limited number of situations... including a left turn at the lights you are filtering to when there is no filter lane...

Comment

Don't reall consider legalities when splitting/filtering anyway.
          Have done it in the past, will do so again.
          Not the best choice (unless you have to) because it puts you up against the kerb, taking away a few escape options

Comment

it is not illegal, it is okay to over take a stationary vehicle on the left otherwise you would not be able to filter down the left side of the right hand lane either

Comment

your generally better off sticking in the rhs of a lane to allow the driver to see you in their mirror, but depends on the situation. if the traffic was stationary i dont see an issue with it.

i've seen guys split past moving traffic on the rhs of cars turning in a left turning lane and then cut in front and turn left too.
              Need a website designer? PM me for a quote.
              Here are some sites I've done recently - Velocity Race Team | Business Insurance | West Perth Insurance Broker | Labour Hire | Final Trim Operators

Comment

Perth Street Bikes - FAQ: Some PSB Lore

Is Lane Splitting Legal?

Melkor and Deej have covered this many times.

Lane splitting is both legal and illegal.

If vehicles are stationary than you can overtake on any side.

If vehicles are moving than you can only overtake on the right hand side of a vehicle in your lane.

If you overtake in the left then it becomes an illegal overtaking manouvere.

You must also indicate whenever changing lanes and give 'sufficient' signal to notify the other road users of your intention.

In no circumstances can you cross the continuous white line on a road. Used to be just at intersections but it is now wherever it is painted ie freeway exits, intersections, sides of the road and painted islands.

You cannot overtake on double continous lines but you can turn right and do uturns.

If your gonna lane split, use common sense, travel a a safe speed and don't cause any interference to other traffic because if you do then the whole process becomes an illegal action.
                2006 Yamaha R1SP;
                In an interview with the New Scientist magazine marking his birthday, Stephen Hawking was asked what he thought about most during the day, and replied: "Women. They are a complete mystery."
                Amen, brother. Amen.
                My nemesis; Barfridge

Comment

Ah Hornet, I knew there was something like that around, thanks! I should've looked harder.

Comment

If the road has 2 or more lanes then you can overtake a vehicle on either side. The hi-vis repsol rider was behaving legally. However I wouldn't do that as the cars may move closer to the kerb or turn left.
                    ROAD TRAFFIC CODE 2000 - REG 122
                    When due process fails us, we really do live in a world of terror. — JC Denton

Comment

Originally posted by SMEGAMAN View Post
                      Ah Hornet, I knew there was something like that around, thanks! I should've looked harder.
                      No probs.
                      2006 Yamaha R1SP;
                      In an interview with the New Scientist magazine marking his birthday, Stephen Hawking was asked what he thought about most during the day, and replied: "Women. They are a complete mystery."
                      Amen, brother. Amen.
                      My nemesis; Barfridge

Comment

I split down the left hand side next to the curb daily coming up to the whatley cresent and guildford road intersections. But I only do it when traffic isnt moving, and obviously if there is sufficient space between the car and the curb. I split on the left because it is a single lane road there and if I was on the right hand side I would be coming extremely close to on coming traffic. That is pretty much the only place I will ever do it because there is a no left turn and no right turn at the lights there so I know everyone is going straight ahead and the chances of people making a turn is minimal.

All other times if I split it is down the center of the two lanes, and I try and idle along on second gear so if I have to give it a little squirt to keep moving my exhaust isn't too loud so it doesn't scare the shit out of the cages.
                        Originally posted by browncow
                        Sometimes, I see you post, and I understand what all the individual words mean, but I have no idea what you're actually saying.

Comment

Illegal,stupid and Dangerous.
                          You know what you get for being a hero? Nothing. You get shot at. A little pat on the back, blah blah blah, attaboy. You get divorced. Your wife can't remember your last name. Kids don't wanna talk to you. Get to eat a lot of meals by yourself. Trust me kid, nobody wants to be that guy

Comment

Hornet - your quote is a bit dated, mate. Deej et al posted that BEFORE amendments were made to the Road Traffic Code last year.

It is now legal to overtake on the left provided it is "safe to do so".

But that left track is where no-one looks, where passengers being dropped off will jump out of the car and where all the shit (bolts, screws, wire, etc) tend to accumulate. From a safety perspective I tend not to use it.

Although sometimes it's just too inviting to refuse Especially when someone's already grabbed the spot between the lanes.
                            "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

If its possible to go down the center of the lanes I always do, even if some one else is there. I will just sit behind them and squeeze into the gap that gets created when the cars take off, the situation I described is really the only time I think I would even consider the left hand track for splitting.
                              Originally posted by browncow
                              Sometimes, I see you post, and I understand what all the individual words mean, but I have no idea what you're actually saying.

Comment

Working...
                              X