What is your ideal commuter bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your ideal commuter bike?

The recent Scooter thread got me thinking..

What is your ideal commuter bike?

Rules:

1. U live within 5 klm of the city.
    2. U want to be able to travel on the freeway if you want, so you have to at least be able to do freeway speeds to be safe (100kph)
    3. U want something that is nimble, light, and not bulky so that it is easy to split, throw around city traffic, and park up. This pretty much rules out the larger cc bikes.
    4. U have a 'R' class.
    5. It must be new (IE a current model you can by new).
    6. It may be step thru, or it may be leg over.
    7. It can be a manual or auto (lacky band) transmission.
    8. You must be able to put A4 documents in it somewhere where it will not get wet or blow away (it can be in a top box if they are avail aftermarket for it).
    9. You must be able to store at least one full face lid in it or on it securely.
    10. You must be able to get on it, started, get it riding, and get off it, locked, and walk away with ease and without too much pomp and ceremony.
    11. It must be available to buy in Australia.
    12. It must be under AUD20k.

Question: What is your ideal commuter bike? Put a direct link to the manufacturers webpage.

So on the eight day, after wasting time faffing about with unimportant guff like heaven & earth & the waters & sky & creatures [& having a wee kip] & man.... God created PSB (GenesiSX-R1000)

Something like an FZ6 or ER-6, suitable stance for seeing through traffic, not hardcore sporty suspension or anything, ugly as sin so doesn't matter if you crash
    http://jupiterstravellers.org

Comment

80cc big bore with 0.9mm squish vmoto..

on premix with colder plugs and umm double the standard main jet size :p

(and pod filters)
      Originally posted by Bendito
      If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

Sounds like you want an ACROSS!!!!

Have a look at some 125cc scooters.

Comment

VTR250 with a big topbox on the back (helmet/papers).
          Riding for Cameron Elliott #52
          1985 - 2009

Comment

Aprilia manna but to be honest within 5kms of the CBD assuming you work in the CBD I think a deadly treadly would be about all you need and the train does 100kms plus up and down the freeway. Otherwise a scooter 125cc plus the Italian screw them together better than anyone else Gilera Fucco or nexus although again we are using a sledge hammer to crack a nut, if running expenses were a factor current vespa or aprilia would do probally need a top box though most scooters won't take a full face helmet.
            Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Iv been sitting here a few hours racking my brain and struggle to think of anything better than a step thru Vespa 300 (with top box).

Link: GTS300 Super — Piaggio

So on the eight day, after wasting time faffing about with unimportant guff like heaven & earth & the waters & sky & creatures [& having a wee kip] & man.... God created PSB (GenesiSX-R1000)

Comment

Originally posted by Nero Diablo View Post
                deadly treadly would be about all you need
                im finding it difficult to picture you on a tredley murry

Originally posted by Deej View Post
                Iv been sitting here a few hours racking my brain and struggle to think of anything better than a step thru Vespa 300: GTS300 Super — Piaggio
                the problem with big 4T scooters, is there is no street cred for smacking big 4t scooters.. unless you are riding a '50'
                If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

Street tripple with a helmet lock. 5km who needs to wear a jacket any way just go in work clothes unless it rains.
                  Hot air balloons, the gentleman's escape vehicle.

Comment

One word - Two syllables....Motard

eg-
                    690 Duke KTM; or
                    DRZ400 Suzuki

would be my front runners.
                    Last edited by Charlie Dustbin; 26-09-2009, 12:11 AM. Reason: forgot to mention some eg's
                    I conform with non-conformists.

Comment

Originally posted by Nero Diablo View Post
                      Originally posted by Deej View Post
                      Iv been sitting here a few hours racking my brain and struggle to think of anything better than a step thru Vespa 300 (with top box).

Link: GTS300 Super — Piaggio

These were the two that came to mind...

Comment

CBR125, $3500 new , does 90k easy , and uses hardly a drop of fuel . Bought one for the missus, she loves it , I use it for work , and was one of the best investments I have ever bought. Is also raucus fun doing Vale' Rossi knee slides..
                        Sventek, being a predominantly lazy fuck can you please purchase some for me, bring me the stuff, create something I want after you think of it for me then clean my house, wash my car, dog, bike breathe for me.

Comment

the vespa looks like the most practical for that scenario.

i cant imagine living and working within 5km of the cbd so its hard to say if id actually get something like that if i did. when i was commuting ~100km each way to work each day I was seriously looking at getting an er6. (ended up just moving house instead)
                          TV Antennas - Home theatre installations - TV's wall mounted - Phone and data cabling - TV reception service & repairs - Much more...
                          Discounts for PSB members
                          ----------
                          [email protected] - Ph: 0415 425 524 - or PM me

Comment

I have beered a bit so i am ignoring "U want something that is nimble, light, and not bulky so that it is easy to split, throw around city traffic, and park up. This pretty much rules out the larger cc bikes."

Comment

Originally posted by Maxo View Post
                              ^0plates

Comment

Working...
                              X