No announcement yet.

How many bikes have retard protection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many bikes have retard protection?

By this, I refer to interlocks that prevent you starting your bike when:

- Kickstand is down & bike is in gear.

- Bike is in gear and clutch is engaged

- Other scenarios I may have missed when thumbing the starter would cause bike to jolt forward, and risk sending you both to the pavement.

I just wonder this because the latter has saved my ass 3-4 times, which might not sound like much, but if each of those was a drop, start to seem a little more important.

So with the second interlock I mentioned, is that a modern-bike thing, or something that's on most/all bikes?

Or is the starter motor on a bike that pissweak that it probably wouldn't be too big of a deal?
    Originally posted by Dragunov-21
    If you want me to answer a question, I want you to ask one that doesn't put words in my mouth that were never there.

If you tried to start your bike in gear without holding in your clutch lever, it would stall anyway.

edit: my bike has those stupid-proof features too.
    Last edited by drifter; 28-09-2009, 04:12 PM.
    Need a website designer? PM me for a quote.
    Here are some sites I've done recently - Velocity Race Team | Business Insurance | West Perth Insurance Broker | Labour Hire | Final Trim Operators

Comment

you want a complete list? Think anything made from 92 onwards i guess. I know my 98 firestorm has a clutch-kickstand switch.

Comment

Originally posted by drifter View Post
        If you tried to start your bike in gear without holding in your clutch lever, it would stall anyway.
        Would it jolt you enough to knock you off-balance if you got caught unawares?

Originally posted by Infusi0n View Post
        you want a complete list? Think anything made from 92 onwards i guess. I know my 98 firestorm has a clutch-kickstand switch.
        Heh, funnily enough not. Just wondering how common it was (new bikes, some bikes, most bikes, etc etc)
        If you want me to answer a question, I want you to ask one that doesn't put words in my mouth that were never there.

Comment

i can't start my bike in gear with the stand down at all, and even in neutral i have to pull the clutch in to start it. Its a suzuki thing.
          If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

Hate it eg when you fill up at a servo , start bike , select 1st , let out clutch - shuts off ..... repeat wondering why the hell it did that ..... shuts off..................

Realise side stand isn't all the way up , (mental note to WD40 when i get home) pull tinted visor down so no one can see red face:mellow: - ride off ........ gently. .

don't fugging lie I KNOW you've done it too
            When life throws you a few curves
            GET YOUR KNEE DOWN!!

Comment

What? My bike will shut off if the sidestand is down as soon as you put it in gear. And no, I've never done it more than once. Couple of times i've flicked the stand up and it hasnt gone up quite all the way, that's always irritating.
              If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

Originally posted by MattstaZX10r View Post
                don't fugging lie I KNOW you've done it too
                No.

Comment

My blackbird has the sidestand switch, MM109R has the sidestand switch and the in gear switch and my 98 TTR600 Belgarda has the sidestand switch.
                  I bought my wife a hyo 250 a few years back and noticed it had the same cut outs as suzuki as well

Comment

Originally posted by Semi View Post
                    What? My bike will shut off if the sidestand is down as soon as you put it in gear. And no, I've never done it more than once. Couple of times i've flicked the stand up and it hasnt gone up quite all the way, that's always irritating.
                    Yeah gixxa's are like that - they sorta 'clunk' and stall as soon as you try yo put it into gear.. Kwaka's just shut off the sparkles as the clutch interlock switch is triggered (much more subtle)

....even more irritating when you're thinking 'bike running a bit crook' at the time not realising side stand is a bit sticky

Do Duke's not have anti retard technology Desmo???

never????
                    When life throws you a few curves
                    GET YOUR KNEE DOWN!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dragunov-21 View Post
                      Would it jolt you enough to knock you off-balance if you got caught unawares?
                      Its a mechanical process not really a retard protection device, so I guess that it would depend on how high your idle is set as to how quickly/severely your bike stalls.

edit: bike wont start without clutch lever in
                      Last edited by drifter; 28-09-2009, 04:11 PM.
                      Here are some sites I've done recently - Velocity Race Team | Business Insurance | West Perth Insurance Broker | Labour Hire | Final Trim Operators

Comment

I thought it was a mechanical process designed to provide protection from retarded mistakes?

Comment

Originally posted by drifter View Post
                          Its a mechanical process not really a retard protection device, so I guess that it would depend on how high your idle is set as to how quickly/severely your bike stalls.
                          What are you talking about? It's not a mechanical process, it IS a retard protection device. And your idle has nothing to do with it, your bike will get jolted by your starter motor.

Comment

let me watch if you ever try it, but i'm pretty sure if you held the accelerator open a little whilst starting in gear without your clutch lever in, you'd be off moving pretty quickly.

edit: bike wont start without clutch lever in
                            Last edited by drifter; 28-09-2009, 04:10 PM.

Comment

I suppose if you've got your throttle open it might take off. Maybe.
                              But what has your idle got to do with it?

Comment

Working...
                              X