My Nolan N102 has a skin disorder!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Nolan N102 has a skin disorder!

Anyone ever have problems with Nolan helmets losing the paint? Since i rode round Aus, the hard coat on my helmet has started to flake off in places. However I've just had a fiddle with it and now it's coming off in huge strips!

I've not dropped it so it's not damaged or cracked

I know it's probably time to buy a new helmet and i'm sure i'll get recommendations but i have a huge noggin and only the N102 in XXL fits nicely. I've tride the new Shark flip front with the internal visor but in's not available in "pumpkin head" fitting.

I am just wondering if this is an isolated incident with Nolans or a common problem?? I was going to order a new 102 in matt black....

How old is the helmet?

Comment

couple of years

Comment

BigCat

I got a flip face and didnt quite fall in love with the nolan.. I tried just about every flip face and was convinced on the Shoei for the best part of 1k.

Then by chance I popped into Helmet house and tried the new model Zues Flip face great helmet and comfy as.. Has the internal visor and is only worth 350 bucks..

Worth considering if you are in the market for a new one.

Comment

HI Fozzy, is your helmet one of these?

Zeus ZS-3000A Helmet

I remember trying on a Zeus flip helmet in HH a while ago but it didn't fit my big cabbage head lol

Comment

I love my Nolan N102 and can't wait until the N103 arrives (if at all).

D'Art

Comment

BC,

yeah same as that..

Comment

Originally posted by D'Artagnan View Post
                I love my Nolan N102 and can't wait until the N103 arrives (if at all).

D'Art
                Any paint problems with yours? I've been sitting here peeling off the paint for so long i'm ending up with a gloss white helmet! It's amazing how easy it is to get off. I might just strip it and get some graphics for it....from somewhere...

Those N103s are nice - internal visor i notice too!

PS taa Fozzy
                Last edited by BigCat; 29-09-2009, 06:05 PM.

Comment

EDIT: I just saved myself $450. Check these pics out, 2 hours work and voila A previously silver helmet is now white!

I'm surprised at the paint finish on these helmets, it looks like the silver hard coat had been sprayed on over an already gloss finish, as as we know paint doesn't stick very well to gloss, hence i'm guessing why it came off so easily.

Just need to get some stickers for it now....
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by BigCat; 08-10-2009, 08:17 AM. Reason: upload another pic

Comment

Good work, maybe it was a stuff up from factory?
                    ZippySig.com

Comment

I don't know about saving yourself. If you're a regular rider, and it's had 2 years of wear, it doesn't really surprise me that the paint was starting to peel... Helmets are consumables.

Then there's the matter of the AS sticker... It's probably still sticking to the helmet courtesy of the original layer of paint...

Comment

Nah i'd say it was poor manufacturing rather than being worn out as the white gloss plastic underneath is in perfect shape.

And yes the AS sticker is still on the old paint - i was very careful not to remove it and i doubt it'll come off unless someone picks at it.

It'll do for now anyway, i can spend the savings on a service

Comment

that or someone has sprayed or spilled sum shit on ur helmet and not told you......
                          Our Father, Who art at Phillip Island, Hallowed be thy name
                          Thy Kingdom come, thy will be done
                          In the backroads as it is on the freeway
                          Give us this day our high-octane premium fuel
                          And forgive us our lanesplitting
                          As we forgive the four wheel drives, the volvos and the taxis
                          And lead us not into gravel corners
                          But deliver us from hand-held radars
                          For thine is thy leather, thy denim, thy Gore-Tex and thy Kevlar
                          Amen ORIGINAL POST BY DEB

Comment

Nolan's are made from Lexan (polycarbonate) and sprayed with a "water-borne" type of paint. I THINK (don't know for fact) that paint for polycarbonate needs to be specifically formulated due to the low natural adhesion. The white would be the base colour of the material itself with the silver paint over the top. Other than possible UV damage eventually weakening the structure, which may or may not be a problem as I have no information on it, there doesn't seem to be a problem with it.

Oh, I have a Nolan N102 as well but have had no paint peeling with mine.

Comment

Originally posted by BigCat View Post
                              Any paint problems with yours? I've been sitting here peeling off the paint for so long i'm ending up with a gloss white helmet! It's amazing how easy it is to get off. I might just strip it and get some graphics for it....from somewhere...

Those N103s are nice - internal visor i notice too!

PS taa Fozzy
                              Nup. Mines fine except I've lost the left hand cover piece (the little bit that goes over the visor release).

Nice fix-up job!

Comment

Working...
                              X