ok to be in 6th?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok to be in 6th?

Just wondering, will this do any harm to the bike if i putt around the metro area in 6th gear 60/70km roads (doing the speed limit)

the bike still has plenty of pull in 6th at 70km but i wonder what effect this has on the bike in the long term, if any?

i do it... i can hear my bike doesnt like to go under 3300 (of 15000). so i keep it over that. doesnt mean its good or bad tho
    The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Comment

You just got an 02 R1 yeah?

As long as the engine isn't constantly labouring it won't do any damage.

Keep it over about 2/3k RPM and you won't have a problem.

Much more fun stayin in 3rd or 4th though and listening to the music ^_^
      Riding for Cameron Elliott #52
      1985 - 2009

Comment

What sort of bike is it, yes it does make a difference. CBR125...ok...CBR1000rr, not ok.

Comment

Hey Mike....6th is fine

I've done it with every bike i've ever owned..... 6th at 60kmh..no probs.
          Just don't expect lightening fast overtaking manouvers

As you get used to your bike, you will get a feel for what speed you can get around at in top gear....once it's gets too low, it will start chugging and you will definately know it's not suitable...

Just experiment a little bit and you will get to learn your bike better

Comment

I CBF shifting so I stay in 3rd at around 6000rpm, 4th in the highways.
            My theory is the engine is revving higher but with less load therefore lower fuel consumption. Compared to revving lower but working harder and needing to pour more fuel in to keep the revs at 3k.
            Correct me if I am wrong though.

Comment

btw, my bike is an r1 in 6th at 60/70 it still has a lot more power than my 250 ever did and hums along at granny level revs! bike does not shudder though

Comment

Why would you want to?

Comment

Yeah at 70 it should be fine to click it in 6th. But I wouldnt go any lower then 70. Usually i stay in 3rd/4th at 70 though just coz i like the noise
                  ZippySig.com

Comment

Each bike has an engine efficiency curve. There will be some specific rpm that is most efficient and you should choose a gear that most closely matches that rpm for the required speed - only matters is you want best fuel efficiency.

Wouldn't it be safer to be a gear or two lower though? Your exhaust is louder (people hear it) and you have the torque on hand to get out of trouble.

Anyone know of a mechanical reason not to sit in a high gear at low speeds? Is it possible to foul plugs doing this (maybe not in an efi model)?
                    Originally posted by Roger Explosion
                    Running giveway signs is not hooning. Only dangerous actions like reving your engine is...

Comment

thought this would be more of a overdrive gear ?

Comment

I hear that if you get too much engine shudder (labouring), it can cause the uranium to seep out of the cylinders and cause bad burns to the legs and feet of the rider. ^_^

This apparently only happens on R1's too.
                        ZippySig.com

Comment

Originally posted by AWSE View Post
                          I CBF shifting so I stay in 3rd at around 6000rpm, 4th in the highways.
                          My theory is the engine is revving higher but with less load therefore lower fuel consumption. Compared to revving lower but working harder and needing to pour more fuel in to keep the revs at 3k.
                          Correct me if I am wrong though.
                          You are wrong.
                          yes, i am ignorant
                          yes, i am a prick
                          no, i don't care
                          you make me sick

Comment

i just got this bike and havnt had much of a chance to ride it at all, i guess in time i'll get a feel for what its like at speed.

true, for safety reasons, it would be good to have the bike in a lower gear to pull out, but then there's that question of fuel efficiency at constant speed. Just gotta find the balance between the two. But if it does no harm to engine sitting on 3k rpm all day, then thats good

Comment

SS, Dont just say I'm wrong without giving reason as to why?

Comment

Working...
                              X