Plastic welding a carby bowl.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastic welding a carby bowl.

Has anyone here tried using a soldering iron to close a pin hole leak in a plastic carby float bowl? Did it work? I have a leaker and I'm considering doing this as the nearest replacement I have found is in Germany.
    Please, call me Flash...

Superglue? Dont know if it is resistant to hydrocarbons.
    They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

Can't hurt to try if you're gonna have to replace it if you don't fix it.

That said, you should be able to get some sort of epoxy to do the job - pretty sure you can find some that would be ok with petroleum products.
      Originally posted by Dragunov-21
      If you want me to answer a question, I want you to ask one that doesn't put words in my mouth that were never there.

Comment

Epoxy/araldite works fairly well.
        Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

ive found that araldite goes soft after prolonged exposure to petrol.
          IM ALWAYS ON THE EDGE, ITS ONLY THE SHARPNESS THAT VARYS

Comment

try one of the knead -it compounds
            Selleys Knead It Steel
            A site all parents should check regulary
            http://www.mako.org.au/temp_a.html

(+)

Comment

Would steel putty be the best thing to use on plastic?

I'm not saying it wouldn't, just asking if it would.
              Originally posted by Dragunov-21
              If you want me to answer a question, I want you to ask one that doesn't put words in my mouth that were never there.

Comment

keep reading the links on the page ... "one of" the knead-it products......there is aqua and multipurpose and are about $12ish a tube......but it is real sticky stuff...

maybe get another placy carbie and melt a bit of that over the hole with a soldering iron

the link does say to use the steel one on metal or fuel

Handy tips
                • Ensure the putty and hardener are mixed properly. Knead-It will become warm as it is mixed, A good indication its mixed properly is when you have a uniform colour, and feel a mild heat radiating from thre knead-it.
                • To help determine when your knead it has set, keep a small piece off to check- when it is hard, it indicates your job is done.
                • Use Knead-It Aqua for applications in wet/ submerged areas.
                • Use Knead-It Steel for applications on metal or fuel contact
                • For cleaning surfaces prior to application of adhesive, if the surface is porous, we would recommend using SELLEYS Liquid Sugar Soap. If the surface is non-porous eg glass or metal, firstly clean the surface with mineral turpentine and then again with methylated spirits. If there is old, difficult to remove residue such as old paint, we recommend using paint stripper such as SELLEYS Kwik Strip Smart. Ensure the surface is dry before applying the product
                • Keep a canister of SELLEYS Hand Kleen Wipes nearby for a quick and effective cleanup
                A site all parents should check regulary
                http://www.mako.org.au/temp_a.html

(+)

Comment

FH, try some Quiksteel Plastic Tank Repair, part #6522k
                  Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via
                  For The Tenacious, No Road Is Impassable

Comment

Pm JME

He isnt far from work and is a gun plastic welder
                    He will tell you straight whether it can be done

Bert
                    It's better to be thought stupid than open your mouth and remove all doubt

Pure speed in sixth gear on a 5,000 foot straightaway is one thing, but pure speed in third gear on a gravel-strewn, downhill, ess turn is quite another.
                    Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Cheers lads!

I'm ordering a new one tonight but I want to ride this weekend. Something out of a tube will do nicely. It's only got to last a week or so as Germany delivers fast.

Thanks again.
                      Please, call me Flash...

Comment

You can get fuel & oil resistant RTV sealant. Would be perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by Flash Harry View Post
                          Cheers lads!

I'm ordering a new one tonight but I want to ride this weekend. Something out of a tube will do nicely. It's only got to last a week or so as Germany delivers fast.

Thanks again.
                          hot screwdriver mate
                          Last edited by potato; 01-10-2009, 09:53 PM.

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

For future reference I do PE welding at work. We can fix most PE and PP plastics, the materials we use are resistant to petroleum and chemical products.

Comment

Working...
                            X